Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2019 Veloster N and Toyota Corolla Hatch?

Old 11-25-2018, 10:25 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Performance wise it should be competitive, slightly less power but lots of torque, I haven't compared weights but the Veloster may have the advantage there. But for me the looks of the Veloster just doesn't inspire me, something like putting lipstick on a pig, lol. While the Civic Type R isn't the prettiest car in the world it looks better than the Veloster, I like the size , shape and body design of the Civic much better, particularly with the 4 door arrangement and easy access to the rear.

The Veloster has some great features , huge brakes all around, great multi-setting suspension , and active exhaust system, very cool, lots of value for the money. A while back I saw a video of a Kia Stinger beating a 500 hp Mustang at the drag strip, AWD and all the torque available under 2000 rpms killed the Mustang on the launch, less power but real world speed, I think that would be a great daily driver.

I think many would use the lipstick on a pig analogy with the type r as well. Neither car inspires me to buy one though, just not my cup of tea.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:59 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Performance wise it should be competitive, slightly less power but lots of torque, I haven't compared weights but the Veloster may have the advantage there. But for me the looks of the Veloster just doesn't inspire me, something like putting lipstick on a pig, lol. While the Civic Type R isn't the prettiest car in the world it looks better than the Veloster, I like the size , shape and body design of the Civic much better, particularly with the 4 door arrangement and easy access to the rear.

The Veloster has some great features , huge brakes all around, great multi-setting suspension , and active exhaust system, very cool, lots of value for the money. A while back I saw a video of a Kia Stinger beating a 500 hp Mustang at the drag strip, AWD and all the torque available under 2000 rpms killed the Mustang on the launch, less power but real world speed, I think that would be a great daily driver.
The Type R is the same weight, more powerful (45 hp more than the base model, 30 hp more than the Performance model), torquier (35 ft-lbs more) and more focused. The Veloster N won't be objectively equal, much less better.

Top Gear did a comparo between the i30N and the Type R.

Interesting note, though - they found the i30N to be more communicative, if not objectively faster or better handling. They described it as being the more "fun" of the two. Less capable but more fun - not a bad trade-off, when they're both very capable cars. I'd imagine that, on the street, most wouldn't notice the difference between the two unless they were absolutely wringing them out (or in a straight-line race to a significant speed).

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/big...a-civic-type-r

And R&T did a test of the Veloster N as well, on the 'Ring.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...-drive-review/

I'd say they did a fantastic job on their first real foray into the max-performance hot hatch segment. I wouldn't buy one over the Type R but I wouldn't blame someone for pocketing the cash (probably get a decent discount in a few months) and getting the Hyundai...
Old 11-26-2018, 07:15 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
I wish the si came in the hatchback version for added utility.
+1, this would give the Si a lock on the preferred choice for the next spouse mobile.

Alas, most new cars are dog-vomit ugly and the Veloster leads the pack there and the Civic isn't much of an improvement. As the S2000 might be in the stable for another 4 years, we're holding out hope that future rounds of styling redesigns of several small cars (Civic Si, BRZ, Veloster, etc.) result in cleaner designs when the time comes.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:50 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by tiger1964
+1, this would give the Si a lock on the preferred choice for the next spouse mobile.

Alas, most new cars are dog-vomit ugly and the Veloster leads the pack there and the Civic isn't much of an improvement. As the S2000 might be in the stable for another 4 years, we're holding out hope that future rounds of styling redesigns of several small cars (Civic Si, BRZ, Veloster, etc.) result in cleaner designs when the time comes.
I've retired to the fact that, as much as I want to share your optimism, none of those cars will get a redesign that will make me want to recklessly buy a new car. My next car is gonna be a pony car, most likely the mustang. I say this with an ap2 sitting in my garage after owning two ap1s.

Hmm maybe ill go check out rh veloster N for kicks.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:07 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by tiger1964

Obviously to each his own, but I have a hard time understanding how you think the Hyundai looks worse? The Civic just screams Pep Boys Special. And at least the Hyundai manages to integrate it's high hood line without looking like a CUV.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:59 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

I like the civic. I like the Veloster. I like saving money and buying tires over and over again.

darcy
The following users liked this post:
JonBoy (11-27-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 06:47 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

I like the checkered flag button
Old 11-27-2018, 12:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In the last few weeks I've been on the hunt for a new hatchback. Just sold my 2011 135i manual. In the last few weeks I've driven nearly every hatchback available except a Kia.

Civic EX. Plenty of power. More impressive car than i expected. infotainment a little week. Best console storage of the bunch. I thought the CVT was adequate. Mostly felt good except cheap cloth on the doors and armrests. Adding leather makes the car too expensive. Good ride but still good handling. Plenty of body roll but I think that contributed to the fun.

Golf GTI SE. Fun car. DSG works well. Infotainment is good. LSD is nice. I've wanted one of these for a little while but can't justify the price. 2018 or newer come with fantastic 6yr/72k mile warranty.

Golf SE. Good car. Auto trans works fine. Plenty of power. I could easily drive this everyday. 2018 or newer come with fantastic 6yr/72k mile warranty.

2019 Corolla HB XSE. Better than I expected. Never thought I'd ever be interested in a Toyota, let alone a Corolla but I was impressed. CVT is okay. This new CVT has a real first gear then switches to CVT. This transition was okay but sometimes the CVT portion demonstrated some somewhat odd behavior. I did a long test drive on this car but it was in traffic. The standard adaptive cruise with start/stop is awesome. Great mileage. Interior is impressive. I like this car. Infotainment is okay but lacks Android Auto.

Mazda3. Nice car but a bit dated. Infotainment not impressive. Upgraded Bose stereo didn't impress me. No turbo so power was a bit underwhelming. Pricing was aggressive.

Elantra GT Sport. Hyundai offered $50 to take it for a test drive so why not? 201hp with turbo so plenty of torque. DCT works well but is not perfect like any non manual transmission. Plenty fast. Seems like an LSD is needed for any power more than this. The tech package adds lots of neat stuff. Probably the best infotainment of the bunch. Great warranty.

Crosstrek (2017).

Complaints: Why must sunroofs be bundled with nearly every trim level? I don't like sunroofs and don't want to pay for one. Why must so many cars come with 18" wheels? I'd much prefer to have 16" or 17" for a smoother ride, cheaper tires, and more rim protection.

Notes: I was shocked by how good these lower priced cars have become. I could happily drive any of these cars. Are they as fun as an s2k? of course not but driving them was totally pleasant.

I ended up buying a slightly used 2018 Elantra GT sport DCT with tech package. Tech package adds a dumb panorama moonroof but great stuff like ventilated seats, nav (that so far is actually good), Infinity stereo system that sounds fantastic, adaptive cruise with start/stop that actually works great, lane keep assist, etc. Is this stuff needed? No. But i'm not a luddite and like trying new things. I haven't had the car long but so far I love it and don't miss my 135i.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:42 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Nice, congrats on the purchase! Sounds like a pretty good choice.

I love defending Mazda so I'll say in their defense that a new 3 is coming out soon. I mean it was literally unveiled (officially) last night, haha.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:01 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...t-hatch-battle

SPOILER ALERT - DETAILS BELOW

1. Type R
0-60: 4.9s (-0.3s)
1/4: 13.6s @ 107 mph (-0.3s / +5 mph)
Lateral G: 1.04g (+0.07g)
70-0: 144 ft (-10 ft)
Weight: 3168 lbs (+ 91 lbs)

The Civic Type R redeems its styling—and then some—by driving like no other front-wheel-drive car in existence.
2. Veloster N
0-60: 5.2s
1/4: 13.9s @ 102 mph
Lateral G: 0.97g
70-0: 154 ft
Weight: 3077 lbs

In price and straight-line performance, the 275-hp Veloster N Performance package squeezes into the space between the Honda Civic Si and the Type R.
The Veloster N is a great hot hatch, and it marks an admirable freshman effort from Hyundai's budding performance division. The notion of what a sporty Hyundai can and should be has come a long way from the Tiburon and the Genesis coupe. The work's not done yet, though.

Quick Reply: 2019 Veloster N and Toyota Corolla Hatch?