Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2019 Veloster N and Toyota Corolla Hatch?

Old 11-03-2018, 09:35 AM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

I wouldn't buy a car just because they slap some higher performance parts on it, if you see some Velosters that are a couple years old they already look tired. I'd rather put in a few more bucks and get the Civic Type R and you will have a car to enjoy for a long time down the road. One good thing about Hyundai is their warranty always seemed like a great incentive to buy their cars, not sure if they still have a great warranty or if there is a ton of fine print within them to negate potential coverage of major parts. I never looked at it close enough. but it looked good on the surface.

If I was in the market today I'd consider the Civic Type R , or even the Civic Si, or a Subaru WRX. The Kia Stinger looks like a cool car but I have no idea what they cost. I don't know enough about the Toyota to comment on it, but I'd rather put my money into a Honda or Toyota over a Hyundai or Kia .

Last edited by zeroptzero; 11-03-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:59 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

I wish the si came in the hatchback version for added utility but you could get the ex-t. I like the look of the Corolla infinitely better than the civic, but turbo Honda sounds more fun.
The veloster is an intriguing car, but to be honest I'd have a hard time picking one up over a gti. But I do dig them, and I could see me liking one.
As always, test drive them, see which one speaks to you.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:14 AM

I was at my Honda dealer today and they had a Civic Type R in red, it was stunning , and I love it in that colour. For a bit more money I would not hesitate to take that over the Veloster, the Type R is a great value in my eyes.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:30 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

This next year in Canada, the TypeR is coming in the white, black, and that dark steel gray. Apparently the red is one year only for us- at least, that's what the Honda Canada site says. I have 2 friends who own typeR's and had the opportunity to drive them- I really like the TypeR.

I'm thinking the Veloster and the Toyota hatch would be good dailies with the - and I can't believe I'm going to say this- Toyota edging it out given its dual injector/DI engine set up...I just couldn't bring myself to drive the TypeR in the winter salt/brine bullshit we get in our towns. But that's just me.

darcy
Old 11-05-2018, 06:19 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
This next year in Canada, the TypeR is coming in the white, black, and that dark steel gray. Apparently the red is one year only for us- at least, that's what the Honda Canada site says. I have 2 friends who own typeR's and had the opportunity to drive them- I really like the TypeR.

I'm thinking the Veloster and the Toyota hatch would be good dailies with the - and I can't believe I'm going to say this- Toyota edging it out given its dual injector/DI engine set up...I just couldn't bring myself to drive the TypeR in the winter salt/brine bullshit we get in our towns. But that's just me.

darcy
You only live once and if you can afford the R and truely want it, go for it. I will be driving mine through the same wintery conditions and at the end of the day it’s just a car that is fun and not mundane. Also another benefit I think will be the fact that it won’t depreciate too terribly much compared to the other two.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:21 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

So, the local dealer (Fenwick Hyundai) gave me a ring - the N is in the showroom in the powder blue. It looks so right on the N. Interior is just a step under the typeR for fit and materials. The rear appears to have camber adjustment, while the front will need crash bolts to give more negative.

Apparently the 2L turbo is a tuned version found in the Elantra or some other Hyundai model. Seats comfortable. Steering wheel fits right. I liked the driving position. Looks easy to work on overall. With the rear seats dropped, should fit 4 rims easily enough. Surprisingly enough room in the back seats to sit behind myself.

We'll see how it does on the autocross course against the TypeR, RS, GTi etc. but I think Hyundai has a winner on its hands.

darcy
Old 11-25-2018, 03:48 AM

Dual injection system is the way to go for a long term daily, it is the only way to get around intake valve deposits on these newer direct injection engines. Not sure it will help with fuel dilution of the oil but may be just enough to help with that issue ?

I expect a recall to be coming on my Honda Civic Touring model with the 1.5 turbo for fuel dilution concerns. My Civic has been flawless thus far but I do worry about the long term potential issues with fuel dilution of the oil, just like every other direct injection turbo motor in the market. Looks like Toyota has the jump on this issue and definitely a big plus when considering that vehicle.

Last edited by zeroptzero; 11-25-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 11-25-2018, 09:48 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Is the N in the same league as the Type R, or is it more si?
Old 11-25-2018, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Is the N in the same league as the Type R, or is it more si?
Performance wise it should be competitive, slightly less power but lots of torque, I haven't compared weights but the Veloster may have the advantage there. But for me the looks of the Veloster just doesn't inspire me, something like putting lipstick on a pig, lol. While the Civic Type R isn't the prettiest car in the world it looks better than the Veloster, I like the size , shape and body design of the Civic much better, particularly with the 4 door arrangement and easy access to the rear.

The Veloster has some great features , huge brakes all around, great multi-setting suspension , and active exhaust system, very cool, lots of value for the money. A while back I saw a video of a Kia Stinger beating a 500 hp Mustang at the drag strip, AWD and all the torque available under 2000 rpms killed the Mustang on the launch, less power but real world speed, I think that would be a great daily driver.

Last edited by zeroptzero; 11-25-2018 at 02:28 PM.

Quick Reply: 2019 Veloster N and Toyota Corolla Hatch?