Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2016, er, 2017 Acura NSX aimed at Ferrari 458 for the price of Audi R8

Old 12-04-2017, 10:26 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Lot of Honda haters sheesh
Old 12-04-2017, 10:51 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
I'd put money down that I could direct a team to produce a better car then the NSX for less money then Honda pissed away at it and in less time. Honda has lost its way as a product company.
LOL wut?

Another person who thinks HP is everything and is angry because Honda choose not to build the car he/she wanted. I mean what is more important to Honda? Pleasing a small group of people who argues on forums who may not purchase the cars anyway or invest money on technologies that can be implemented in future production cars that can benefit the masses a.k.a. pleasing wall street.

Sure, build 700+ hp super cars that is what Honda is about.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:43 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
Lot of Honda haters sheesh
yet this is a Honda board.
even on NSXprime, the new NSX still don't get the love.

what does that tell you about the NSX?
Old 12-04-2017, 03:55 PM

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

The project clearly had issues, most of which appear to have been from Honda's plan for what the Gen2 would be.

The HSC timing would have avoided a big gap in having an NSX in the market. But Honda aimed the car too low in terms of performance, they got crapped on in a major way and canned it (Strike 1).

Some years later they willed out the F/R V10 prototype, seemed like a low cost LFA and then they said it didn't meet performance target and they dumped it (Strike 2).

A few years later, out comes the mid/rear car with the transverse drivetrain and that doesn't meet performance targets and can't offer better future performance due to packaging and they decided to go another way (Strike 3).

Then the longitudinal drivetrain is developed and the car is launched (the 4th version in my mind).

For many years we heard folks clammer for the new car, Honda Japan didn't adequately support the program, Honda US kept pushing to move it forward and some how got it done.

With a history like that, tough to have a major success at the end of the day.
The following users liked this post:
LUV2REV (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 04:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchcargo
The project clearly had issues, most of which appear to have been from Honda's plan for what the Gen2 would be.

The HSC timing would have avoided a big gap in having an NSX in the market. But Honda aimed the car too low in terms of performance, they got crapped on in a major way and canned it (Strike 1).

Some years later they willed out the F/R V10 prototype, seemed like a low cost LFA and then they said it didn't meet performance target and they dumped it (Strike 2).

A few years later, out comes the mid/rear car with the transverse drivetrain and that doesn't meet performance targets and can't offer better future performance due to packaging and they decided to go another way (Strike 3).

Then the longitudinal drivetrain is developed and the car is launched (the 4th version in my mind).

For many years we heard folks clammer for the new car, Honda Japan didn't adequately support the program, Honda US kept pushing to move it forward and some how got it done.

With a history like that, tough to have a major success at the end of the day.
Well said.

I really like the look of the new NSX but loathe hybrid powertrains in performance cars (P1, LaFerrari, 918 included). I would probably love the NSX if it had a naturally aspirated V8/V10 motor or even just the bi-turbo V6 sans the electric crap, a bi-turbo V8 would have been even better.
The following users liked this post:
WolfpackS2k (12-05-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 04:32 PM

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

I understand the push back regarding the hybrid.

But I can say after about 14 months with the car and 5200 miles, it is a tremendous toy.

So smooth and capable.

Late to market, yes, pricey for Honda power yes, but a great car nonetheless and the owners generally agree on that.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:37 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
For the love of God man, can you please update your phone's iOS so we don't have to look at all the weird symbols that your phone is putting out?

Wouldn't a car with 3 pedals and a shifter give you a more immersive driving experience?

Congrats on car ownership btw, despite any gripes it's still an amazing car in it's own right. Actually saw my first one in the flesh a few nights ago. White. Was driving other direction so it was brief.
haha.. I did update, but it still looks weird on some devices, not on my new mac though...weird. Well, I got a new phone today from work so maybe that will fix it.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:35 PM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchcargo
s2kto, do you post on NSX Prime?

Nice to see other Gen 2 owners enjoying their cars.

I complain about the Contis because I just don't want them. They perform fine.

My Pirelli Sotto Zero 3 winter tires inspire more confidence than the Contis.
I haven't posted on the NSX Prime, I have been a member at this forum since 2000. I will check it out, thank you for the heads up.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:56 PM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
For the love of God man, can you please update your phone's iOS so we don't have to look at all the weird symbols that your phone is putting out?

Wouldn't a car with 3 pedals and a shifter give you a more immersive driving experience?

Congrats on car ownership btw, despite any gripes it's still an amazing car in it's own right. Actually saw my first one in the flesh a few nights ago. White. Was driving other direction so it was brief.
Love three pedals but for this car the DCT is a good choice. I still have my S2000 and RX8 to get my manual fix, I do not lament the NSX not having a manual option, the DCT can be very immersive while providing a new experience. The other day I had to make an emergency stop, I was in full auto mode. It downshifted 3 times while I was panic braking and steering to avoid the situation. As much as I support and love manuals, there is no way I could have been as effective shifting myself.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:27 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

To the owners of this car, yes I know the car is great as it should be given the cost and niche it serves. My question though is if this car were not a hybrid would that have been a deal breaker? For instance if a prius was not a hybrid that would be a deal breaker because the hybrid system defines that car. In the Laferrari, 918, and p1, the electric motors give an instant power delivery virtually unmatched by gas engines although I'm not too sure about that. In the nsx though it doesn't help the car achieve out of this world performance even in its price segment, may get better gas mileage si was that a selling point, and I wonder how much better it would feel and handle with less weight.