Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2019 Toyota Corolla

Old 04-05-2018, 11:36 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by lane_viper
The Camry and Corolla are the two most appliance cars out there.
I don't care how sporty they try to make them, my soul would die from driving one.

I'll stick to my real sports cars.
There is a lot to be said about just wanting to get "A to B" with as little hassle as possible. Camry and Corolla excel at this.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:17 PM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
What would you have in this segment then?
I think he is saying stay away from this segment. I agree with him. Even it were just for commuting in traffic, I would get a Lexus GS or equivalent. I hate driving lifeless cars. Perhaps this new corolla will be a step up, but more likely- you will get what you paid for.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:36 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
I think he is saying stay away from this segment. I agree with him. Even it were just for commuting in traffic, I would get a Lexus GS or equivalent. I hate driving lifeless cars. Perhaps this new corolla will be a step up, but more likely- you will get what you paid for.
Yeah but a Lexus gs also costs how many times more than a Corolla? I'd rather spend three times more to get x over y is pointless insight cuz then we would all just drive Bugattis. And I get used they could be closer in price... until you also compare contemporary used cars.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:14 PM
Community Organizer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

What would you have in this segment then?
I don't understand why "car guys" would want or need a car in this segment.

What do you need?

I've never heard a "Car Guy" say they just need something that goes from A-B
Old 04-09-2018, 12:19 PM
Community Organizer

Yeah but a Lexus gs also costs how many times more than a Corolla? I'd rather spend three times more to get x over y is pointless insight cuz then we would all just drive Bugattis. And I get used they could be closer in price... until you also compare contemporary used cars.
I have never and will never buy brand new.

Good way to blow a ton of money.

I'm getting really sick of "sporty" versions of sucky cars.

Nismo needed to make a Juke?

Every car these days have a "sport" mode. What does it really do? Make a car that sucks to drive not suck?

Appliance cars are for people that don't care about what they drive. Even poor people can afford something besides an appliance ride.
The following users liked this post:
WolfpackS2k (04-10-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 12:38 PM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
A Lexus GS is going to be less fun to drive in stock form than a 6MT Corolla with 170 hp & properly independent suspension, or a new Civic/Fit/Yaris iA, etc.

You literally picked one of the most lifeless cars (note: cars, not CUV) on sale today.

Appliance cars are for people that don't care about what they drive. Even poor people can afford something besides an appliance ride.
I own this. I bought it stock.

I also own a 2012 Honda Fit. It is stock with the exception of a double DIN stereo. It has dents, dings, gets driven through our salt laden winters, gets taken into neighborhoods that many suburban Americans believe to be battlefields, etc., without failure, without stress, while returning great fuel efficiency for very few dollars and in absolute anonymity.

Appliance cars are truly great tools. That you cannot understand that is not an indictment of others, but of yourself.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:36 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

I have never and will never buy brand new.

Good way to blow a ton of money.

I'm getting really sick of "sporty" versions of sucky cars.

Nismo needed to make a Juke?

Every car these days have a "sport" mode. What does it really do? Make a car that sucks to drive not suck?

Another good way to blow a ton of money is to buy a sportscar that once went for more than the average salary of your area for less than the price of a Corolla and then constantly spend money fixing it and maintaining it. And then using said car to do home depot and Costco runs and be stuck in soul crushing commuter traffic, and then parallel park it in the city at night only for your fears to be founded that someone nicked your bumper or stole your seats. Yeah I love poorly maintained urban highways in my stiffly sprung suspension, and the road noise is what automobile enthusiasm is all about.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:09 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
Appliance cars are truly great tools. That you cannot understand that is not an indictment of others, but of yourself.
I guess you could consider a Fit an appliance car. I don't own one but from what I can tell, they can be more fun to drive than others.

Life is too short to drive boring cars. Ask yourself, why not?
Old 04-10-2018, 11:22 AM
Community Organizer

Another good way to blow a ton of money is to buy a sportscar that once went for more than the average salary of your area for less than the price of a Corolla and then constantly spend money fixing it and maintaining it. And then using said car to do home depot and Costco runs and be stuck in soul crushing commuter traffic, and then parallel park it in the city at night only for your fears to be founded that someone nicked your bumper or stole your seats. Yeah I love poorly maintained urban highways in my stiffly sprung suspension, and the road noise is what automobile enthusiasm is all about.
If your smart with your choice and buy the right car, you won't be blowing money on maintaining it. Being smart means doing research and knowing the risks and shortcomings of a particular sports car. I've taken my Corvette to Costco tons of times, and it's definitely not perfect, even been backed into before in a parking lot. I didn't pay a fortune for it, so I don't stress over if it is perfect or not. It goes in the sun, rain, and even if it snows (though not very well), I'd rather drive it or my S2k over any Camry or Corolla any day.

If it gets stolen, it's insured, I'll get a different one. Someone would have to be pretty ballsy to steal it out of my garage though.

People make different choices in life and have different opinions. I don't see the point in owning appliance cars. My opinion. Apparently you do see a point, which is okay. We'll just have to agree to disagree here.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:39 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

I guess you could consider a Fit an appliance car. I don't own one but from what I can tell, they can be more fun to drive than others.

Life is too short to drive boring cars. Ask yourself, why not?
A Fit is no more exciting than anything else on the road. It is almost like you're....talking out your rear.

Life is too short to spend giving even the slightest bit of concern to my car every time I go anywhere. In the Fit, I can 100% enjoy anywhere I am, without concern for its sake.

If I take the S2000, I'm ALWAYS paranoid when I park it.

I'd rather enjoy life than drive a 'fun' car on the interstate to get somewhere, when the destination is more important than the journey.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Corolla