Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2018 Toyota/BMW Supra

Old 04-13-2015, 09:22 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

To be fair the train why Toyotas are so relate is because they make safe uninspiring engines. When they do venture out lately, the 2zz comes to mind, not so reliable. Anyone can make a reliable sub 150hp engine, abd these days everyone pretty much does. Where toyota stands out is their relative reliability with all the peripheral electronics. But right now they do not make a production engine that i fantasize about dropping into anything. The lfa motor is a street legal race engine.
What made the mkiv supra legendary was itsc robust motor but more importantly it's ease to work on. Look at its competition at its time, The vg30dett not quite as robust but a pain to work on, The 6g63 in the 3000gt was as robust but a pain to work on, the 13b was rotary reliable, the rb26dett is equally legendary but illegal here. It was a super car killer that joe timecard could afford to own. This new one won't be.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^2zz was sourced from Yamaha...
Old 04-14-2015, 05:05 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by budgy
I see tons of new BMW's on the road, don't hear many owners complaining about reliability with them. I honestly believe that in part a reason that Toyota's are more reliable is that their owners are people that typically do not drive their cars aggressively and always do the scheduled maintenance.

Realistically the only good engine Toyota makes from a performance stand point is the V8 in the RCF, that would also be bad ass but maybe they have reasons for not using it? Too wide?
You bean around cars much? Germans build great 50k cars and then expensive stuff starts failing.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by civdaddy
Originally Posted by budgy' timestamp='1428934286' post='23575787
I am surprised so many people here do not like the styling. I think if it goes into production it would be the best looking car on the road. If it has an M3 engine I see no reason to be disappointed considering that same motor propels a fairly heavy M3 down the straights as fast or faster than the new Vette.
Many people have come to enjoy "toyota reliability". A BMW engine in a toyota car doesn't have "toyota reliability". I don't understand the sense in people buying a frs/brz for "Toyota reliability". It will be the same with the new supra.
That union isn't nearly as questionable as a marriage with BMW. Subaru is leagues ahead of BMW when it comes to reliability.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:43 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Redline S2K
Originally Posted by civdaddy' timestamp='1428979721' post='23576820
[quote name='budgy' timestamp='1428934286' post='23575787']
I am surprised so many people here do not like the styling. I think if it goes into production it would be the best looking car on the road. If it has an M3 engine I see no reason to be disappointed considering that same motor propels a fairly heavy M3 down the straights as fast or faster than the new Vette.
Many people have come to enjoy "toyota reliability". A BMW engine in a toyota car doesn't have "toyota reliability". I don't understand the sense in people buying a frs/brz for "Toyota reliability". It will be the same with the new supra.
That union isn't nearly as questionable as a marriage with BMW. Subaru is leagues ahead of BMW when it comes to reliability.
[/quote]

Uh, maybe for their mainstream models. Reliability of their performance engines? Nope.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When left alone they last just fine. But agreed, I've seen simply increasing boost blow ring lands. But we aren't talking pushing the limits here. If you're talking "Toyota" reliability, you're talking stock for stock, unmolested.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:00 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Redline S2K
When left alone they last just fine. But agreed, I've seen simply increasing boost blow ring lands. But we aren't talking pushing the limits here. If you're talking "Toyota" reliability, you're talking stock for stock, unmolested.
'07-'08 WRX STI owners beg to differ. And so would '12-'13 BRZ owners
Old 04-14-2015, 09:16 AM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
Originally Posted by budgy' timestamp='1428984555' post='23576871
I see tons of new BMW's on the road, don't hear many owners complaining about reliability with them. I honestly believe that in part a reason that Toyota's are more reliable is that their owners are people that typically do not drive their cars aggressively and always do the scheduled maintenance.

Realistically the only good engine Toyota makes from a performance stand point is the V8 in the RCF, that would also be bad ass but maybe they have reasons for not using it? Too wide?
You bean around cars much? Germans build great 50k cars and then expensive stuff starts failing.
Yes everyone knows this (the exception seems to be Porsche) but these expensive repairs are not always related to the engine. Everything about this car is incredibly speculative, and most people crying about reliability are not the kind of people that keep a car past warranty anyway.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:34 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by budgy
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1429016713' post='23577154
[quote name='budgy' timestamp='1428984555' post='23576871']

Yes everyone knows this (the exception seems to be Porsche) but these expensive repairs are not always related to the engine. Everything about this car is incredibly speculative, and most people crying about reliability are not the kind of people that keep a car past warranty anyway.
[/quote]

Your reasoning on Toyota isn't correct. They just build better motors. So does Honda. Honda reliability isn't because people don't drive them hard.

A car should last outside warranty. Minor wear items aside outside super cars, modern cars should go 200k without issue. You don't see many 200k bmws on the road.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:41 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Originally Posted by Redline S2K' timestamp='1429023472' post='23577317
'07-'08 WRX STI owners beg to differ. And so would '12-'13 BRZ owners
Well, to be fair, the 86 is reliable if driven normally, it's really under track conditions where failures occur. The 07-08 sti had the bad tune, but not bad considering we now have over a decade's worth of stateside STIs that if not abused have proven to be somewhat reliable. On the other hand, the maitenance alone on a 335i cost more than most repairs on subarus, and failures aren't exactly rare on normally driven 335is for instance. Fwiw I'm not a big proponent of subaru durability.
I also think that the reason why BMWs have the stigma isn't so much that they necessarily fail more (although I think they do) but that the maitenance costs more and when something small does fail, it usually leads to a huge bill.

Quick Reply: 2018 Toyota/BMW Supra