Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

4C vs F-type vs Evora vs GT350

Old 01-21-2018, 08:36 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by tonerockyhorror
There are a couple close to me but they don't have any used Lotus' in stock, just new 400s.
Give the 400 a go to see what it's like. Imagine a slightly slower 400 that is more finicky; that is the S and and NA models. If you don't like the 400, you won't like the earlier gen.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Meh Lotus dealers suck, most of them don't have dedicated techs and/or share a tech with Jag or some other brand. If you buy a Lotus pretty much consider yourself on your own unless you know someone in the company like Simkin that can help you out.
My local dealer is one of the oldest in country and they've only sold about a dozen Evoras. I find with them the service experience differs if you bought the car there or not. Some things they were really on top of the game fixing, other it did not seem like I was getting much expertise. They deal with significantly more Elise, Espirit, and Exige. Although they are just Aston & Lotus dealers, I'd say about 25% of their repair business is Ferrari & Maserati. The shop is impeccably clean. As you mentioned, a lot of Lotus owners are more DIY than you'd find with other similar exotic sports car marques. At least the engine won't let you down...
Old 02-01-2018, 02:12 AM

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Jag F looks and sounds great, even in V6. Gear box is ok. She’s a big girl. More of a GT.

M2 has come up. Consider a 1M. They’re in your price range but are collectible and won’t depreciate as much or at all.

A little surprised Cayman/Boxster aren’t on the list. The Cay is even a bit practical with the two trunks. With your budget lots of goods options in 6 cylinders or lightly used turbo 4s, pdk or manual. Depending on where you live they can seem as exotic as Toyotas but they’re popular for a reason.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:12 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Mustang all the way.

Subdued styling has class. Witness the Bullit model. Class in 1968 (69?) and the late body shell mimics it nicely. Original car had a Ford 390 engine it, the largest allowed by NASCAR until the 427s were approved. Old 390 would move. New crate versions move faster. Coyote engine can make stupid power with the right mods and the styling can be left alone and not attract too much attention (including theft). A billion aftermarket parts for it.

Need it fixed? Parts for Mustangs are everywhere.

-- Chuck
Old 06-21-2019, 10:26 AM

Anyone here considering a 4C?
Old 06-21-2019, 08:27 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Wouldn’t touch it. GT350R is in my garage.

after a good amount of seat time the 350 has the engine profile of a v8 f20c might have been. It’s big. Drive train near perfect, though clutch is light. Design i like. Interior you get over in about 30s after rolling away.

its by no means torquey and needs to be rung out. Though my other car is producing 350tq at 2k so maybe I’m spoiled.

As for buying without a test drive. I’ve done that on the last 3 cars without a problem.

4c is Alfa quality and auto. I’d never own one.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:27 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

I went gt350 too, and sold it after seemingly every day someone blowing up their motor or developing a noise that will require an engine replacement. That's before we even get into the ac, panel fitment, bumper sagging, exhaust leaks, oil consumption ,etc etc.

I miss that car dearly though.

4c comes in auto only and it's an alfa so you get to be unique beverage everyone else likes reliable cars. Evora I like the most but things like as clutch job is mucho dinero.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:34 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
I went gt350 too, and sold it after seemingly every day someone blowing up their motor or developing a noise that will require an engine replacement. That's before we even get into the ac, panel fitment, bumper sagging, exhaust leaks, oil consumption ,etc etc.

I miss that car dearly though.

4c comes in auto only and it's an alfa so you get to be unique beverage everyone else likes reliable cars. Evora I like the most but things like as clutch job is mucho dinero.
I don’t seem to have those problems but oil consumption and I’m ok with that.

I don’t have a single complaint about the R. It’s exactly what I expected it to be. The motors blowing up isn’t something I’m aware of. You sure you’re not confusing the issues with the Focus RS?
Old 06-24-2019, 05:18 AM
CMK

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I would seriously be lusting after a GT350 convertible if they would make one. I guess I should be thankful they won't.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
You're saying the 4C is not reliable? Evora clutch job isn't that much more than a Vantage clutch job from a dealer. There's always the IPS Evora too.

As an aside, I was at a car show yesterday and someone had an Evora 400 there. He also owns a Huracan and R8. He drives the Evora 400 the most and feels it's the most confidence inspiring of his cars at speed, despite the Huracan and R8 both being AWD.

Quick Reply: 4C vs F-type vs Evora vs GT350