Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2020 Supra - Anyone else liking it and would replace your S2k for it?

Old 05-17-2019, 01:31 PM

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,444 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
I don't either, truth be told. Seems all the hate is the lack of a manual, but I think that's more an excuse to complain I think it looks really good and shows a lot of promise. With all the SUV's coming out every day it's really nice to see a new 2 door sports coupe coming out.
The expectations were too high for the Supra name, if it was called a Toyota IR350i people would think it was a great new car.

When I heard that the Supra was coming back I was a bit worried as a Honda fan. I thoroughly expected it to be a NSX killer -priced accordingly of course. It did not get built that way though.

As a sports car I like it, and I like the auto transmission that can shift faster than me, the autos also work great with turbos. No complaints from me overall. GM has the world convinced that building cars is dumb, so good to see Toyota proving them wrong.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:53 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
The expectations were too high for the Supra name, if it was called a Toyota IR350i people would think it was a great new car. When I heard that the Supra was coming back in recent years I thought it would be a NSX killer and priced accordingly of course. I like it, and I like non-manual transmissions that can shift faster than me, they also work great with turbos. No complaints from me on that.
Natural conclusion to have especially with the FT1 visuals burned in our heads, it looked like a NSX killer, something special. This carnation of the Supra is not that. Doesn't mean its a bad car, just not what many of us were expecting. I still think the front face is not helping it at all. Put a "gazoo racing" sticker/decal next to the fake side vents and it would be salt in the eye.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:55 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
I don't understand the "BMW engine" hate. (Especially from the uninformed who think the whole car is just a rebadged Z4.) I do kind of understand the styling hate—the concept looked great, and the Supra, while it's starting to grow on me, is more of an acquired taste. I'm still not a fan of the front fascia. I can also kind of see the "fake vents" hate, although it's somewhat better that they were designed thoughtfully with space to run ducts and such.
Try owning one, the maintenance/breakdowns will make you hate it.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:05 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
"Gazoo Racing". Really? Hard to take a name like that seriously. Was TRD not up to the task any longer?.
"GR" or "Gazoo Racing" are infinitely better than "T(u)RD"! Honestly I'd never drive anything with "TRD" plastered all over it. GR? Fine.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:18 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
"GR" or "Gazoo Racing" are infinitely better than "T(u)RD"! Honestly I'd never drive anything with "TRD" plastered all over it. GR? Fine.
You sound pretty serious, you on the Gazoo racing team?

Last edited by s2000Junky; 05-17-2019 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:07 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
You sound pretty serious, you on the Gazoo racing team?
???
not at all, I've just always been dumbfounded by Toyota's eagerness to plaster an acronym that's pronounced "turd" onto its cars and trucks! WTH...
I know next to nothing about Gazoo Racing or GR and honestly don't see why a car that already has a name needs these added to it. But hell, they're better than "TRD"!
Old 05-18-2019, 07:31 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Too expensive, too AT, too BMW...
Basically..

The only car i'd move on to is a Boxster.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would not replace my S, looks better as a daily car (auto but still has serious performance and modern tech).
Old 05-21-2019, 07:21 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
The expectations were too high for the Supra name, if it was called a Toyota IR350i people would think it was a great new car.

When I heard that the Supra was coming back I was a bit worried as a Honda fan. I thoroughly expected it to be a NSX killer -priced accordingly of course. It did not get built that way though.

As a sports car I like it, and I like the auto transmission that can shift faster than me, the autos also work great with turbos. No complaints from me overall. GM has the world convinced that building cars is dumb, so good to see Toyota proving them wrong.
Why were expectations high? The Supra was never a super car, it was a GT car always, hell it started as a higher trim level Celica.

I'll definitely check them out once they're available.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:08 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Basically..

The only car i'd move on to is a Boxster.
Funny you mention that... just got my C&D print mag yesterday and they compared base 4-cyl Z4 vs. base Boxster. In short, same BMW complaints (less engagement, overweight at ~350lbs more despite going back to a ragtop, auto-only) and I don't need to tell you which car won.

Quick Reply: 2020 Supra - Anyone else liking it and would replace your S2k for it?