Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2016, er, 2017 Acura NSX aimed at Ferrari 458 for the price of Audi R8

Old 01-22-2018, 06:23 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
So, you're saying you have no prejudicial opinion when you see someone drive a car? You're unable assume anything about a young kid driving a La Ferrari or an middle age woman in a Rolls Royce Wraith? Nothing in your thoughts come to mind that might be an association to the person and car?
It's 2018 and he is just trying to be politically correct.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:27 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

So, you're saying you have no prejudicial opinion when you see someone drive a car? You're unable assume anything about a young kid driving a La Ferrari or an middle age woman in a Rolls Royce Wraith? Nothing in your thoughts come to mind that might be an association to the person and car?
That is correct. I don't pre-judge people based on what kind of car they drive. I've seen it all, including an old client of a firm I worked at that drove a 10 year old Grand Marquis that was worth a few hundred million dollars in liquid net worth. I saw his statements. Then, DFW is full of $40,000 millionaires, meaning they make $40k/yr but pimp around in a BMW, live in a nice apartment, and go out almost every night. They have huge amounts of personal debt.

There is such a variety of people here in DFW that you just never know and I've met every different kind, so what's the point of a prejudicial opinion of someone based on what they drive? You're likely to be wrong, so I just don't.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:31 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Now I think you're going too far, and arguing based on absolutes. It's human nature to make prejudices, it's a survival instinct to he opportunistic and identify risks. And there will always be people to judge, yet the most successful people, I'll use Sam Walton and Warren Buffett as an example, still drive cars that would unacceptable based on your theory.
People with money buy what they like and could give a damn what you think. People who think they have money only care what others think. Usually it works out that people with money perpetuate the preconceived notions you're referring to, in that they don't buy lower end cars, especially domestic.
I guess for me I'm comfortable with people thinking that whatever I drive is what I can afford, because it probably is. But i live in the bay area where multi millionaires catch public transportation and wear flannel and jeans to work and drive priuses.
At the track, I was surrounded by high end Porsches, macs, nsx, etc, but I had alot of folks surround my little old vette much to my surprise.
You gotta move out of the burbs man.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:47 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm with QUIKAG here - that's right, I don't pre-judge people based on what car they drive, whether it be a Subaru, Tesla, Porsche, BMW, Honda, Ford, SUV, pickup, sedan, compact, new, old, whatever.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:11 AM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by CMK
I used to be in this camp when I was in my late teens and early twenties. I'm in my thirties now and have left that concern way behind me.

If my 18 year old self knew I had a not-so-secret desire to own a C7 convertible he'd probably wonder if I was an impostor.
A friend is an attorney and could afford pretty much what he wants. He's quite frugal though. This past year he bought the latest vette, because GM discounted them heavily. His is fully loaded with the magnaride, and all the bells, Z51 package, all that stuff, I think the heated/cooled seats, I know it's top spec and the next step is the Z06. He paid 47k. Next day he buys a new DD, a Fit manual sport. Used with 12k on the ODO for 12.5k. I thought it was cool to dump what I call "vehicle ego". I do the same. My DD is similar, small hatch, unassuming, etc. It's quite liberating to say F it, not worry what others think. My DD's used to be a lot nicer, these days, I do not care at all and will continue to drive something inexpensive, and fuel efficient for a DD. That frees up cash to add nice stuff to the stable that I don't drive a lot so they'll last for decades.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:33 AM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
That is correct. I don't pre-judge people based on what kind of car they drive. I've seen it all, including an old client of a firm I worked at that drove a 10 year old Grand Marquis that was worth a few hundred million dollars in liquid net worth. I saw his statements. Then, DFW is full of $40,000 millionaires, meaning they make $40k/yr but pimp around in a BMW, live in a nice apartment, and go out almost every night. They have huge amounts of personal debt.

There is such a variety of people here in DFW that you just never know and I've met every different kind, so what's the point of a prejudicial opinion of someone based on what they drive? You're likely to be wrong, so I just don't.
Same. It is indeed bad here, the vehicle ego, the image bs, it is rampant. I much prefer DD'ing something unassuming. If people want to think I'm poor, broke, whatever, cool. I don't wear clothes, purchase a home, or much of anything based on strangers, image, or any of that bs. Like you, I knew a guy worth probably 50 mil. Had a very large garage full of motorcycles, Ducatis, Yamahas, Hondas, a Wing, a Harley, I mean probably 9-10 motorcycles, and all of them had parts, so double/triple the cost of each. Probably a half mil of bikes. He DD a Chevy truck, not even a new one, probably 7-10 years old. His home had a 3 car garage and a detached one for all the bikes. If you met the guy you'd have no idea what he was worth. Taught me a lot. He used to drive 911's too, but got tired of getting tickets and he said he'd go get an oil change at Porsche and while there they'd inform he'd have to also x, y, and z, and he said he could never get out of there for less than a grand so he got into m/c's.

I have a small stable of bikes. One of them is what I call a pit bike. 125cc scooter to make food/fuel/restroom runs at the track. It's registered with the state so in the summers I'll ride it to my gym that is real close to the house. I pull up one day, am locking up my helmet in the top box and this young guy pulls up with the same gen R1 I have. It looks clapped out, horrible exhaust choice, plate tucked up behind the rear wheel, etc. He asks me if I'm ever going to get a real bike. I laugh, and explain to him that just because I'm pimping a scooter means I don't have other stuff? I tell him I've got his same bike, but I've got about 27-30k in it. He doesn't believe me and I felt like teaching for some stupid reason so I rode the 2 miles home, opened the safe and grabbed the keys, then rode back up there parking mine right next to his. Went upstairs and found him. He walks out a S's a brick. Starts asking me why in the F I'd ride a scooter when I have this. I then tell him it's not my only superbike either. Then I point as his rear tire and explain to him what chicken strips are, and his are awful. And then to look at my rear tire, that is scrubbed edge to edge so I wouldn't ever talk S if I was him. Then explain how firing the beast up, riding it 2 miles and parking it, is bad for the motor and just an absolute waste. That's like having a Ferrari and you only drive it to Starbucks. And that I don't like my nice stuff parked where I have no visibility. Tried to teach the kid something but it went through one ear and out the other. So many are consumed with image. That was a one off and wouldn't do that today, just absolutely pointless. People are narcissistic and judgmental and I just dipped out long ago.

I do quite like having a cheap DD for dates. It weeds out the gold diggers right off the bat. One lady, first date, walking her from her door to it, she says "Is that your car" in a judgmental voice. I do a 180, and she asks if I left something in her apt. I say yeah, you! "I didn't mean anything by it" yes you did. I told her thanks, she saved me a $100 date. Happy trails.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:09 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Now I think you're going too far, and arguing based on absolutes. It's human nature to make prejudices, it's a survival instinct to he opportunistic and identify risks.
That's what I am getting it. If it's not absolute, it's shades of grey that we are guilty of... Members are professing absolutes to say they are not prejudicial... To say one's thought process is devoid of prejudice is quite unique. We have some outstanding high moral people here without prejudice; me not being one of them...
Old 01-22-2018, 09:39 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For better or worse, cars are status symbols.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:22 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

That's what I am getting it. If it's not absolute, it's shades of grey that we are guilty of... Members are professing absolutes to say they are not prejudicial... To say one's thought process is devoid of prejudice is quite unique. We have some outstanding high moral people here without prejudice; me not being one of them...
It's nothing to do with morality, rather its a simple recognition of reality. Think of every single person you've met who drives a Honda - are they all exactly the same people to you, or near enough the same to make you expect every other Honda owner you'll ever meet will be the same as well? If so, you're simply inobservant. Sure, it's amusing to make fun of Corvette drivers as being gold-chain wearing whatevers, but if you actually meet Corvette drivers you'll realize they're as diverse as anybody else. There are several people on s2ki who at various times owned S2000s and Corvettes, sometimes at the same time. What sort of stereotype would you draw about them? When QUIKAG sold his S and purchased his Vette, do you think he suddenly became a different person?

I know enough different Corvette owners, BMW owners, Subaru owners, Porsche owners, etc. etc. etc. to know there's nothing predictive of their personality based on their car choice.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:46 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Elistan
Think of every single person you've met who drives a Honda - are they all exactly the same people to you, or near enough the same to make you expect every other Honda owner you'll ever meet will be the same as well?
I do have some stereotype views of those in a beat up Honda with large wings in the back, ill fitting body kit, stickers on the sides, and lights underneath the car. If that makes me "simply inobservant" than guilty as charged. When I see a dusty new dually with a driver in a cowboy hat and western gear, I assume he may have a ranch or horses. If I am bad person to think that, so be it.