2019 California Aftermarket Exhaust - Page 3 - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > General Interest > Car Talk
Reload this Page >

2019 California Aftermarket Exhaust

Notices
Car Talk Discussions and comparisions of cars of all makes and models.

2019 California Aftermarket Exhaust

Old 01-10-2019, 09:24 AM

Motorcycles have a higher noise allowance. Blame the legislators.

Best solution is to have a compliant exhaust. If your employer subjected you to 95dBA noise they'd be required to furnish hearing protection and do an annual medical hearing test for everyone employed there.

Quick (plagerized) note:
OSHA sets legal limits on noise exposure in the workplace. ... Here's an example: OSHA allows 8 hours of exposure to 90 dBA but only 2 hours of exposure to 100 dBA sound levels. NIOSH would recommend limiting the 8 hour exposure to less than 85 dBA. At 100 dBA, NIOSH recommends less than 15 minutes of exposure per day.
Look at the little video link I posted a day or two ago. The Invidia Q300 they use for the example is much louder than any of of these. They eventually got it compliant. In the cockpit will be less just to distance, but I can tell ya earplugs are a literal requirement driving a car with that exhaust as it comes out of the box. .

-- Chuck
Old 01-10-2019, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
The Invidia Q300 they use for the example is much louder than any of of these. They eventually got it compliant. In the cockpit will be less just to distance, but I can tell ya earplugs are a literal requirement driving a car with that exhaust as it comes out of the box. .

-- Chuck
When those first came out, everyone was raving "its the QUIET 70! Sounds awesome but close to stock!" I bought one and put it up for sale on this board an hour after installing it. Bloody awful thing gave me a splitting headache on the first test drive.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:48 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by rrounds View Post
This law came about mostly because of extremely loud bikes(straight exhaust) but its written up as "a motor vehicle" so it covers all.
When some push the limits or just flat blow through them then the law will get involved.

ROD
Except I'm pretty sure it doesn't cover motorcycles or vehicles over 6,000 lbs.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:29 PM

The Invidia Q300 lasted 3 weeks on my car but only because it took 2 weeks to get the Tanabe Medalion Touring to Ohio from the vendor in California. A buddy helped me install the Q300 on my car and liked the sound. Except he didn't after about the same time. He sold his as well. Every time I mention how horrible the Q300 is I get snide comments from one guy. Maybe he likes his or is deaf? My routine advice is to hear any potential exhaust for a good length of time inside an identical car before deciding. In addition I adamantly recommend NOT buying the Q300.

-- Chuck
Old 01-10-2019, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by vader1 View Post
Cops got plenty of stuff to worry about. Sounds like this is just a hammer to use against the ear splitters. I am not a big regulation guy, but does not sound like the end of the world, or the craziest thing ever floated as law in Cali.
I think this is the case. The noise limit in California has always been 95db, this law only increased the penalty.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
The Invidia Q300 lasted 3 weeks on my car but only because it took 2 weeks to get the Tanabe Medalion Touring to Ohio from the vendor in California. A buddy helped me install the Q300 on my car and liked the sound. Except he didn't after about the same time. He sold his as well. Every time I mention how horrible the Q300 is I get snide comments from one guy. Maybe he likes his or is deaf? My routine advice is to hear any potential exhaust for a good length of time inside an identical car before deciding. In addition I adamantly recommend NOT buying the Q300.

-- Chuck
Your ability to complain about the Q300 in every thread is incredible.
The Following User Says Thank You to TsukubaCody For This Useful Post:
Canadian144 (01-11-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 01:27 PM

California: Change your gender, not your exhaust.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by JamesD89 View Post
This is a dumb law, but objects don't get freedom of speech and noise limits do not restrict freedom of speech. Don't be so dramatic
Hey now
The Following User Says Thank You to fusionchickenleg For This Useful Post:
JamesD89 (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by dea7hr0w View Post
After more enlightening information looks like we can have the aftermarket PART on our car as long as its below the 95db. Meter has to be 18.5 inch away from the exhaust unit pointing at a 40 or 45 degree (can't recall the number). They will test at warm idel and at either 2k or 3k rpm.

If best case: would it be beneficial to get pulled over on a highway since there are ALOT of road noise?

Worse case: in a quiet neighborhood.
Can you kindly link a source?
Old 01-10-2019, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by fusionchickenleg View Post
Can you kindly link a source?
Just look up the law, the original law didn't really change. It's just that instead of a fix it ticket, you'll get fined right away.

As far as the test goes, you've been able to test your exhaust for a while now, but you usually had to have a citation to be able to go to ref station to have your exhaust tested and certified to be below the 95DB mark.It was SEMA who helped get the law in place that allowed the test to better help enthusiast fight tickets. There should be plenty of articles to look it up on this subject.

There have been some talk about how the test was done, and from what I remember what dea7hrow mentioned was similar to how they tested.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands