Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2018 STI and WRX Finally Updated

Old 01-09-2017, 05:35 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
I sold my 41.5 sticker car for 36,250 with 2,300 miles on it and it was 100% mint and stock. I guess if you buy one from Heurburger or whoever in Colorado for under invoice you might be ok but I did not experience the incredible resale value that everyone talks about with Subaru.
You over paid. STIs have some of the highest resale value of any car currently sold.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:38 PM

Received 379 Likes on 282 Posts

I bought a limited, the base is a POS. Can't live with an actual metal key, no navigation screen, blind spot monitors/backup camera and I didn't like the base enkei wheels or the cheap fake suede leather. Luckily I bought the car below dealer cost on a price mistake so I didn't lose money but if I had paid anywhere near sticker I would have lost my ass on that car (5K in 2,300 miles and 10 months).
Metal key means no hacking. Google fobs and see what is going on. $100 piece of equipment can intercept these fob signals. If it has push button start, bye! Ripping them off becoming more and more common. The key is starting to look great to me again.

Subis, I put in my own nav and stereo. Even their HK option is garbage. No sense in giving them more money for stuff I'll rip out anyway.
Blind spot monitoring, backup cameras, lane keep assist, adaptive cruise, you DO NOT buy a STi, with 3 diffs, for these things. Obviously it was the wrong car for you. It doesn't mean I am making the same mistake so please don't take out your frustrations on your deal, on me. I'd never buy the limited. I got quoted on a STi base when I ordered my car. 34k shipped to my front door. I just don't want another EJ nor have to bother trading trunks with some kid to get rid of the ironing board. I prefer this one to have 5 doors and wouldn't even bother with a sedan, but I need a new DD and slim pickens for under 30k. I tried to buy a RS last year and they wanted 5k adm. VW won't budge a penny off msrp on the R, so I'm doing what I'm doing and saving myself 10k. I'm not gonna work real hard to spend tens of thousands of dollars. I'm only gonna have this thing in the agarage for 24-36 months. I'm not bothered about it, certainly less than you are about stuff in your past. I owned a STi prior, nicely modded. Know what I'm getting myself into with the FA, driven multiples of them. 2020 will have a new engine and I'll either be turning in this lease or trading it in for an all new STi with hopefully an all new motor in 2019 or 2020. These cars and AWD are just my game. Still have my deposit on the 3 also, just waiting on pricing for P/D to see if I'm gonna pull it.

Last edited by TommyDeVito; 01-09-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:57 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
Metal key means no hacking. Google fobs and see what is going on. $100 piece of equipment can intercept these fob signals. If it has push button start, bye! Ripping them off becoming more and more common. The key is starting to look great to me again.

Subis, I put in my own nav and stereo. Even their HK option is garbage. No sense in giving them more money for stuff I'll rip out anyway.
Blind spot monitoring, backup cameras, lane keep assist, adaptive cruise, you DO NOT buy a STi, with 3 diffs, for these things. Obviously it was the wrong car for you. It doesn't mean I am making the same mistake so please don't take out your frustrations on your deal, on me. I'd never buy the limited. I got quoted on a STi base when I ordered my car. 34k shipped to my front door. I just don't want another EJ nor have to bother trading trunks with some kid to get rid of the ironing board. I prefer this one to have 5 doors and wouldn't even bother with a sedan, but I need a new DD and slim pickens for under 30k. I tried to buy a RS last year and they wanted 5k adm. VW won't budge a penny off msrp on the R, so I'm doing what I'm doing and saving myself 10k. I'm not gonna work real hard to spend tens of thousands of dollars. I'm only gonna have this thing in the agarage for 24-36 months. I'm not bothered about it, certainly less than you are about stuff in your past. I owned a STi prior, nicely modded. Know what I'm getting myself into with the FA, driven multiples of them. 2020 will have a new engine and I'll either be turning in this lease or trading it in for an all new STi with hopefully an all new motor in 2019 or 2020. These cars and AWD are just my game. Still have my deposit on the 3 also, just waiting on pricing for P/D to see if I'm gonna pull it.
It's not that easy to steal a car with an electronic key, they are encrypted, almost every new modern car has an electronic key. Only 90's cars still have metal keys. I agree the HK stereo is garbage but I don't care enough to rip it all out. The WRX/STI has been getting bigger, heavier and softer throughout the years and the performance with the fancy 3 center diffs and 15 year old motor sucks compared to the latest gen of hot hatch/sedans (Focus RS/CTR/Golf R/S3) so you certainly don't buy them for the performance.

I bought it to be a decently fun daily driver with some grown up convenience options at a lower price point. The car was crap overall. Not a good performance car stock (mod it and bye bye warranty), or daily driver. I'm not upset about the deal, I made 500 bucks sitting on it and barely driving it for a year. Paid 35.8 sold it for 36.3. For 34K I'd much rather buy a base Focus RS and you can get them easily without markup these days or a lightly used Golf R.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:00 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
You over paid. STIs have some of the highest resale value of any car currently sold.
Oh really? Is that why dealers are selling them thousands below MSRP and below invoice new since they are selling so well? I got 5.200 off sticker on a fluke which was under raw dealer cost and I still barely broke even when dumping it less than a year later with 2,300 miles on it in absolutely perfect condition.

You can read whatever you want on the internet but doesn't mean it's true.

Last edited by CosmosMpower; 01-10-2017 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:21 AM

Received 379 Likes on 282 Posts

It's not that easy to steal a car with an electronic key, they are encrypted, almost every new modern car has an electronic key. Only 90's cars still have metal keys. I agree the HK stereo is garbage but I don't care enough to rip it all out. The WRX/STI has been getting bigger, heavier and softer throughout the years and the performance with the fancy 3 center diffs and 15 year old motor sucks compared to the latest gen of hot hatch/sedans (Focus RS/CTR/Golf R/S3) so you certainly don't buy them for the performance.

I bought it to be a decently fun daily driver with some grown up convenience options at a lower price point. The car was crap overall. Not a good performance car stock (mod it and bye bye warranty), or daily driver. I'm not upset about the deal, I made 500 bucks sitting on it and barely driving it for a year. Paid 35.8 sold it for 36.3. For 34K I'd much rather buy a base Focus RS and you can get them easily without markup these days or a lightly used Golf R.
I checked this morning within a 200 mile radius (300 miles) , cheapest RS is 39k. I checked nationwide, one at 35 and some change, but most at sticker, as far as "decent" deals go. I negotiated on one last year (they wanted ADM), sat in it, etc. The seats are terrible for my height. There is no spare tire (no room for it, AWD RDU takes up that room in the back), and the cabin feels claustrophobic. I agree with you, at 35k it's worth it, but I loathe the seating position, and no spare.

R, as you said, full sticker for the most part. And I don't think either is worth the 7-12k cost difference from what I'll be getting. The Golf R is very nice inside. Great stereo, great all arounder, especially if you favor German cars, I do not. Out of German, domestic, or Japanese, I'll take Japanese every time. I recently owned a VW, a turbo diesel wagon, and I just don't feel at home in a VW. They do put great stereos in them, for stock premium audio options.

So there is nothing out there I'm real interested in, nothing that checks all the boxes. Well the GT350 does, and I may get one at some point, but if I do I'm going to buy used and save myself some money. That motor has a forged crank so unless someone slaps FI on it, not concerned. It won't be a daily anyway.

I'm still kicking around getting a used GR, my old car. I just have a severe issue with going down the same street twice, and like you said, the EJ is pathetically archaic. This go around is just about mitigation for me. I want something fun to drive for my DD, my expectations aren't STi high, and I know it'll be 24-36 month ownership/lease. Once I see Model 3 pricing, I can make the decision to go through with my purchase (early deposit) or wait until 2020 when I see the new motor STi. The WRX for me, gives me DD AWD again, it has a stick, and makes good power. It's a great DD for my needs. I just wish it was in 5dr form.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:03 AM

Oh really? Is that why dealers are selling them thousands below MSRP and below invoice new since they are selling so well? I got 5.200 off sticker on a fluke which was under raw dealer cost and I still barely broke even when dumping it less than a year later with 2,300 miles on it in absolutely perfect condition.

You can read whatever you want on the internet but doesn't mean it's true.
Friend bought the same car and didn't pay 41.5 for the car. I want to say 36.7 or 37 for the car new. Has it in that nice dark blue.

he also traded in his prior STI and on trade in only took a small hit. His cars are mint though.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:08 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

^Cosmo didn't pay MSRP. I think the confusion originated when he says his STI stickered at $41,5000. But he didn't pay that.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a new 2017 Sti- which was stickered for 39K at 34.5K

I can get anybody new base Sti's for 33k. PM me :-). Add 1k to shipping to your house.
The following users liked this post:
WolfpackS2k (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
^Cosmo didn't pay MSRP. I think the confusion originated when he says his STI stickered at $41,5000. But he didn't pay that.
oh but didn't say what he paid. My confusion. Speed reading.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Canadian144
Eh still not a fan of the 15+s. I've had my 09 hatchback for almost 8 years now and I have zero motivation to trade it in for the new platform. As much as people like to knock the reliability of STIs, mine has never let me down or needed anything other than regularly scheduled maintenance. I've been stage two for 3 years, and recently protuned the car where it made 315whp with ID1000s and a header. Gets 30mpg on the highway too.

The new calipers sure do look nice though..
My winter car is an 07 Legacy GT Spec B, had an 07 WRX before too. I test drove the 15 WRX when it came out and really liked it. But the lack of a hatch model, and no discounts (car hadn't been built yet) made me decide to buy my s2k instead. This spring I plan on selling the Spec B and will likely replace it with a 2011+ WRX hatch for the added utility. Also might get an older Ridgeline depending what's out there when I'm shopping.

Maybe in 2020 when/if they bring the hatch back or Levorg, I'll reconsider.

Quick Reply: 2018 STI and WRX Finally Updated