Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2017 C7 Grand Sport vs. 991.2 Carrera S

Old 11-09-2016, 01:03 PM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
Default 2017 C7 Grand Sport vs. 991.2 Carrera S

New Motor Trend head 2 head episode.

Let's discuss. I just spec'd one at $76k... Not bad, good bang for the buck IMO.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:08 PM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

I think the .2 Carrera S is a better car overall than the C7, particularly in fit/finish/build quality. GM has made huge strides, but it's still a GM car at the end of the day. I own a few of them and think they are great bank for the buck, but I do see the build quality differences between my ZR1, '16 Camaro SS, and then the GT4.

However, being my money and being a pretty cheap bastard in general, I'd buy the Grand Sport in a heart beat and pocket the extra $50k++ and enjoy every drive in the C7. The engine sound in the video on the C7 just sounds insane compared to the fairly benign turbo flat six.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
I think the .2 Carrera S is a better car overall than the C7, particularly in fit/finish/build quality. GM has made huge strides, but it's still a GM car at the end of the day. I own a few of them and think they are great bank for the buck, but I do see the build quality differences between my ZR1, '16 Camaro SS, and then the GT4.

However, being my money and being a pretty cheap bastard in general, I'd buy the Grand Sport in a heart beat and pocket the extra $50k++ and enjoy every drive in the C7. The engine sound in the video on the C7 just sounds insane compared to the fairly benign turbo flat six.
I wonder how the GS would stack up against our GT4 bro...
Old 11-09-2016, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by blueprint
I wonder how the GS would stack up against our GT4 bro...
It would stomp at mud hole in our GT4 at the track. Around town, the GT4 is probably more fun to toss around. I think the GT4 looks better too, but the GS is a nice looking ride too though.

Variety is the spice of life. Glad there are so many good options out there.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:46 PM

It would stomp at mud hole in our GT4 at the track. Around town, the GT4 is probably more fun to toss around. I think the GT4 looks better too, but the GS is a nice looking ride too though.

Variety is the spice of life. Glad there are so many good options out there.
After looking at the specs and other track times around here with the GS i would have to agree with you.

When does your GS arrive Corey?
Old 11-09-2016, 01:59 PM

After looking at the specs and other track times around here with the GS i would have to agree with you.

When does your GS arrive Corey?
I'm at a weird spot where I have too many cars, but I like them all for different reasons and don't want to get rid of any of them. But, I certainly don't need any more and don't really have any more space currently either until I get into my new house in a year or so when it's built. Even then, I won't want to waste a bunch of money on a lot of cars sitting in a garage wasting away.

You should get a GS to park alongside your GT4! Good combo and I can attest to that having a Vette next to the GT4 in the garage is a very good thing!
Old 11-09-2016, 02:29 PM

I'm at a weird spot where I have too many cars, but I like them all for different reasons and don't want to get rid of any of them. But, I certainly don't need any more and don't really have any more space currently either until I get into my new house in a year or so when it's built. Even then, I won't want to waste a bunch of money on a lot of cars sitting in a garage wasting away.

You should get a GS to park alongside your GT4! Good combo and I can attest to that having a Vette next to the GT4 in the garage is a very good thing!
Among your fleet of cars which would you be willing to sacrifice for a C7 GS?

My buddy picked one up however he did not get the Z07 package... Bad move?

I am also currently looking for a bigger house as my 3 kids are getting bigger and we are slowly outgrowing our current place.
Old 11-09-2016, 02:57 PM

Among your fleet of cars which would you be willing to sacrifice for a C7 GS?

My buddy picked one up however he did not get the Z07 package... Bad move?

I am also currently looking for a bigger house as my 3 kids are getting bigger and we are slowly outgrowing our current place.
The Camaro, but I couldn't justify the roughly double the price when we're having fun with it as a daily zip around town car when the weather is okay. When the weather sucks (like the 5" of rain that hit two days ago) it's good to have the LX as the tires on the Camaro are a little skittish in the rain.

I would very seriously consider a GS if something were to happen to my ZR1 (blows up, totalled, etc.). It's a heck of a package and I have no doubt it's a complete blast to drive.

So, the Z07 package on the GS really isn't a necessity IMHO. Cup 2 tires are nice, but can get those later. Carbon ceramic brakes are sweet, but not a requirement, especially since the iron ones are good and cheaper to replace. Z07 suspension tuning isn't a big deal since the GS comes with the mag suspension standard (a requirement IMHO).

Congrats on the growing family. That is always a good thing for sure!
Old 11-09-2016, 05:09 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Strange times are upon us, Porsche outdrags the vette and the vette outhandles the Porsche.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:30 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

These are great cars to pick up at the 3-5 year old mark.

Quick Reply: 2017 C7 Grand Sport vs. 991.2 Carrera S