Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2019 Miata press event

Old 06-05-2019, 06:39 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Finally drove one. The extra power and higher redline made me like it much more than my test drive in the 2016, but it could really use another 10-15 ftlbs across the range. Still a fun little car, and they were quoting me about $3,000 off sticker without even trying. If they put the Skyactive X engine in it with it's extra torque (and they have said they eventually will) it would probably be perfect. A pretty cool toy for $30k.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:30 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

I test drove an rf as well, and got really close to pulling the trigger a couple of times.

For the price I love the interior although apple and android auto should be standard by now. Exterior styling works for me, love it, probably best looking car within $20k of its price.

The updated engine felt better, the miata motor finally has some character, and I found driving around town to be much easier than driving an S. For me, it reminded alot of the gsr b18.

Tunes and such are just around the corner, apparently exhaust mods does free up a good amount of ponies without a tune.

Anyway, the car made my short list.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect

For the price I love the interior although apple and android auto should be standard by now. .

I thought they were standard now and that had been addressed but I am not the guy to ask because the very inexperienced but eager young saleswoman was trying to push those features when I said "I still don't own a cell phone."

I agree with everything else you said about the car though. Neat little car.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:24 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Finally drove one. The extra power and higher redline made me like it much more than my test drive in the 2016, but it could really use another 10-15 ftlbs across the range. Still a fun little car, and they were quoting me about $3,000 off sticker without even trying. If they put the Skyactive X engine in it with it's extra torque (and they have said they eventually will) it would probably be perfect. A pretty cool toy for $30k.
My understanding is that they won't put the Skyactiv X engine in the Miata because its sound and general performance characteristics don't match the car. It's kind of a "diesel-like gasoline engine" and won't rev as high as the current 2.0L (or the old one). Similar power and a bit more torque but not at all a "fun" engine, in all probability.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:29 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
My understanding is that they won't put the Skyactiv X engine in the Miata because its sound and general performance characteristics don't match the car. It's kind of a "diesel-like gasoline engine" and won't rev as high as the current 2.0L (or the old one). Similar power and a bit more torque but not at all a "fun" engine, in all probability.
Makes sense, the new nd2 engine for a miata motor is good. A tune should push redline to 8k with a good power bumper. Frankly, intake, exhaust mods, and tune should all you'd need.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by JonBoy

I no nothing about the SkyactiveX characteristics except what I read. I am not sure where it is to dig it up and link it, but one of the Car Mags had an article about it and some random Mazda product boss said something to the effect that the engine would makes its way into the entire Mazda product line including the Miata. There were no specifics or timetable.

And while it operates similar to a diesel, none of what I have read seemed to claim it performed like one. I believe the 2.0 liter in the Miata is used as the base for the SkyactiveX they are developing, then add to it a low boost SC, the pre-ignition spark plugs, high compression and software. I am not so sure this could not be tuned to be a fun engine as well, but first it has to be certified in the US and I am not sure there is any rush to put it in until sales of the new-for-2019 engine setup sales begin to wane.

My wife is holding off on a new Mazda 3 to see if the Skyactive X will be available in the fall as was teased, but if not, she probably just buys one without it before the snow hits.

And here is today's random SkyactiveX article link:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...ne-europe-mpg/

Last edited by vader1; 06-06-2019 at 06:41 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:48 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

I haven't driven the ND2 yet, but I have wanted a ND for a while after I drove the ND1. It will most likely be my next daily driver.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:32 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by roel03
I haven't driven the ND2 yet, but I have wanted a ND for a while after I drove the ND1. It will most likely be my next daily driver.

I also have not driven and ND2. I had not driven and ND1 until Saturday. My shocks are being rebuilt so I co-drove an ND at a local autox event. This was the 949/Supermiata ND they built last year, which was sold to a local MN guy. While I think the S2k is still one of the most overall fun cars I have driven on an autox course, the ND is so frickin capable for autox! This is known, as it has pretty much taken over STR completely. Planning to co-drive the ND at nats this year as well. You can certainly feel the 500# + weight difference in the ND. I had never even sat in one, and was already running faster than before relative to others in my class with only 5 runs in the car. Actually, put down my fastest run (6th fastest raw time of day of any car, 11th out of 130 in pax) on my third run in the car.

A lot of things about it felt familiar from driving the S, like the very fast turn in response, only with less weight, so that is part of why I quickly became more comfortable in it.

Now, cant speak for it as a daily. I have never driven a stock one with a regular drivers seat in it
Old 06-11-2019, 10:17 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
I also have not driven and ND2. I had not driven and ND1 until Saturday. My shocks are being rebuilt so I co-drove an ND at a local autox event. This was the 949/Supermiata ND they built last year, which was sold to a local MN guy. While I think the S2k is still one of the most overall fun cars I have driven on an autox course, the ND is so frickin capable for autox! This is known, as it has pretty much taken over STR completely. Planning to co-drive the ND at nats this year as well. You can certainly feel the 500# + weight difference in the ND. I had never even sat in one, and was already running faster than before relative to others in my class with only 5 runs in the car. Actually, put down my fastest run (6th fastest raw time of day of any car, 11th out of 130 in pax) on my third run in the car.

A lot of things about it felt familiar from driving the S, like the very fast turn in response, only with less weight, so that is part of why I quickly became more comfortable in it.

Now, cant speak for it as a daily. I have never driven a stock one with a regular drivers seat in it
I'm a big convertible fan, which is why I really want to daily one. My S2000 was my daily for like 6 years before I got stupid and turned it into an annoying track car.

I test drove one for like 30 minutes and I felt it was a better daily than my AP1. Power band was more city friendly and the weight is easily felt everyday. I have tracked a Spec NC, but not a ND. I don't think it will have the thrills of the S2000 on track, but for a daily/occasional track I am sold.