Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2016, er, 2017 Acura NSX aimed at Ferrari 458 for the price of Audi R8

Old 10-13-2014, 09:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn' timestamp='1413221236' post='23367660
I agree with this 100%. They had commercials for this damn car like 2 superbowls ago and we haven't heard anything since. Honda jumped the gun here and I still think it won't be any faster or better than the GTR and it sounds like it will cost more to boot.

I want to hope this car brings Honda back into the performance car arena and ushers in a new round of great cars that live up to the greats of yesteryear but with how long this is taking and the big gaps in any news I do not have high hopes. The original NSX came out at a time when super cars were incredibly unreliable and frankly slow for their price and the NSX forced the likes of Ferrari to rethink how they built their cars. I don't think that is going to happen with this car since the market is very different now than it was when the first one came out.
Haven't heard anything since? More like, you haven't been looking or listening. They haven't done another SuperBowl ad, if that's what you mean, but they've hardly been silent.

It's been on the track at a major North American race, they've taken it to the 'Ring (even crashed one!), they've been running it in the JGTC series as a race car (unrelated powertrain) and Honda has had multiple showings at major auto shows AS WELL AS individual press gatherings for drivetrain details and updates. They also just released another new commercial with the NSX (was posted in another thread recently).

Two years is half (at best) of what it takes to bring a car from concept to production. Honda doing it in under four years will be as good or better than anyone else does it UNLESS they start the design way in advance. Halo cars, designed from the ground up, take a LONG time to complete.

Lexus LF-A? 10 years from prototype to production!
Exactly...Not Sure What This Dude Was Rambling about.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really think Honda's gonna go big in 2015 with the return in F1. There's a ton of history with the NSX involved there, and it just makes too much sense. Two more months of Mercedes power, then it's all focus on Honda. Even the F1 cars today use V6 turbos now.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:49 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Honda may do well their first year in F1 because the other engine manufacturers' designs are frozen and Honda all this time to refine their engine. 2015 may also include Alonso back at McLaren
Old 10-14-2014, 05:56 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by urbanglowcam
I really think Honda's gonna go big in 2015 with the return in F1. There's a ton of history with the NSX involved there, and it just makes too much sense. Two more months of Mercedes power, then it's all focus on Honda. Even the F1 cars today use V6 turbos now.
And a majority of F1 fans hate the FIA for forcing those horrible powertrains on the sport.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:19 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Originally Posted by urbanglowcam' timestamp='1413268156' post='23368606
And a majority of F1 fans hate the FIA for forcing those horrible powertrains on the sport.
I watched my First GP in several years last night, and I was so disappointed that I had to stop watching it. They sounds like vacuum cleaners now. I couldn't hear the cars over the announcers that were talking endlessly about whatever for like 20 minutes straight.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:22 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Worst season and format in 20+ years IMO. So boring and I have no interest in watching GP live since it went to Turbo motors. It's sad when supporting races over the weekend sound better and F1 is looking to bring back older cars with retired drivers to put a show the audience wants to pay for.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:23 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Something we agree wholeheartedly on :-)

I look forward to when the AMG safety cars come out. Only time you can hear a great exhaust note. :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2014, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by urbanglowcam' timestamp='1413268156' post='23368606
Never said they weren't a downgrade from the V8s! lol

Point is, they're closer to what the NSX powerplant will be.

Originally Posted by jimboslice' timestamp='1413296363' post='23368889
[quote name='urbanglowcam' timestamp='1413268156' post='23368606']
I watched my First GP in several years last night, and I was so disappointed that I had to stop watching it. They sounds like vacuum cleaners now. I couldn't hear the cars over the announcers that were talking endlessly about whatever for like 20 minutes straight.
[/quote]

Yeah, the Russian GP was pretty boring. It was more to do with how the drivers basically coasted to a win. There was almost 0 tyre degradation. The drivers themselves even said it was boring. Suzuka was much more interesting (minus Bianchi's incident).
Old 10-14-2014, 07:40 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by urbanglowcam
Point is, they're closer to what the NSX powerplant will be.
Is there any technology sharing between the new NSX and F1? Or are they completely separate programs?
Old 10-14-2014, 08:16 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Power regen and turbo technology are potentially shared, though the two programs are 100% separate. That said, Honda has traditionally put their engineers into some form of motorsports team to get experience that they can take back to their "standard" projects so it's almost guaranteed that some of the design engineers for the NSX have worked in the F1 or JGTC teams at some point.