Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Old 03-23-2016, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
UNGAH! This thing sounds fantastic and goes like stink. I think I prefer it to the Z06 surprisingly.

Mr. EG, the ZL1 is not the super track focused car, but I am sure it can't hold it's own. I am not sure what they will do as far as the next Z28 goes. The last Z28 had LS7 from the C6Z, but obviously using the LT4 that would create some overlap here. I don't think a track focused Camaro would work without some kind of engine upgrade over the base Camaro. I am sure GM could work some more power out of the LT1 but so far, they haven't.

I guess they could use the LS7 again, wouldn't be out of the question...
The LS7 being a Gen IV small block probably means it's not compatible with the new Gen 6 Camaro Alpha platform that is designed to use Gen V small block (and other new generation V6 and turbo 4). I'm guessing it's not worth it to GM to engineer in the capability to drive the older style ECM, wiring, fuel pump, etc. of the "old" engine in their new platform just for one low volume model. Pretty sure LS7 is done for that reason alone. Last Camaro was already running Gen IV engines, so using the LS7 in that care made sense.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:10 AM
CMK

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by fusionchickenleg
True, especially given the GT350's absolute lack of torque below IIRC 3500rpm, probably feels like a dog off the line in normal day to day driving
Yeah, I'm sure it feels like a 4cyl Camry off the line.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:16 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by cfphelps
The LS7 being a Gen IV small block probably means it's not compatible with the new Gen 6 Camaro Alpha platform that is designed to use Gen V small block (and other new generation V6 and turbo 4). I'm guessing it's not worth it to GM to engineer in the capability to drive the older style ECM, wiring, fuel pump, etc. of the "old" engine in their new platform just for one low volume model. Pretty sure LS7 is done for that reason alone. Last Camaro was already running Gen IV engines, so using the LS7 in that care made sense.
The LSx and LTx blocks are very similar, dimensionally. I don't think it'd be any problem to drop the LS7 in the new Alpha platform. I just think it's an "old" engine so they won't use it anymore. Would love to see it, though!

Heck - put the LS7 in the new C7 GrandSport and call it a day. That'd be an amazing machine.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:42 AM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

That's a damn good idea.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by JonBoy

The LSx and LTx blocks are very similar, dimensionally. I don't think it'd be any problem to drop the LS7 in the new Alpha platform. I just think it's an "old" engine so they won't use it anymore. Would love to see it, though!

Heck - put the LS7 in the new C7 GrandSport and call it a day. That'd be an amazing machine.
Agreed that they are similar external dimension wise but I'm thinking the wiring to support the newer generation ecu that GenV uses and the high fuel pressure system for the DI, etc may not be as easy to reconfigure for an older engine. They definitely could do it, but considering it's a new platform designed to work with the latest generation of engines it seems like potentially a lot of work to go "backwards" with no other models to spread the cost, from GM's point of view. I guess we'll see what the camo "Z/28" seen running around turns out to be.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:53 AM

In addition to the possible issues with electronic compatibility, the LS7 may not meet the newest emissions rules (pure speculation).
Old 03-23-2016, 11:59 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

I still think GM should do a 5.5L V8 NA that makes 550hp and revs out to 8k or so. You know they have the technical knowledge to do it, just as Ford did with the GT350 mill. Put that in the Z/28 and cut some weight and make it a track monster. For the C7 ZR1 (still nothing concrete on this car), lower compression on the 5.5L, put in absolute bulletproof forged internals, add twin turbos, and make 750hp that spins to 7,500rpm or so. Hell yeah. I'd get one.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:40 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by rockville
In addition to the possible issues with electronic compatibility, the LS7 may not meet the newest emissions rules (pure speculation).
When they introduced the C7 Z06, some GM rep said that the LS7 had a hard time meeting new emissions standards.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CMK
Originally Posted by fusionchickenleg' timestamp='1458683890' post='23916483
True, especially given the GT350's absolute lack of torque below IIRC 3500rpm, probably feels like a dog off the line in normal day to day driving
Pretty sure you're being sarcastic, I should have been more clear and said compared to similarly powered cars in similar price bracket, i.e. its competitors. Trade-off is an absolutely screaming V8 and that is for the end consumer to decide.

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
For the C7 ZR1 (still nothing concrete on this car), lower compression on the 5.5L, put in absolute bulletproof forged internals, add twin turbos, and make 750hp that spins to 7,500rpm or so. Hell yeah. I'd get one.

This gave me a stiffy
Old 03-24-2016, 04:27 AM
CMK

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by fusionchickenleg
Originally Posted by CMK' timestamp='1458745843' post='23917107
[quote name='fusionchickenleg' timestamp='1458683890' post='23916483']
Pretty sure you're being sarcastic, I should have been more clear and said compared to similarly powered cars in similar price bracket, i.e. its competitors. Trade-off is an absolutely screaming V8 and that is for the end consumer to decide.[/quote]
To be fair, Ford isn't even providing factory 0-60 numbers for the 350 and 350R, most likely because they'll make the Camaro seem faster for the same reason you've stated.

Quick Reply: 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1