Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

4 Seat Convertible for the Wife

Old 05-21-2016, 06:11 PM

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 4 Seat Convertible for the Wife

Looking for a 4 seat convertible for the wife. We'll be testing a bunch. Thought I'd ask the forum. The wife just loves driving convertibles. I think she would go top down 9 months/year in Chicago and warmer days in winter.

Requirements: $15k max
Auto transmission. If comes with with fast shifting paddles, that's good but not required. (She's got almost no interest in driving stick full time so don't bother.)
Must have usable back seat for teenage girls
Somewhat fun for me.

Some initial thoughts: BMW 128i/135i/328i/335i. These would from the last generation, likely 2008 to 2010. I have a 135i coupe. Will have to check on seat room in rear of the 1-series verts though.

What do y'all think of the E46 328i/330i? These would be cheaper. Thoughts on the E46 M3 SMG? She would would run it entirely in automatic.

Some other options/dark horses:
Mini Cooper
Volkswagen EOS. I know zip about this car.
Porsche 996. Hard to get for $15k. Maintenance $$$. IMS
Jeep Wrangler. Wow do these hold value! Much more expensive than I thought. Wife is way into the idea of these though she's never been in one.
BMW 6 Series. Am I looking for a world of pain with this beast?

Interesting but out:
-Mustangs/Camaros/Firebird Trans Am, etc. She loved the '15 Mustang we rented but those are too much money. The earlier Muscle cars are just too junky inside and too masculine.
-Lexus SC430. V8 and good looking but alas there's no room in the back. Saw one today up close. Quality of finishes was high. Shucks.

What do y'all think?
Old 05-22-2016, 05:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

At that price it might be tough but an older A5 cab might be a good choice.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since she seems highly interested in the Jeep, I'd go for that. Taking the top off is not as convenient as a regular convertible though, so there's that.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:48 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Agreed. Spend the money and get the Jeep. More expensive to buy but as you know, they hold their value much better than they probably should.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:24 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

I'm not sure who "the wife" may be (sounds like an object of some sort) but I let my wife buy her own cars. And pay for them. Got nothing to do with me at all. Which car should I buy is an ambush if it doesn't work out -- it'll be your fault. She can read and work the web. 4-seat convertibles exist but the back seats are only suitable for small children you don't want to hear.

-- Chuck
Old 05-22-2016, 11:35 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I'm not sure who "the wife" may be (sounds like an object of some sort) but I let my wife buy her own cars. And pay for them. Got nothing to do with me at all. Which car should I buy is an ambush if it doesn't work out -- it'll be your fault. She can read and work the web. 4-seat convertibles exist but the back seats are only suitable for small children you don't want to hear.

-- Chuck
Sounds like a great marriage y'all have! Congrats!
Old 05-22-2016, 12:55 PM

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S

-- Chuck
She's my best friend. We do things together. We take road trips together. We want a car we'll both enjoy together. We help each other. I know a bit more about cars so I'm helping her. We share finances. I don't worry about being blamed. We are going looking for cars together. I want her to be happy on the car and she wants to have fun in it too because I'll be driving a bunch as well. I'm interested in cars so she's taken an interest in cars. I've taken interests in cooking and gardening because we do that together.

There are a lot of knowledgeable car people here. I thought I would look to this community for some advice for me and my wife.

You don't know me. You don't know my wife. You don't know our relationship. Yet, you've made a number of obnoxious assumptions.

This is the Internet. You ask for a couple car ideas and a guy tells you how to run your marriage.

Do me a favor. Don't reply. Don't talk to me again.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoa, whoa, let's not become NASIOC here. I enjoy the rare peacefulness that this forum has.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:34 PM

Received 1,106 Likes on 987 Posts

You should revisit the Camaro and Mustang. Personally I'm not a fan of the Jeep- been in a few and way to noisy and uncomfortable to ride. And in cold Chicago winters, it can't be that good.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:18 PM

Received 1,555 Likes on 924 Posts

One idea outside the box may be a much older car that has been maintained/restored. Late 50s, early 60s will have a pretty good backseat, easy to work on, free from smog requirements, and with the budget you mentioned, you won't have to worry like crazy about it because it won't be worth a ton. May not be much of a track car (LOL!) but it will make for a fun drive.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: 4 Seat Convertible for the Wife