Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2019 Miata ND engine update - 181hp, 7500rpm redline.. your thoughts as an S2k owner?

Old 10-22-2018, 09:36 PM

Received 559 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Its absolutely fair, platform to platform, which one has the more capable chassis to build on? That's all i care about, not sanctioned class racing, but rather unlimited class racing and time attack. Its the only way to understand the capabilities of the platform of any car. Auto x i could care little about, it always favors lighter and speeds are slower so there is less forces at play at 40-70mph vs 140-170mph and engineering required to make that manageable.
Nope. Absolutely zero sense...

I'm not dumping $100K+ into a bespoke one-off-all-custom-parts S2000 (or miata) build and neither is anyone else posting in this thread - yourself included. People buy real super cars at that point, like a GT3, Z06, ACR, McClaren, etc with far more capable chassis... Oh by the way, you can still drive them on the street. At this point it's stupid dick swinging over something that out of all of our reach with the exception of Robert Thorne. Even CKit abandoned his S2k after $80K+ in modifications and just picked up a far more reliable and capable out of the box 997 GT3. The point of this thread has gone beyond anything rational at this point. There's paper racing and then there's grabbing someone else's dick and swinging it like it's your own...

I'm done here. This is not a discussion based on logic or reason. I feel stupid for trying to treat it like it was...

Last edited by Bullwings; 10-22-2018 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:00 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings
Nope. Absolutely zero sense...

I'm not dumping $150K+ into a bespoke one-off-all-custom-parts S2000 (or miata) build and neither is anyone else posting in this thread - yourself included. People buy real super cars at that point, like a GT3, Z06, ACR, McClaren, etc.. At this point it's stupid dick swinging over something that out of all of our reach with the exception of Robert Thorne. Even CKit abandoned his S2k after $80K+ in modifications and just picked up a far more reliable and capable out of the box 997 GT3. The point of this thread has gone beyond anything rational at this point. There's paper racing and then there's grabbing someone else's dick and swinging it like it's your own...

I'm done here. This is not a discussion based on logic or reason. I feel stupid for trying to treat it like it was...
There is something extremly satisfying about competing with cars at that caliber, being the "underdog". Relate?
Ok, well thanks for your participation?

I'm going to go back to helping people fix and build their s2k's and you guys can continue to jerk each other off on your new practical miatas.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 10-22-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:46 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
There is something extremly satisfying about competing with cars at that caliber, being the "underdog". Relate?
Ok, well thanks for your participation?

I'm going to go back to helping people fix and build their s2k's and you guys can continue to jerk each other off on your new practical miatas.
So... you like underdogs but belittle the miata...

You say it's slow, then confronted with facts that is essentially on par with the s2k, you then point to a one off build, then confronted with other like builds, then resort to well its just your preference. Shocker.

Something all enthusiasts need to do is busy learn to appreciate all cars because guess what, there's always a "better" car out there, especially if you're crusading a near 20 year old 4 cylinder roadster.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheDonEffect:
LUV2REV (10-28-2018), Piero914 (10-25-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 04:29 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I really like the looks of the new Miata. Glad to hear they are working on the power plant. It give me hope that there is life after my S2000 gives up the ghost! I know it will some day, I just hope it lasts as long as I do!

My take on this Miata-S2000 discussion is that they are really close in performance now, in stock form. On the other hand, if you can put a moderate amount of money into improving both cars, you will get more bang for your buck putting it into the S2000. The engine seems to have more designed-in capacity for additional horsepower with small additions. The suspension seems to be more tune-able (judging from very little hands on with the Miata). Being somewhat rare, the S2000 can also attract more attention. The Mazda has better interior amenities, hands down.

I will add this... Nothing beats seeing some mustang guy all a mess because he thinks some Miata beat him, when It was just me and my S. "I didn't know them Miatas was that fast!". I didn't correct him. I just smiled.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:19 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

savagegeese did a great review of the new 2019 Miata up here in canadaland with the straight pipes. He owns an s2000. Watch his video- I think its quite telling.

I'd seriously consider the 2019 new engine Miata if I cared about a warranty- which I don't. So, for my money, I'd just buy another low mileage s2000 and save the coin for tires and maintenance.
darcy
Old 10-24-2018, 06:17 PM

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
savagegeese did a great review of the new 2019 Miata up here in canadaland with the straight pipes. He owns an s2000. Watch his video- I think its quite telling.

I'd seriously consider the 2019 new engine Miata if I cared about a warranty- which I don't. So, for my money, I'd just buy another low mileage s2000 and save the coin for tires and maintenance.
darcy
How much coin are you saving by buying a low mileage S2000? Not much when you can get the new Miata that comes with new tires. And probably cheaper to insure. My guess is the ND2 will somewhat diminish the +20k S2000 except for the die hard fans. For the longest time the S2000 still had a fair bit more power than the Miata even after production ended. The ND2 has pretty much closed that gap so we’ll see if that impacts the S2000 prices.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:24 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings

As far as the s2000 is concerned. I'm a fanboy but have no illusions of engineering progress. Realistically, as someone mentioned, the ND2 really is the first viable new car offering that fills the spot that the s2000 vacated when it was discontinued.
This. I liked my Honda, I had fun with it. If you are lucky, life gives you the income and health to have fun it cars for 50-60 years. I spent a dozen in an S2000. There are other ones out there to experience and enjoy. The ND looks like a good one.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:05 PM

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

So, if people leave thes2k platform prices may soften but for how long? Any one look at E30 M3 or maybe a air cooled 911?
Tech advances all the time and yeah that's great for some but there are so many enthusiasts that love the basic high revving concept of the s2k.

I know it's silly but I see miatas everwhere along with mustangs and other reasonably fast modern cars. I hardly ever see s2k on the road. For the price, performance and package the S did it for me and I looked long and hard at many other platforms. Almost bought a cayman s.

Again in the Miata is great but it doesn't sing to my soul. And for me the fact that anyone can pull up to a dealer and get one new kinda makes it seem lamer.
To each their own and kudos to Mazda for finally giving it a little balls.

ps I drove a Mazda speed Miata with a "big enchilada" recently, that little dude was fast and handled on rails. But the S was way more solid and dialed in even the RF felt more toy like and civic-esque in quality vs the 10yr old s2k I own....
Old 10-24-2018, 07:25 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Well the air cooled Porsches somewhat recently started spiking in price, largely due to companies like Singer buying them up to restore and resell, so what was once junk 911s are now valuable. Same thing happened with 67-68 fastback mustangs that are now being bought up for Eleanor repros.

Another thing to consider when it comes to resale values is the cost to maintain/restore a car. So take the E30 M3, to keep that car in car show form and tip top mechanically requires some serious money over the years, it's not uncommon that a $40K E30 M3 will have a stack of receipts within the last 10 years equally to half of that cost. The S2000 at some point will reach its half life where even well looked after examples will need to repainted, restored, rebuilt, etc. Fortunately, modern cars are generally built better and Hondas are well known for their build quality (but somewhat subpar paint) so that half life should take a bit longer. But we are starting to see it, finding a clean, clean titled, truly bone stock car with all the original vin stickers, with good paint and clear headlights, good rubber seals, tight suspension, smooth transmission, etc are harder and harder to come by. How many AP1s now have a hard time getting into first when its cold, or has excessive valve train noise, etc.

It is cool to keep a car running, restoring it, etc etc, but talk to most shop owners who restore cars for a living, ask them which car in their stable they enjoy the most, most of them will point to the most modern thing they got.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:56 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I would absolutely consider one of the new Miatas. Unlike a lot of guys on this forum, I'm not a track rat and I don't routinely take my car up to redline. I bought it because I liked the handling and the top-down experience. But I see a lot to like in the Miata. I realize it's heavy but I like the retractable hardtop on the RF. How many people on this forum are always talking about how they wish they could buy an affordable hardtop for their S2000? And the Miata hasn't become the bestseller that it is by being a lousy car. Sure, the S2000 may have the edge in the powertrain, chassis, etc., but it was Honda who abandoned this market segment. And have you stopped by a Honda dealer lately and looked at the new cars they're selling? Honda/Acura engineering is great but their marketing (e.g. the appearance of the Civic R...the Acura RLX, TLX and ILX (whatever happened to the Integra/RSX?)...etc, etc.) is, with the exception of the NSX, absolutely hideous (unless you want an SUV). If you're looking to purchase a new roadster, what else is there?

Last edited by jeffreygebhart; 10-28-2018 at 01:15 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by jeffreygebhart:
99MCoupe (11-08-2018), bruthaboost (11-08-2018), vader1 (11-08-2018)

Quick Reply: 2019 Miata ND engine update - 181hp, 7500rpm redline.. your thoughts as an S2k owner?