Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2020 BMW Z4 driven by the press

Old 06-06-2018, 03:36 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Chibo
Which is kind of funny, since I owned one of the original Z4M coupes and I wouldn't describe it as elegant or playful. That car had a... brutal... feeling to it. Everything about it was super solid, strong feeling, and serious. I've never driven a Boxter (or Cayman) though.
Z4M was an exception to the rest of the Z4 line up. I drove the Z3 M Coupe when shopping for car against Boxster and S2000 and went with S2000. I am fan of the Z4 looks in an variants.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:49 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Are the German made Z4's US compliant? Z4's for the US had been domestic manufactured previously.
Where will these be made? I hadn't thought of that.

Our 2015 435i was built in Germany and delivered to us there then redelivered at our local dealership.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:51 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

This car does nothing for me, rather just get a 2 series. Granted I didn't drive it but who here is actually holding their breath that its gonna feel agile like a Porsche or miata? Who's holding their breath thinking its gonna out place a vette? Lastly who's housing their breath thinking its gonna have good resale value? I don't see the point of this car.
I feel that bmw knows its bread and butter is selling DD capable performance cars, like the m3, and their pitch is exactly that their sedans and coupes can run with the best sports cars out there. So selling an actual sportscar in that price segment can only cannibalize that.
The supra will be cool because look how cool it looks with these rims and stance, jdm yo. But I dunno, the best thing about Toyota sports cars of the past was the fact that it was a durable Toyota, worst things about bmws is their expensive upkeep that if not done lead to catastrophic failures. I mean everyone loves the e46, the friggin subframes crack people.
I'll never fully understand the psychology of auto enthusiasts.
The following users liked this post:
WolfpackS2k (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 11:07 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I agree with what you write, but imo BMW's bread and butter is leasing 3 and 5 series to the Camry crowds, not making M cars anymore.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by freq
Where will these be made? I hadn't thought of that.

Our 2015 435i was built in Germany and delivered to us there then redelivered at our local dealership.
Going to South Carolina to take delivery could be fun too. I wonder if you deal with the factory you could get a non-standard color?
Old 06-06-2018, 11:26 AM
CMK

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

The way the automotive industry is changing (and how fast it's changing) you can't blame the companies for trying to put the focus on the moneymakers.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:21 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Granted I didn't drive it but who here is actually holding their breath that its gonna feel agile like a Porsche or miata? Who's holding their breath thinking its gonna out place a vette? Lastly who's housing their breath thinking its gonna have good resale value? I don't see the point of this car.
I feel that bmw knows its bread and butter is selling DD capable performance cars, like the m3, and their pitch is exactly that their sedans and coupes can run with the best sports cars out there. So selling an actual sportscar in that price segment can only cannibalize that.

To me, this car only makes sense with the four banger at $45k fairly well equipped. Make it not playing against the big boys, but a decently fun car at an attainable price for more people and those who might want to badge whore. Think original Boxster or Z3 from back in the day. Stick it in the small area occupied by the 370z Nismo and maybe Mustang and Camaro. When you start pushing mid fifties for a four banger (and it is a decent one but not spectacular) or up to about $70k for the six you have so many choices you have to beat most of the competition at their game. I don't think this is going to do this.

I also say this knowing a couple of the reviews from people who have driven the car have been complimentary but the automotive press does this about EVERY new car. Did you hear the Stinger will be the greatest thing since sliced bread? The i30n is also super spectacular, until you see it reviewed in comparison tests and finishing below existing hatches. Could this thing come to market and blow everything away? I can't even say that for the sake of argument. This will be a sporty, spendy boulevard cruiser that appeals to people who bought an SLK a few years ago and wanna look good on sunny days running errands in the nicer suburbs. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I just have a feeling that I could hop into this thing and go for a ride and think "Hey that's a cool car that is fairly fun!" And then the salesman says "You wanna pay $68,000 for it?" I laugh and walk out.

A couple years ago I was looking at used late model Z4's and used lease return four banger 28i's were going for as low as $22,000 with low miles. I think the entry price is just gonna be way too high to be a value. Second owners are going to get a decent value on a nice car a few years down the road.

And I just stopped off at the Mazda lot two days ago to peek in the window of a couple RF's. Damn that is a BEAUTIFUL car in person. I don't care how slow it is and about $30k out the door is not hard to find.

Last edited by vader1; 06-06-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:31 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Just seems like it doesn't stand out in any way. I suppose if Merc stops making the SLC (likely) and now that they don't have the TT vert, people who want a somewhat upscale "sporty" roadster and don't want to spend Boxster money will like the Z4. That isn't most of us here.
Originally Posted by vader1
I also say this knowing a couple of the reviews from people who have driven the car have been complimentary but the automotive press does this about EVERY new car. Did you hear the Stinger will be the greatest thing since sliced bread? The i30n is also super spectacular, until you see it reviewed in comparison tests and finishing below existing hatches. Could this thing come to market and blow everything away? I can't even say that for the sake of argument. This will be a sporty, spendy boulevard cruiser that appeals to people who bought an SLK a few years ago and wanna look good on sunny days running errands in the nicer suburbs. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Yeah, I hate that. First drives seem to basically rehash press release info and then give a generous impression of early driving impressions. Comparison tests are where the rubber meets the road.

Although with regards to the i30N, I did read an Aussie mag comparison test with like 9 other hot hatches and the i30 won, with the CTR in 2nd I believe. It might actually be good!
Old 06-09-2018, 10:55 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
GT350 and Z4 are very different cars. Could get a Range Rover Velar for the same price too...
Where you lost is me when you suggested someone looking for a GT sports car might get a Range Rover instead. Will someone in the 55-70k space pick a soft top over a bispoke motor with a great manual? I don't know. It's an interesting position.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by rob-2
Where you lost is me when you suggested someone looking for a GT sports car might get a Range Rover instead.
Was in jest as the GT350 is so far apart from a Z4, one may as well offer an SUV. Z4 is a two passenger car; hardly a GT.

Quick Reply: 2020 BMW Z4 driven by the press