Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2019 Miata press event

Old 07-25-2018, 12:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have owned two NA (1st gen Miatas) - I still own a '95 M Edition.
I am a new S2K owner.
I must say that the NA Miata is better than the S in only two ways. Light weight and steering feel.
The hydraulic rack of the Miata has a better feel than the S2K, and with a wider, square setup has the perfect heavy, telepathic steering feel with less understeer than the stock AP2 setup.
I still think the S is more of a premium and special car which prioritizes sportiness over playfulness in comparison with the Miata.
I didn't cross-shop the ND with an AP2, because for the money, the AP2 is the better value.

That being said, I think the newest generation (ND) Miata appears to give the S a run for its money (I have yet to test drive one). I think that if/when the price for used RF (Hardtop) ND2 Miatas come down to the high teens to match the S2K of similar mileage/condition, it will be a difficult decision for someone cross shopping the two.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:48 AM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
Yes.

Join miata.net, they are ALL Chuck S.

That's why there are a ton of Miata forums. Miata.net was cranky old dudes who bloviate on every topic, Clubroadster was pretty normal folks with a nice variety of things, Mazdaroadster was a spinoff of Clubroadster and MiataTurbo was performance/DIY dork focused.

Source: I had an NA Miata prior to my AP1.

Yup. Nailed it.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:50 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ne...paign=GRMDaily

Apologies if a link to this "review" has been posted before.
The following users liked this post:
JonBoy (08-02-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 04:45 PM

[left]I enjoyed test driving the ND
Old 08-13-2018, 11:06 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Press embargo is over.

Road and Track: https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/first-drives/a22713193/2019-mazda-mx-5-miata-first-drive/

Car
and Driver: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ine-more-power
Old 08-13-2018, 11:18 AM

I still wouldn't trade an S for one, but I do like it a lot. Would love to pick up an ND in a few years used with those Recaro seats.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:43 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

I don't get how they eliminate one shift from the 0-60mph sprint, make 26 more hp...and only trim 0.1s off the time? Same thing with the quarter mile - same gearing, more power, and yet a mere 0.1s and 1 mph difference overall. Again, does not compute with a roughly 17% bump in power with similar torque along the way.

Thoughts?

I still want one, though. Light cars are just so much fun to drive. Under 2400 lbs with this kind of power is an awesome achievement in this day and age.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:53 PM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Unless it was the same driver, on the same day, on the same tires, magazine tests are useless.

Even then, they're pretty useless.

These guys aren't John Force.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:05 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy

Thoughts?

The original 5.8 0-60 test they did seemed to be kind of an outlier, and most places did the same sprint in about 6.1 or so which to me seemed about right. Now this one does 5.7 and a quarter in 14.5 (isn't that what the original s2000 quarter mile times were?) which seems about what I would expect for the new level of power.

To be honest, I would have loved about 5.5 and 14.0 but what do numbers really matter when you get behind the wheel and you have a blast or you don't? I am in the market for a car next spring and this is on the list of about 4 cars, none of which are really direct competitors, they are all just supposed to be a hoot to drive. So I will go thrash one and see if it puts a smile on my face.

I posted about a test of a 16 ND I did a year ago and I LOVED the way it cornered (leans, flops and all) the way it would brake, and the shifter. I loved the steering feel and the lightness of the car. The engine just left me a little flat. If this spices it up, maybe I buy this. I have grown fond of some torque too, so I am also looking at new or used M240i's. I just don't know if it was the lack of torque that left me flat in the Miata or was it the low redline and unenthusiastic character of the original setup. I just know that when I get up cloe to ND's, especially the RF, I just drool over how cool they look to me, and how awesome it felt in the tiny little thing when I plunked down in one at the auto show.

Just something about scooting around town and ripping around corners in very sane speeds in a tiny car that is such a blast. I can really approach serious fun in a Miata-type car running everyday errands than I can in my Cayman just because I can wind it out and get near its very safe limits the way you can't in something with tons of power and way more grip. You can have a blast hooning in a Miata, and people around you don't really know you are hooning. Go and hoon around in a Vette or a Porsche and you get arrested. Sure, some people may think you look like a dork ripping around in a Miata. I am gonna be 49, and I keep getting thinner on top and wider in the middle. I look like a dork already. Might as well have fun.

Last edited by vader1; 08-13-2018 at 01:09 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by vader1:
cbehney (08-14-2018), JamesD89 (08-14-2018), JonBoy (08-13-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 08:22 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
The original 5.8 0-60 test they did seemed to be kind of an outlier, and most places did the same sprint in about 6.1 or so which to me seemed about right. Now this one does 5.7 and a quarter in 14.5 (isn't that what the original s2000 quarter mile times were?) which seems about what I would expect for the new level of power.

To be honest, I would have loved about 5.5 and 14.0 but what do numbers really matter when you get behind the wheel and you have a blast or you don't? I am in the market for a car next spring and this is on the list of about 4 cars, none of which are really direct competitors, they are all just supposed to be a hoot to drive. So I will go thrash one and see if it puts a smile on my face.

I posted about a test of a 16 ND I did a year ago and I LOVED the way it cornered (leans, flops and all) the way it would brake, and the shifter. I loved the steering feel and the lightness of the car. The engine just left me a little flat. If this spices it up, maybe I buy this. I have grown fond of some torque too, so I am also looking at new or used M240i's. I just don't know if it was the lack of torque that left me flat in the Miata or was it the low redline and unenthusiastic character of the original setup. I just know that when I get up cloe to ND's, especially the RF, I just drool over how cool they look to me, and how awesome it felt in the tiny little thing when I plunked down in one at the auto show.

Just something about scooting around town and ripping around corners in very sane speeds in a tiny car that is such a blast. I can really approach serious fun in a Miata-type car running everyday errands than I can in my Cayman just because I can wind it out and get near its very safe limits the way you can't in something with tons of power and way more grip. You can have a blast hooning in a Miata, and people around you don't really know you are hooning. Go and hoon around in a Vette or a Porsche and you get arrested. Sure, some people may think you look like a dork ripping around in a Miata. I am gonna be 49, and I keep getting thinner on top and wider in the middle. I look like a dork already. Might as well have fun.
Spot on. I just sold my shelby an am back in s2000 #3. Loved the shelby, but saw a depreciation cliff ahead so figure I'd sell it and see what it does. Being back in a small, low car again feels great, that in itself has a sense of occasion.
The miata rf with this updated engine is intriguing, it only revs 500 less than my ap2 and man do I love the way it looks inside and out, plus it's a new(er) car. And it essentially matches the performance. While it may not put down the 0-60 and quarter numbers that dazzle, I got a suspicion that the functional power is noticeably better, the in gear, off/on throttle, etc, unlike the 86s and their lackluster 200hp engines.
I'd say it's worth a test drive.

Quick Reply: 2019 Miata press event