Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2018 STI and WRX Finally Updated

Old 01-09-2017, 09:10 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by kimjongTRILL
The 2018 Subaru WRX And WRX STI Are Less Tragic Inside Than They Used To Be

Finally updated the interior of the STI! Recaros look good, not a fan of the piano black finger print magnet interior bits.
What do you mean "finally"? The interior has "finally" been updated after 2 years? The adjective hardly seems suitable. Now, if they had updated the engine then yeah, totally appropriate.

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I was very close to buying a 2016 WRX this year, but it just seemed very long in the tooth, and it didn't come with any of the safety options Subaru has on their other vehicles. It drove very well but that was about it. I respect them and all but it just didn't hit all of the right buttons for me.
Long in the tooth? It's barely 2 years old.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:21 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
I will be picking up a WRX soon. I like the '17 wheels better than these new ones on the '18 and I don't see any significant changes with the WRX.
I'd wait for the '18. The wind/road noise in my WRX was horrible. Heard every single pebble on the road
Old 01-09-2017, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
What do you mean "finally"? The interior has "finally" been updated after 2 years? The adjective hardly seems suitable. Now, if they had updated the engine then yeah, totally appropriate.

lol calm down there tommy turbo!
Old 01-09-2017, 12:06 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Why would I buy one of these over a Focus RS???
Old 01-09-2017, 12:12 PM

Received 379 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
I'd wait for the '18. The wind/road noise in my WRX was horrible. Heard every single pebble on the road
It will go up in price, I do not like the cosmetic changes, especially the bumper, and I like the '17 Premium/LTD wheels much better. I'm getting one for under invoice and need it quicker than the '18 delivery will take place this summer. If the road noise bothers me that much.... well that is some dynamat and foam away from being permanently fixed. Done that to previous vehicles, takes a Saturday afternoon and a few cold beers. Their audio is terrible (NAV as well) , even the HK option, so I'll likely be ripping it apart anyway for audio. Thankful that the HU isn't tied to some electronic nanny. It's not difficult to change in this vehicle.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:30 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Well I was waiting on this announcement as I need a new DD this year. Same old EJ in the STi. This MMC takes us through MY19, and that will be 17 years of the exact same motor in it. That's crazy in automotive years.

2020 will be an all new STi and WRX, with an all new motor in the STi. At that point there better be a 5dr option or there will be hell to pay.
I can't do big F off wings so I will be picking up a WRX soon. I like the '17 wheels better than these new ones on the '18 and I don't see any significant changes with the WRX.

The DCCD changes on the STi may not be a good thing. The current and old version has planetary gears, so this may be a downgrade on the '18, jury is out until some folks in the know get their hands on it.
I'd buy a used one, the used values are terrible and 15-17 are more or less the same car. If you're going to spend 35+ a Focus RS is the obvious choice though.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
I'd buy a used one, the used values are terrible and 15-17 are more or less the same car. If you're going to spend 35+ a Focus RS is the obvious choice though.
They usually hold their value pretty well here. I have a bit before it's here. I may just lease it. If I do I'm stuck with craptastic audio however.
I don't like anything out, and this isn't a first choice deal. But I'm tired of driving an appliance for DD.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:23 PM

They usually hold their value pretty well here. I have a bit before it's here. I may just lease it. If I do I'm stuck with craptastic audio however.
I don't like anything out, and this isn't a first choice deal. But I'm tired of driving an appliance for DD.
I sold my 41.5 sticker car for 36,250 with 2,300 miles on it and it was 100% mint and stock. I guess if you buy one from Heurburger or whoever in Colorado for under invoice you might be ok but I did not experience the incredible resale value that everyone talks about with Subaru.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
I sold my 41.5 sticker car for 36,250 with 2,300 miles on it and it was 100% mint and stock. I guess if you buy one from Heurburger or whoever in Colorado for under invoice you might be ok but I did not experience the incredible resale value that everyone talks about with Subaru.
Maybe you paid too much on the front end? Did you buy a limited? The trick with the STi is get the base, and get it at invoice. But that is common with many brands. Higher trims, once used, don't fetch as much as the difference in trims when new. I'm going middle of the road. I made out pretty good when I sold my STi hatch. Subaru isn't rated #1 in resale out of thin air.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:43 PM

Maybe you paid too much on the front end? Did you buy a limited? The trick with the STi is get the base, and get it at invoice. But that is common with many brands. Higher trims, once used, don't fetch as much as the difference in trims when new. I'm going middle of the road. I made out pretty good when I sold my STi hatch. Subaru isn't rated #1 in resale out of thin air.
I bought a limited, the base is a POS. Can't live with an actual metal key, no navigation screen, blind spot monitors/backup camera and I didn't like the base enkei wheels or the cheap fake suede leather. Luckily I bought the car below dealer cost on a price mistake so I didn't lose money but if I had paid anywhere near sticker I would have lost my ass on that car (5K in 2,300 miles and 10 months).

Quick Reply: 2018 STI and WRX Finally Updated