Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2019 Miata press event

Old 07-23-2018, 08:15 AM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
220 whp sounds really fun in an ND. That's a 50% increase over stock.
Yeah I mean I agree, but for people like s2000junky who's brains only work in numbers and BIGGER is BETTER, 220whp after thousands of dollars of mods is underwhelming. Ask that dude what he thinks of making power N/A. Actually, don't, for all of our sake.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:16 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by JonBoy
220 whp, normally aspirated? Ain't no one adding 50% more power unless they're doing a complete motor build with a totally new crank, lighter pistons and con rods, improved valvetrain, upgraded fuel system and a bunch more other stuff. You're talking about a race motor, essentially.
220whp with a blower, or a turbo. Read.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:26 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by GuthNW
Anyone know if that screen that sits in the center of the dash can retract and be tucked away?
Sadly it can't. Still ugly irl but less intrusive than it seems in pics .

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
Yeah I mean I agree, but for people like s2000junky who's brains only work in numbers and BIGGER is BETTER, 220whp after thousands of dollars of mods is underwhelming. Ask that dude what he thinks of making power N/A. Actually, don't, for all of our sake.
Totally agree. I see those 180 whp cars with tune and IHE, for me that's perfect .

NA power is for the weak DUDE.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:32 AM
Community Organizer

Sadly it can't. Still ugly irl but less intrusive than it seems in pics .

Totally agree. I see those 180 whp cars with tune and IHE, for me that's perfect .

NA power is for the weak DUDE.
Agreed man. My friend has a 16 that he's modified with full bolt-ons and a tune that makes around 170whp. To me, it felt more than quick enough, especially considering it's a Miata. It lacks the drama of an S2000, but I mean come on.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:49 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
Agreed man. My friend has a 16 that he's modified with full bolt-ons and a tune that makes around 170whp. To me, it felt more than quick enough, especially considering it's a Miata. It lacks the drama of an S2000, but I mean come on.
The ND's have had some gains, and yes they are small but lets think in terms of scale, with headers that delete the cat, or if I were going to do it, get a higher flow cat. I think about 10 hp was about right. Then tunes could get another 10hp on top of that. If the same can be done on a 2019, and I don't see why it would not be possible, you have a pretty zippy machine. Poor man's Elise. That is the real appeal to me. You can have a car that will pull 60's probably in the low 5's, get about 40 cruising on the highway, be only 2400 pounds, and have some decent, modern creature comforts, soft top or hard top, and still not break the bank and be pretty darn reliable.

I don't know what is not to love about that. I liked my S2000, it was an extremely well built, high quality machine. But they don't make em anymore.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:56 AM

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Within reason yes. A well sorted 2600lb500whp wide body S2k with a good tire width/compound is pretty hard to beat in the right hands. The disadvantage of the S is no sophisticated driving aids, so its going to require someone that can drive. I appreciate that of course being a driving enthusiast. Your not going to be able to spec out a ND to that level. Great cone dodger though.

And yes it does. 14 years of ownership and experience giving back to the s2k community, not the miata community.
I'll bite, just because this is entertaining and bringing me tons of joy. You're so contradictory and grasping at straws. Let's say you had the most well sorted S2k money could buy/build, you most likely would get your a$$ handed to you by an SS 1LE. All by a car that'd be cheaper and under warranty. It will continue to run laps while the S2k would be broke down most of the time.

Time marches on, as does technology. Many hardcore racers have left the S2k platform, and will continue to do so.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:18 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by ssbfgc
I'll bite, just because this is entertaining and bringing me tons of joy. You're so contradictory and grasping at straws. Let's say you had the most well sorted S2k money could buy/build, you most likely would get your a$$ handed to you by an SS 1LE. All by a car that'd be cheaper and under warranty. It will continue to run laps while the S2k would be broke down most of the time.

Time marches on, as does technology. Many hardcore racers have left the S2k platform, and will continue to do so.
I agree technology moves on, but at the end of the day its still just physics. Driving aids and quick shifting high tech transmissions and running gear all give some advantage to the bottom line on lap numbers because some cars have reached a level where great driving cant quite level the playing field. But last I checked, the ND doesn't have such features, its still a game of power to weight and grip ability and what the chassis can hold/accommodate for higher level modification increase. And to the original simple point, the S2k picks up where the Miata leaves off there. I'm not a hardcore racer, just a tuning/driving enthusiast that appreciates owning one of the last pinnacle of performance "drivers" cars that I can flog around the track and still embarrass cars with a much higher price tag and lap time expectation. I can see the S keeping me entertained for the rest of my life. I'm on my second one now after 14 years of ownership and just recently threw 5k at it on a custom wide body and a few more suspension upgrades for it that allow me to really get further into the chassis tuning. That's exciting to me. I don't see anything and certainly with current car trends in technology that would be as much a joy to own/drive. Sorry i'm not that excited about the prospects of a new Miata.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 07-23-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:31 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

I agree technology moves on, but at the end of the day its still just physics. Driving aids and quick shifting high tech transmissions and running gear all give some advantage to the bottom line on lap numbers because some cars have reached a level where great driving cant quite level the playing field. But last I checked, the ND doesn't have such features, its still a game of power to weight and grip ability and what the chassis can hold/accommodate for higher level modification increase. And to the original simple point, the S2k picks up where the Miata leaves off there. I'm not a hardcore racer, just a tuning/driving enthusiast that appreciates owning one of the last pinnacle of performance "drivers" cars that I can flog around the track and still embarrass cars with a much higher price tag and lap time expectation. I can see the S keeping me entertained for the rest of my life. I'm on my second one now after 14 years of ownership and just recently threw 5k at it on a custom wide body and a few more suspension upgrades for it. That's exciting to me. I don't see anything and certainly with current car trends in technology that would be as much a joy to own/drive. Sorry i'm not that excited about the prospects of a new Miata.
If you don't care about it, why even comment? You say there are no 'drivers cars' left but then immediately disregard any modern driver's car. You're astoundingly ignorant.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:36 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

If you don't care about it, why even comment? You say there are no 'drivers cars' left but then immediately disregard any modern driver's car. You're astoundingly ignorant.
Because i'm baffled, but Ignorant? I'm smart enough to know not to trade in my old s2k for a new Miata smart guy. My Dads riding lawnmower is a true drivers machine too, but that's besides the point
Old 07-23-2018, 09:37 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

I agree technology moves on, but at the end of the day its still just physics. Driving aids and quick shifting high tech transmissions and running gear all give some advantage to the bottom line on lap numbers because some cars have reached a level where great driving cant quite level the playing field. But last I checked, the ND doesn't have such features, its still a game of power to weight and grip ability and what the chassis can hold/accommodate for higher level modification increase. And to the original simple point, the S2k picks up where the Miata leaves off there. I'm not a hardcore racer, just a tuning/driving enthusiast that appreciates owning one of the last pinnacle of performance "drivers" cars that I can flog around the track and still embarrass cars with a much higher price tag and lap time expectation. I can see the S keeping me entertained for the rest of my life. I'm on my second one now after 14 years of ownership and just recently threw 5k at it on a custom wide body and a few more suspension upgrades for it that allow me to really get further into the chassis tuning. That's exciting to me. I don't see anything and certainly with current car trends in technology that would be as much a joy to own/drive. Sorry i'm not that excited about the prospects of a new Miata.
I get where you are at. I loved my SW20 MR2 and would have kept it forever had it not been getting way up in miles and I still was able to extract good value from it with a sale. The one I was able to afford when I bought it was already a high miler and been beat on so I did not have the chance to start from a clean slate.

I am not getting rid of my Cayman, I love that car, and probably always will.

It is fine to find "the one" that is the perfect car for you in every way, but I still appreciate new cars too and what they have to offer. When I got a motorcycle,(which has since been sold) I wanted about 5 different bikes because they are all very different in character. I am that way with cars too.

Quick Reply: 2019 Miata press event