Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2017 Ford Fusion Ecosport AWD V6Twin Turbo- PHX to Yuma to SanDiego

Old 03-10-2019, 07:42 AM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts
Default 2017 Ford Fusion Ecosport AWD V6Twin Turbo- PHX to Yuma to SanDiego

What a mouthful.
Visiting my inlaws in Yuma, AZ and decided on our first TURO rental- a Fusion v6TT. It only comes with a 6 speed automatic that does not respond to the paddle shifts- after driving this, it reminds me of why I only own manual shift vehicles. This car would be balls of fun with 3 pedals.
Other thoughts- very comfortable seats. In 50 miles of driving from PHX to Yuma, the buttons that festoon the dash became intuitive and I was finally comfortable with all the controls. Averaged about 22 MPG over 180 miles.

So for reference, I drive a 20 yr old civic SiR, '06 s2000, '07 mazda5- all manual shift, all old. I have to say the most shocking part of the experience is how effortlessly and comfortably it cruises and accumulates speed ohmy! OHMY! I could almost see myself owning one of these- I'd go with the Honda 2.0T given the manual option but I will admit, Ford has done this vehicle very well...and then they canceled it. And I'm not sure who snuck the exhaust past the accountants- this car has a great soundtrack at certain RPMs.

We're off the SanDiego tomorrow to hit the Midway air craft carrier and San Diego zoo. Not sure what or where else to go as we've never been.

I'll post some pix when I figure it out.
darcy

Last edited by darcyw; 03-10-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:19 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Just an FYI, but that car is (was) available from the factory with a manual 6 speed transmission. Sadly it's a rare model with a small manual transmission take rate; thus very rare.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:04 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
What a mouthful.

We're off the SanDiego tomorrow to hit the Midway air craft carrier and San Diego zoo. Not sure what or where else to go as we've never been.

darcy
Blue Water Seafood Market and Grill – San Diego's Original Blue Water Seafood

When I look at Golf R's, I have driven both and I prefer manuals as well, but a really quick DSG like in the Golf makes it a tougher decision. Bad autos are, bad.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:21 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

FYI I think it's just called the Ford Fusion Sport, not EcoSport. The Ford EcoSport is a complete POS subcompact crossover SUV thing. The one C&D tested had a 123hp 3-cyl, FWD, and still managed to cost $27.7k IIRC.
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Just an FYI, but that car is (was) available from the factory with a manual 6 speed transmission. Sadly it's a rare model with a small manual transmission take rate; thus very rare.
Wow, never knew that. Kind of a sleeper. Although I just saw the weight is 4,085lbs?! Although having a smaller engine and FWD, a 2.0T Accord Sport is closer to 3,400lbs I think.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:55 PM

Yes my bad. fusion Sport is what the badge says on the trunk- NOT eco sport- those look like a pile.
Found a fun road to drive called 94 which we took to otay lake road. And the drive thru the mountain range was spectacular coming across from Yuma.
The car is a heavy beast but a comfortable cruiser reaching arrest me speeds in no time.
bluewater fish looks good too!
darcy
Old 03-12-2019, 01:29 AM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

I owned a Fusion a few years back as a daily driver family car, it was a pretty good car for what we needed. It had a v6 na engine, got good fuel economy, enough power for the purpose, and it had a nice sounding exhaust (I removed the resonator to make it sound even better). That was one Ford vehicle that never gave us an issue.

I hate to see companies axe decent vehicles, as Scotty Kilmer says the best cars on the road are ones that have been in development for many years and have been improved each year along the way. GM and Ford come up with various platforms and they tend to axe them after a few years rather than improve upon them and keep them going .
Old 03-12-2019, 04:55 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

I grew up in Yuma and don't miss it much at all. haha. DFW has a little more to do than Yuma.

I had a regular Fusion Ecoboost (4 cylinder turbo) a year or two back as a rental and it was a pretty comfy car. Though, from reading your first initial post, since you drive and own older cars (albeit very nice), I think you'll find most new cars can easily travel 90+mph in total comfort. Another rental I had a while back was the small Hyundai (Elantra?) and it took a while to get up to speed, but it would easily cruise through the mountains outside of Vegas at 90+mph and it was surprisingly quiet and smooth. In short, I think you'll have a hard time finding a new car that won't easily bust the speed limit quietly and comfortably.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:32 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I hate to see companies axe decent vehicles, as Scotty Kilmer says the best cars on the road are ones that have been in development for many years and have been improved each year along the way. GM and Ford come up with various platforms and they tend to axe them after a few years rather than improve upon them and keep them going .
It just seems odd to completely cancel cars like the Focus and Fusion which easily hit 6-figure sales numbers every year. I get refocusing more resources towards crossovers, but this is Ford we're talking about here... they milked the Crown Vic, the live-axle Mustang, you name it for years and years. They really can't make a decent profit on these things?

Consumers' tastes changes. Some trends are for the long term, but others (like expensive gas) can happen almost in an instant and leave companies flat-footed. Seems unwise to put all their eggs in one basket, especially if they already have competitive sedan platforms.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:37 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by white98ls
It just seems odd to completely cancel cars like the Focus and Fusion which easily hit 6-figure sales numbers every year. I get refocusing more resources towards crossovers, but this is Ford we're talking about here... they milked the Crown Vic, the live-axle Mustang, you name it for years and years. They really can't make a decent profit on these things?

Consumers' tastes changes. Some trends are for the long term, but others (like expensive gas) can happen almost in an instant and leave companies flat-footed. Seems unwise to put all their eggs in one basket, especially if they already have competitive sedan platforms.
I totally agree, as soon as gas prices inch up a bit consumers stop buying big trucks and SUV's and will be looking back at fuel efficient cars IMO, then the domestics will get caught flat footed as you noted. That's what spurred them all into building fuel efficient cars a few years back as the imports were taking all of the business as fuel prices increased. Then once they go back down they start building big vehicles again. Has anyone seen the new Expedition up close ? that thing is a dinosaur before it even starts, such a behemoth.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
I grew up in Yuma and don't miss it much at all. haha. DFW has a little more to do than Yuma.

I had a regular Fusion Ecoboost (4 cylinder turbo) a year or two back as a rental and it was a pretty comfy car. Though, from reading your first initial post, since you drive and own older cars (albeit very nice), I think you'll find most new cars can easily travel 90+mph in total comfort. Another rental I had a while back was the small Hyundai (Elantra?) and it took a while to get up to speed, but it would easily cruise through the mountains outside of Vegas at 90+mph and it was surprisingly quiet and smooth. In short, I think you'll have a hard time finding a new car that won't easily bust the speed limit quietly and comfortably.
yeah, I kinda figured as much- back home this car would find me arrested pdq. Foot down it’s got effortless performance but again, the slow trans is a deal breaker.
Cancelling an excellent - perhaps one of fords few good cars- is plain dumb. You think a x over would perform better? Unlikely.
today we checked out the San Diego zoo and ate dinner just off mission beach. All the locals are freezing with this 65 degree weather.

Last edited by darcyw; 03-12-2019 at 09:24 PM.

Quick Reply: 2017 Ford Fusion Ecosport AWD V6Twin Turbo- PHX to Yuma to SanDiego