Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2017 gti

Old 02-25-2017, 05:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2017 gti

Hey all,

Test drove a 2017 GTI 6 speed 4 door last weekend and was very impressed, but concerned about reliability. Pricing is excellent atm and asking price was about 22K with all taxes and fees, although a little bit of a financial stretch at this time. Does VW typically offer discounts like this prior to the release of a newer model? I don't want to miss out on such a discount as this is only offered on 4 doors with a 6 speed, which is what I want. Waiting 12 months makes more financial sense. I did consider a lease but financing seems to make more sense.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The MK7 was released in the US about 1or 2 years after released in Europe. You couldn't get it here until mid-2014 as a 2015 model. The next update will be a mild update considered MK7.5. Supposedly will have more power across the board (all Golf MK7 models). But who knows when that will be available in the US. Maybe at the end of the year? Configure that New Golf You Can’t Quite Buy Yet - VWVortex/

It will still be based on the same fantastic MQB chassis and I think the power increase will be moderate. So I don't think you could go wrong with the 2017 if the price is right.

RE: reliability, I've been leasing a 2015 that I got in Oct. 2014 and it's been very reliable, from motor/turbo and no electrical gremlins at 28,3xx miles. The infotainment system (on the 2017s) has a bigger screen than the 2015. I had 2 MDI cables go bad on me (they connect the phone directly to the system and charge the phone as well), so now I just use bluetooth connectivity because lease is up in September.

I don't think the discounts are related to the MMY refresh. I've been reading on the boards that people have been getting great deals on GTI and Golfs. Looks like sales are up over 2016 when they took a plunge due to diesel-gate. Or it could be related to sales figures in your particular area. If you get it, make sure it has summer performance tires on it, especially if you're not getting the PP. Even at stock levels, the torque is enough to make all weather crappy tires (which is what came with mine) spin easily. The price is the same, but some cars come with all weather tires and some with summer perf. tires. Some people reported they asked the dealer to switch the wheels/tires with other GTIs on the lot.
The following users liked this post:
1nate7 (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 10:37 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Very informative. I wouldn't worry about the reliability if you are buying new. I have been following the "post your deal" thread on the mk7 forums, seems the DC area especially has aggressive pricing.

My next daily driver will likely be a new GTI. I'm not in any hurry though, going to wait and see what the 2018 models look like. Anyone know when they will release specific US market details?

I saw a new 2017 sport model today, sharp looking car. That is the one I would get right now because the lighting/performance pack is worth the extra cost to me. Plus, I really dislike the Austin wheels and prefer the Nogaro.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:48 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Buy a used CPO car?
Old 02-27-2017, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Mk7 is a really solid platform. The build quality is outstanding for the price. I have a 2016 Golf R and have been very happy with it.

The one thing that I would say is that if you plan to mod the car in the future (these cars make tons of power very cheaply) don't buy the 6mt. The clutches that VW uses are fine at stock power but will start to slip in short order when you modify them.

Also, if you can get the Performance version it's well worth the uptick in cost.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:12 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Does the DCT have a higher torque capacity for mods? How much more?
Old 02-27-2017, 01:27 PM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Changing out a manual clutch is not that expensive. Does the transmission hold the modified power so long as you retain the original turbocharger?

Another user on here mentioned that the DCT equipped Golf R just plain drives better. I worry about the longevity of those transmissions if modified and driven hard.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:00 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
Changing out a manual clutch is not that expensive. Does the transmission hold the modified power so long as you retain the original turbocharger?

Another user on here mentioned that the DCT equipped Golf R just plain drives better. I worry about the longevity of those transmissions if modified and driven hard.
im not 100%, but i think the DCT actually holds more power than the manual.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:11 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks... was just about to buy a '17 GTI 6mt, but now back to the drawing board.... I want to at least go Stg1 - 1.5, If i can't do that on stock clutch there is really no point in buying the car.
DSG / automatic is not an option for me at this time.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Assuming it's the same as the MK6 (used to own one) stock clutch is really weak and will not handle much above stock power for very long. DSG will handle much more power than stock without any issue

Quick Reply: 2017 gti