Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2016, er, 2017 Acura NSX aimed at Ferrari 458 for the price of Audi R8

Old 01-16-2018, 06:30 AM
CMK

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
So... you buy cars then based on how people perceive you driving it?
I used to be in this camp when I was in my late teens and early twenties. I'm in my thirties now and have left that concern way behind me.

If my 18 year old self knew I had a not-so-secret desire to own a C7 convertible he'd probably wonder if I was an impostor.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:56 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Found out last weekend than one of my neighbors has a new white NSX. Will have to get a ride in it sometime once it's warmer outside.
Maybe you'll actually like it. Have you asked him or her why picked NSX over all the other cars he/she could of bought at this price range?
Old 01-17-2018, 07:52 AM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by CMK
I used to be in this camp when I was in my late teens and early twenties. I'm in my thirties now and have left that concern way behind me.

If my 18 year old self knew I had a not-so-secret desire to own a C7 convertible he'd probably wonder if I was an impostor.

I completely relate to this post. Haha.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:52 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Decades of stigma and stereotype. When you buy a Corvette or any marque, you buy into he imagine regardless of its warranted or not. I would not own a Vette based on my perception of the brand and the connotations of the people who drive them.
You know, I was going to give you crap for worrying about what other people think like your self-worth or social standing is predicated on what car you drive, but I decided not to. My old neighbor, who is still a very good friend, really likes my ZR1 and my previous '08 Z51 Vette. I've let him drive both at local road courses around here including COTA and I've driven his very nice PDK Boxster S, a 2013 model.

Anyway, he and his wife grew up and lived in CT for a long time. My neighbor has admitted to me the Vette stereotype isn't good up there and basically there's no way he'd be allowed to ever buy a Vette because his wife even feels more strongly than he does about not liking Vettes. I guess they had some bad experiences up there. haha. So, I get it that you're from Boston and maybe a bunch of DB's drive Vettes up there and you don't want to be associated with that crowd. Luckily here in TX, most people don't care what people drive as there is such a HUGE variety of cars all over DFW. To each their own..
Old 01-20-2018, 08:36 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

It’s pretty sad when people care about brand prestige or perception IMO. If that’s the case, why buy an s2000?
I’ll drive any brand. All I care about is how it drives. No brand loyalty here either, makes no sense to me.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:07 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
You know, I was going to give you crap for worrying about what other people think like your self-worth or social standing is predicated on what car you drive, but I decided not to. My old neighbor, who is still a very good friend, really likes my ZR1 and my previous '08 Z51 Vette. I've let him drive both at local road courses around here including COTA and I've driven his very nice PDK Boxster S, a 2013 model.

Anyway, he and his wife grew up and lived in CT for a long time. My neighbor has admitted to me the Vette stereotype isn't good up there and basically there's no way he'd be allowed to ever buy a Vette because his wife even feels more strongly than he does about not liking Vettes. I guess they had some bad experiences up there. haha. So, I get it that you're from Boston and maybe a bunch of DB's drive Vettes up there and you don't want to be associated with that crowd. Luckily here in TX, most people don't care what people drive as there is such a HUGE variety of cars all over DFW. To each their own..
Hmm good insight there, I don't want to get all philosophical political on stereotype tolerance based on race, but having deal with stereotypes my whole life, my car is the least of my concerns, but I can see your point and it makes sense. When I owned my vette, I actually enjoyed wearing aloha shirts to sorta troll, but Im neither middle aged nor white, and I grew up in Hawaii. My fiance didn't think it was as funny though. So I sorta made it a point to wear shorts and a hat when I drove my vette otherwise.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

seeing them go for $30k off + another $15-20k off MSRP is giving me renewed consideration.

$120-$130k brings it back inline.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:38 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Where I grew up (Cape Cod), American sports cars were looked down on... Driving a Peugeot MI16 Turbo, Lancia Beta, Porsche 944, or Maserati Biturbo was way cooler than any Vette, Camaro, or Mustang. A Grand National would be it for American sports cars that were cool. The level up would be the Japanese sports cars before getting into European brands. European brands just have deeper consumer roots for sports car than American cars here. The connotation is you bought a Vette or the like because it is American; not because you wanted the best sports car. American cars in general are for a lower class.

People treat you the way you present yourself for better or worse. If all they see is the periphery; that's what they go with. If their framework sees thing as such, that is how they process it... Just like your neighbors from CT.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:14 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Where I grew up (Cape Cod), American sports cars were looked down on... Driving a Peugeot MI16 Turbo, Lancia Beta, Porsche 944, or Maserati Biturbo was way cooler than any Vette, Camaro, or Mustang. A Grand National would be it for American sports cars that were cool. The level up would be the Japanese sports cars before getting into European brands. European brands just have deeper consumer roots for sports car than American cars here. The connotation is you bought a Vette or the like because it is American; not because you wanted the best sports car. American cars in general are for a lower class.

People treat you the way you present yourself for better or worse. If all they see is the periphery; that's what they go with. If their framework sees thing as such, that is how they process it... Just like your neighbors from CT.
I get it and I appreciate your perspective. I guess I just wouldn't want to associate with people that classify people based on what kind of car they drive. Since my wife and I had our baby, she has taken over the LX570 until we get her another SUV and I've been driving the '16 Camaro SS to work. I love it. It's comfortable, sounds great, actually gets good mileage at a steady cruise due to the 4 cylinder mode, and looks pretty good IMHO.

I don't care that people think I'm maybe WT pimping around in a Camaro. Maybe I am WT and proud of it. I'm a car guy and if a car's cool, I don't care where it comes from or it's provenance.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:29 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

I guess I just wouldn't want to associate with people that classify people based on what kind of car they drive.
So, you're saying you have no prejudicial opinion when you see someone drive a car? You're unable assume anything about a young kid driving a La Ferrari or an middle age woman in a Rolls Royce Wraith? Nothing in your thoughts come to mind that might be an association to the person and car?