Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2020 Ford Mustang Shelby Cobra GT500

Old 01-19-2019, 07:31 AM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff
Still Team ZL1/ ZL1 1LE all day since you can still get a manual.
+1. All fckin' day long, my friend! The SS1LE with manual is an effin' beast. Friend of mine competes with hers in SCCA and CASC-OR autoslalom- all right noises, bouncing off the rev limiter, it is an autocross weapon.

no third pedal? go suck it Ford.

darcy
The following users liked this post:
HawkeyeGeoff (01-21-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 08:41 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LUV2REV
I had no issues with the interior at all. It was the actual build quality. Poor fitting body panels (front fenders to hood and bumper cap), saggy rear bumper cap, various bits of dirt in the paint, overspray (from black painted roof) on drivers c-pillar, ripples in the metal on the passenger c-pillar that bothered me. In this day and age, there is no excuse for build quality like this at any price point IMO. I laugh at the tacky 'Built with Pride UAW' stickers Ford affixes to so many of their vehicles. Should read "Built like Shit'. The GT350 does offer great performance value, that does not excuse it from being built without some inherent quality however.
yeah, I love my viper too, but it doesn’t make me immune to
noticing things that should be better. Mustangs turn me off like almost no other cars. Some of the engines are cool, but everything else...I’ll pass.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:04 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Why's Ford reluctant/afraid to go after a certain track number? Is it because the GT500 will be too heavy (rumored to be 4000 lbs!) to be competitive?

https://www2.motorauthority.com/news...g-shelby-gt500

Some unhappy Ford fans:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/thr...course.115965/
Old 01-21-2019, 02:43 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

I think the article makes a good point - Ford didn't do it with the GT supercar (and that was a beast at the track), so why would they with the GT500?

The ZL1 1LE is 3837 lbs so, while 4000 lbs is heavier, it's not THAT much heavier and the extra hp in the GT500 should make up for it in terms of acceleration. It'll struggle a wee bit more in transitions and braking, perhaps, but still, it should be competitive. I do think the ZL1 1LE will be faster around most tracks - it's a newer platform, it's lighter, it has more aggressive aero - the GT500 is still going to be an absolute monster.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:20 AM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

GT350 according to Car & Driver was around 3800 pounds. the GT350R about 3700...thats actually not bad given how long the car is and the hardware. I would be surprised if the GT500 is a full 200 pounds heavier for a supercharger and aftercooler.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:03 AM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by LUV2REV
I had no issues with the interior at all. It was the actual build quality. Poor fitting body panels (front fenders to hood and bumper cap), saggy rear bumper cap, various bits of dirt in the paint, overspray (from black painted roof) on drivers c-pillar, ripples in the metal on the passenger c-pillar that bothered me. In this day and age, there is no excuse for build quality like this at any price point IMO. I laugh at the tacky 'Built with Pride UAW' stickers Ford affixes to so many of their vehicles. Should read "Built like Shit'. The GT350 does offer great performance value, that does not excuse it from being built without some inherent quality however.
I took my RS to my auto/body shop. His shop is the best here and he does all the exotic work for those dealerships. Mc, P Car, Ferrari, Lambo, all go to him. His work is impeccable. I take it up there to show him. He eyes the panel gaps, the paint, all of it and says something like no way this is a Ford. Panel gaps are perfect, paint is excellent (by today's standards), and build quality is solid. I then inform him it was built in Germany not Mehico or Tejas, and he says "ah, that's it."
They build the GT350 in the same plant as the Mustang GT which is why the gaps are so bad. I've driven 2 350's, and seen plenty and yes the same complaints as you. I still say the motor is worth all the tradeoffs. Magnaride or whatever is excellent too, as is the transmission. Ford Performance vehicles should be built in a special factory with more detail given to them but it is what it is.

This GT500, to not have a manual option for the purists is a tough deal. Good on them for moving forward but 3 pedals would have been better to me. I'm waiting for Chevy or Ford to build an AWD version, which to me would be killer but I'm not holding my breath. We may see a regular Mustang GT AWD at some point but not these hopped up versions.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by budgy
GT350 according to Car & Driver was around 3800 pounds. the GT350R about 3700...thats actually not bad given how long the car is and the hardware. I would be surprised if the GT500 is a full 200 pounds heavier for a supercharger and aftercooler.
Supercharger, aftercooler, stronger transmission (ie, heavier), stronger/bigger drive axles, stronger/bigger rear diff, probably bigger brakes, bigger wheels, bigger tires, reinforcement in the chassis as needed, greater cooling for all the systems (not just the engine but also the transmission and rear diff, potentially). It all adds up.

For instance, on the current M3/M4, the DCT car weighs about 40 lbs more than the 6MT cars, in roughly identical spec, based on a very quick Google search.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:35 AM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Forgot about the twin clutch transmission, yeah I can see 200 pounds easy now.

Pretty wild what can be done with even basic 5.0 GT now, with basic bolt ons and E85 guys are putting down 500WHP. 475 on regular gas.

Engines are bulletproof, drivetrain can handle it, whipple chargers putting down 750WHP without touching internals.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:57 AM

475 whp on regular gas with bolt ons? Wow! That's incredible. That's anywhere from 520 to 545 crank hp if we stick with 10-15% drivetrain losses.

Are the transmissions handling it okay? I know the early models had some quality/breaking issues but I believe they've been resolved.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:10 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by budgy
I would be surprised if the GT500 is a full 200 pounds heavier for a supercharger and aftercooler.
Why? My C6 ZR1 is right around 200lbs heavier than a C6 Z06 with the carbon package. The weight difference has been attributed to a heavier/stronger clutch, supercharger, intercooler, stronger rear diff, stronger wheel hubs, etc. All that weight adds up quickly.

I bet the GT500 will bump right around 4,000lbs. Which really isn't that big of a deal as the GT500 has always been a straight-line hoon mobile. There are zero stock GT500's that have ever seriously been considered autocross or road course track weapons. This one will be no different.

Quick Reply: 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby Cobra GT500