Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > General Interest > Car Talk
Reload this Page >

2019 Miata press event

Car Talk Discussions and comparisions of cars of all makes and models.

2019 Miata press event

 
Old 06-05-2019, 06:39 AM
  #81  
Thread Starter
 
vader1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: ST Paul
Posts: 10,914
Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts
Default

Finally drove one. The extra power and higher redline made me like it much more than my test drive in the 2016, but it could really use another 10-15 ftlbs across the range. Still a fun little car, and they were quoting me about $3,000 off sticker without even trying. If they put the Skyactive X engine in it with it's extra torque (and they have said they eventually will) it would probably be perfect. A pretty cool toy for $30k.
vader1 is offline  
Old 06-05-2019, 07:30 AM
  #82  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,446
Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts
Default

I test drove an rf as well, and got really close to pulling the trigger a couple of times.

For the price I love the interior although apple and android auto should be standard by now. Exterior styling works for me, love it, probably best looking car within $20k of its price.

The updated engine felt better, the miata motor finally has some character, and I found driving around town to be much easier than driving an S. For me, it reminded alot of the gsr b18.

Tunes and such are just around the corner, apparently exhaust mods does free up a good amount of ponies without a tune.

Anyway, the car made my short list.
TheDonEffect is offline  
Old 06-05-2019, 08:10 AM
  #83  
Thread Starter
 
vader1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: ST Paul
Posts: 10,914
Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect View Post

For the price I love the interior although apple and android auto should be standard by now. .

I thought they were standard now and that had been addressed but I am not the guy to ask because the very inexperienced but eager young saleswoman was trying to push those features when I said "I still don't own a cell phone."

I agree with everything else you said about the car though. Neat little car.
vader1 is offline  
Old 06-05-2019, 10:24 AM
  #84  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 19,298
Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by vader1 View Post
Finally drove one. The extra power and higher redline made me like it much more than my test drive in the 2016, but it could really use another 10-15 ftlbs across the range. Still a fun little car, and they were quoting me about $3,000 off sticker without even trying. If they put the Skyactive X engine in it with it's extra torque (and they have said they eventually will) it would probably be perfect. A pretty cool toy for $30k.
My understanding is that they won't put the Skyactiv X engine in the Miata because its sound and general performance characteristics don't match the car. It's kind of a "diesel-like gasoline engine" and won't rev as high as the current 2.0L (or the old one). Similar power and a bit more torque but not at all a "fun" engine, in all probability.
JonBoy is offline  
Old 06-05-2019, 08:29 PM
  #85  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,446
Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JonBoy View Post
My understanding is that they won't put the Skyactiv X engine in the Miata because its sound and general performance characteristics don't match the car. It's kind of a "diesel-like gasoline engine" and won't rev as high as the current 2.0L (or the old one). Similar power and a bit more torque but not at all a "fun" engine, in all probability.
Makes sense, the new nd2 engine for a miata motor is good. A tune should push redline to 8k with a good power bumper. Frankly, intake, exhaust mods, and tune should all you'd need.
TheDonEffect is offline  
Old 06-06-2019, 06:26 AM
  #86  
Thread Starter
 
vader1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: ST Paul
Posts: 10,914
Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JonBoy View Post
My understanding is that they won't put the Skyactiv X engine in the Miata because its sound and general performance characteristics don't match the car. It's kind of a "diesel-like gasoline engine" and won't rev as high as the current 2.0L (or the old one). Similar power and a bit more torque but not at all a "fun" engine, in all probability.

I no nothing about the SkyactiveX characteristics except what I read. I am not sure where it is to dig it up and link it, but one of the Car Mags had an article about it and some random Mazda product boss said something to the effect that the engine would makes its way into the entire Mazda product line including the Miata. There were no specifics or timetable.

And while it operates similar to a diesel, none of what I have read seemed to claim it performed like one. I believe the 2.0 liter in the Miata is used as the base for the SkyactiveX they are developing, then add to it a low boost SC, the pre-ignition spark plugs, high compression and software. I am not so sure this could not be tuned to be a fun engine as well, but first it has to be certified in the US and I am not sure there is any rush to put it in until sales of the new-for-2019 engine setup sales begin to wane.

My wife is holding off on a new Mazda 3 to see if the Skyactive X will be available in the fall as was teased, but if not, she probably just buys one without it before the snow hits.


And here is today's random SkyactiveX article link:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...ne-europe-mpg/

Last edited by vader1; 06-06-2019 at 06:41 AM.
vader1 is offline  
Old 06-06-2019, 06:48 AM
  #87  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 755
Likes: 0
Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
Default

I haven't driven the ND2 yet, but I have wanted a ND for a while after I drove the ND1. It will most likely be my next daily driver.
roel03 is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 06:32 AM
  #88  
 
engifineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,442
Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by roel03 View Post
I haven't driven the ND2 yet, but I have wanted a ND for a while after I drove the ND1. It will most likely be my next daily driver.

I also have not driven and ND2. I had not driven and ND1 until Saturday. My shocks are being rebuilt so I co-drove an ND at a local autox event. This was the 949/Supermiata ND they built last year, which was sold to a local MN guy. While I think the S2k is still one of the most overall fun cars I have driven on an autox course, the ND is so frickin capable for autox! This is known, as it has pretty much taken over STR completely. Planning to co-drive the ND at nats this year as well. You can certainly feel the 500# + weight difference in the ND. I had never even sat in one, and was already running faster than before relative to others in my class with only 5 runs in the car. Actually, put down my fastest run (6th fastest raw time of day of any car, 11th out of 130 in pax) on my third run in the car.

A lot of things about it felt familiar from driving the S, like the very fast turn in response, only with less weight, so that is part of why I quickly became more comfortable in it.

Now, cant speak for it as a daily. I have never driven a stock one with a regular drivers seat in it
engifineer is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 10:17 AM
  #89  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 755
Likes: 0
Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by engifineer View Post
I also have not driven and ND2. I had not driven and ND1 until Saturday. My shocks are being rebuilt so I co-drove an ND at a local autox event. This was the 949/Supermiata ND they built last year, which was sold to a local MN guy. While I think the S2k is still one of the most overall fun cars I have driven on an autox course, the ND is so frickin capable for autox! This is known, as it has pretty much taken over STR completely. Planning to co-drive the ND at nats this year as well. You can certainly feel the 500# + weight difference in the ND. I had never even sat in one, and was already running faster than before relative to others in my class with only 5 runs in the car. Actually, put down my fastest run (6th fastest raw time of day of any car, 11th out of 130 in pax) on my third run in the car.

A lot of things about it felt familiar from driving the S, like the very fast turn in response, only with less weight, so that is part of why I quickly became more comfortable in it.

Now, cant speak for it as a daily. I have never driven a stock one with a regular drivers seat in it
I'm a big convertible fan, which is why I really want to daily one. My S2000 was my daily for like 6 years before I got stupid and turned it into an annoying track car.

I test drove one for like 30 minutes and I felt it was a better daily than my AP1. Power band was more city friendly and the weight is easily felt everyday. I have tracked a Spec NC, but not a ND. I don't think it will have the thrills of the S2000 on track, but for a daily/occasional track I am sold.
roel03 is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
DDonovan
Vancouver Island
33
08-05-2010 09:41 AM
Pinky
New England S2000 Owners
0
05-06-2010 07:34 AM
SHADE2000
MidWest S2000 Club
11
06-04-2005 03:14 PM
monkeymaker
California - Bay Area S2000 Owners
3
03-24-2003 10:49 AM
Saab9-3
Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners
1
06-28-2002 01:09 PM


Quick Reply: 2019 Miata press event


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands