Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2019 Veloster N and Toyota Corolla Hatch?

Old 11-01-2018, 05:03 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts
Default 2019 Veloster N and Toyota Corolla Hatch?

So, after nearly 20 years with a newly purchased EM1 civic, 20 years with a then 10 year old GTX Mazda 323, 7 years with an s2000...the new Veloster N may be tempting enough. Here in Canada they only come one way- with all the performance stuff and the 275 bhp engine, listing for $35K CAN- fairly good value for money.

I went to Hyundai the other day, and the dealer said I was the first to even ask about it. Does anyone else think this car is cool as F or am I in the minority? I do love the typeR but the N has something I can't put my finger on that I really like.

And on another note- I can't believe Toyota is making a car I'd actually consider- the new Corolla Hatchback...in blue.

There's some interesting stuff out there...

darcy
Old 11-02-2018, 03:39 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I think they're cool and they're well received by the automotive press. I also think the styling is more on point than the Civic.

The Toyota hatchback reminds me of the previous gen, Euro only Civic R. Toyota styling is good, but not sure how it drives.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:28 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

I think the Veloster N is a really cool idea and seems well executed. I just got spoiled by having a couple decent interiors over the years and can't go back. So I am seriously considering a GTI or Golf R as a next purchase just because they offer the hot hatch fun with some interior refinement. I would not knock anyone for picking up the Veloster N as it sounds like a blast, but I wish it was not described as "plastic fantastic" on the inside. I would like to see the car in White.

It will also depreciate faster than others in the segment, but the starting price is lower and Hyundai deals so picking one up at a really great price should be pretty easy.

The Corolla? Not feeling it. I am glad they are improving the car. It is the most solid buy for the money in automotive history and will run forever and hold value. But it just has the image that the driver is as dull as a piece of driftwood. My ego would not allow it.

Between the two, Veloster all the way. But I would prefer the GTI or spend the extra dough on a transformers looking Civic Type R. I am so intrigued by the press on the car I almost scheduled a test drive on one yesterday but skipped it. There are three around here, don't know if they are trying to get a premium.

I was also disappointed the Veloster N, Like the Type R, does not come with heated seats. I don't know if any of you have heard, but Minnesota is cold in the winter.

Last edited by vader1; 11-02-2018 at 06:33 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:40 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Vader I just recently picked up a Type R from Minneapolis so your neck of the woods and was able to find two dealers fighting for a sale. One was at Msrp and the other was at $250 below Msrp. I think if you push them a bit they will budge. Also if you want a test drive come over to the Black Hills and I will let up drive mine through some nice roads btw the Velocity does look pretty nice but are they spacy?
Old 11-02-2018, 06:43 AM
Community Organizer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

In case you haven't watched. Doug did a Vid on this car.

I like it. Neat little car. I've always thought the old ones were kind of interesting, and now seems they've given the N some scoot. I agree with the styling of it vs the Type R.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by ZSAK
Vader I just recently picked up a Type R from Minneapolis so your neck of the woods and was able to find two dealers fighting for a sale. One was at Msrp and the other was at $250 below Msrp. I think if you push them a bit they will budge. Also if you want a test drive come over to the Black Hills and I will let up drive mine through some nice roads btw the Velocity does look pretty nice but are they spacy?
What color was it? I had my eye on testing a White one in Burnsville. The one near me was black and they said they wanted sticker but I am too old to keep black paint looking nice.

Congrats on the car. Is it as fun as they say?
Old 11-02-2018, 07:57 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Mine is White although the color I really wanted was the gray. I got it from Walser in Burnsville in Sept. Same dealer? Honestly the car is fun to drive. This is the first time I ever bought a fwd car and I was very hesitant but honestly the car handles, accelerates, and brakes perfectly for a daily driver. It is not the fastest car out there but the 2nd and 3rd gear pulls feel almost on par with my old ATSV which is fun around town. The steering is very direct and the shifts are pretty good albeit not as perfect as the S2k but not too far behind. Also I am surprised by how much interior room this thing has, it could rival a bunch of suv's I bet. The downside of the car is that it is a civic and as such there are a lot of cheap materials inside. The infotainment is laggy and feels as if it is a few years behind. With that being said when I was looking for a replacement I could not think of a more fun car, that had polarizing looks, be honda reliable and be around $35k.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:09 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Veloster N has been getting great reviews. Seems like a solid do-everything car.

Corolla I'm confident is one of those "Actually, pretty fun for what it is!" types of cars, in that it has a pulse but isn't really, truly fun to drive for anyone who is used to enthusiast cars.
Originally Posted by vader1
Between the two, Veloster all the way. But I would prefer the GTI or spend the extra dough on a transformers looking Civic Type R. I am so intrigued by the press on the car I almost scheduled a test drive on one yesterday but skipped it. There are three around here, don't know if they are trying to get a premium.
Can you get test drives in the Type R now? I'm not truly interested in buying one, but like you, the reviews are so good that I want to see what all the fuss is about. The idea that I could pretty much do a straight trade with an 8-year-old, 15mpg M3 for a brand new CTR piques my rational side's interest.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by white98ls

Can you get test drives in the Type R now?.
It is kind of funny how when I hear of giant markups and things going on in Cali or other parts of the country, either they don't happen here or go on as long. There is not a huge stock of cars here in MN right now, but there are three when I checked the web the other day and the one I called told me they had a black one I could take for a spin if I wanted. They wanted sticker price. At least that is what they said. But I just got back from San Diego over the weekend and California amazes me. Too many people, could not find a parking spot anywhere, and when we did it was $25 for two hours. Here, we got space and car inventory at sticker price. You just have to deal with ten degrees below zero, and horrible sports franchises.

Last edited by vader1; 11-02-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fundamentally Id argue the two cars are different in target markets, even though they are both 5 door hatchbacks. The corolla as ever Toyota through and through would appease the masses while the I30 N/Veloster would appease those wanting a hot hatch in a segement that has seen more fluid player changes. ( remember when the mazdaspeed3 was a thing? faster than a wrx)

I personally am struck by the Corolla in that light blue with the xse package... I have a mid sized suv that has been paid off for years now and it is more useful than it is worth to sell it or trade it in. the Velostar speaks to me in terms that if you could only afford one car, it would be a good catch all. where as the Corolla makes its appeal as the day to day work running, but when i want to really move people or tow things (really both at the same time) we all pile in the 2000's hunk of metal

and the price point makes me happy. the new miata and frs are both personal sports car but their overhead price is near 30k out the door where you can get a corolla in manual base model for 23 after incentives.. which just appeals to me on all levels

now, what would I recommend? what is the goal of this car? If you want a performance sportsy hatch the focus ST while used is still the best bang for your dollar, if it has to be new alot of signs point to the N, but if performance is nice but not a main feature Id take a huge gamble on the corolla to start becoming a new sort of fun car and toyota's famous reliability

Quick Reply: 2019 Veloster N and Toyota Corolla Hatch?