Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: If you dont see what you think I should get let me know and I'll add it.
Subaru STI (06-07)
62.96%
Subaru Impreza 2.5RS (00-01)
7.41%
Mercedes Bens C300 Sport 4matic
14.81%
Subaru Legacy GT 04/05
14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

4WD/daily- Help me decide!

Old 12-25-2012, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The C300 would be my choice, but you are dreaming if you think you can get one for $25K.

An off-lease 2 year old C350 would be a great car. Don't go for the STi unless you just want an STi for it's own sake. The 2.5 RS is a great car but you're looking at a 12 year old economy car. As a Civic alternative I think it is far superior for the money but WTF?

Either decide on a car or decide on a budget. A clean used C350 will deliver what you spend. The rest demand a sacrifice somewhere. The Impreza platform has never been about comfort or roomy rear seats. An older car will require maintenance and replace/repair worn parts. A slightly used C-class Mercedes will be pretty solid but simple things like replacing the battery will have you pulling your hair out if you don't have a dealer nearby. It's a non-standard size guaranteed and probably in the trunk. Not a big deal, but it just adds hassle and cost for something that should be simple. But they make great cars.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:22 PM

Received 559 Likes on 391 Posts

I would prefer the 05-06 STI over the 06-07 STI. The 07 particularly had some ECU changes for the EJ257 that caused ringland piston failures/cracking. however, even if you do go for the 05-06 STI, you'll have a tough time finding one that hasn't been modded/molested. Your only hope is for "light" modifications. If you can find an unmodded one, that's where my vote goes.

However, for the poll, I actually picked the legacy GT since it's more of a DD, more incognito, and less likely to be modded.

I owned an '09 STI, and surprisingly it was super reliable. It made a great DD, and was fun to drive up to the mountains for snowboarding trips. In the end, I got rid of it since I had a truck and wanted more of a track car - and all of the horror stories scared me off.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Bullwings, I'd take an 05-06 STi. I'd stay away from 04s due to the 5x100 and I don't trust 07+ engines.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:52 AM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

I think the question is...

define "decent gas mileage".... if 20+ is your target, take the STI off the list... I've debated on '11 / '12 STI for quite some time as a daily and three friends have STIs.. all aren't even close to 20... 13~17mpg is what they are averaging, and they are all various types of drivers (highway commuter, short local commute to work, weekend for fun car)... they all seem to average around the same amount... and two have been tuned (which apparently helped their gas mileage)...

anwyay, i think the other question i'd have is.. how "fun" a car are you looking for... I don't need my commuter car to be "fun".... it needs to go from point a to point b and haul crap.

I like the G37x idea btw... i'm also a lot older than you.. so the days of loud crappy riding cars is past me (I have the s2000 for that )

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
The C300 would be my choice, but you are dreaming if you think you can get one for $25K.

An off-lease 2 year old C350 would be a great car. Don't go for the STi unless you just want an STi for it's own sake. The 2.5 RS is a great car but you're looking at a 12 year old economy car. As a Civic alternative I think it is far superior for the money but WTF?

Either decide on a car or decide on a budget. A clean used C350 will deliver what you spend. The rest demand a sacrifice somewhere. The Impreza platform has never been about comfort or roomy rear seats. An older car will require maintenance and replace/repair worn parts. A slightly used C-class Mercedes will be pretty solid but simple things like replacing the battery will have you pulling your hair out if you don't have a dealer nearby. It's a non-standard size guaranteed and probably in the trunk. Not a big deal, but it just adds hassle and cost for something that should be simple. But they make great cars.

I've been seeing C300s at dealerships around here for 22k-24k (with normal miles) ( http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/3450293418.html , http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/3496206186.html ). They must be cheaper in the NW? I think I've talked him out of a MB, I prefer my little subie. I've been pretty lucky with my old little car
Former Moderator

oh..and one more thing... you already have a subaru in the family garage.....get something different..
Old 12-26-2012, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mocky
anwyay, i think the other question i'd have is.. how "fun" a car are you looking for... I don't need my commuter car to be "fun".... it needs to go from point a to point b and haul crap.

I like the G37x idea btw... i'm also a lot older than you.. so the days of loud crappy riding cars is past me (I have the s2000 for that )
I think this is the part we're having the hardest time with, how "fun" of a car do we want? Of course, I want the fun car We live on a mountain with lots of twisty roads, so it makes sense to me to have a fun car We've been debating this for a while, we just can't decide... luxury/comfy or fun?
Old 12-26-2012, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mocky
oh..and one more thing... you already have a subaru in the family garage.....get something different..
Noooooo... I already told Scooby that she may be getting an adopted big brother! Seriously though, that makes sense.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:09 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by :hello: Monica
Originally Posted by Mocky' timestamp='1356537133' post='22230152

I think this is the part we're having the hardest time with, how "fun" of a car do we want? Of course, I want the fun car We live on a mountain with lots of twisty roads, so it makes sense to me to have a fun car We've been debating this for a while, we just can't decide... luxury/comfy or fun?

ah..see.. my commute is.. one road (some slow turns..nothing fun) for 1 mile at 25mph... an onramp (that's straight) two highways at 65mph (if rush hour lets me get that fast)... an offramp (that's straight)... and two right turns (30mph).. and i'm in the office parking lot... ultimate non-dramatic commute.. i'm more interested in making sure my coffee doesn't spill and the radio picking up ESPN radio then I am seeing if I can redline in three gears up the highway onramp.. (also because the idea of going fast on a public highway onramp at 7am or 4:30pm has 0 appeal to me)
Old 12-26-2012, 07:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the STI!

I got a consistent 24 mpg in my 04 STi, so it really depends on how you drive it. I drove a mix of city and highway, and drove pretty spirited, so decently mileage is not a myth.

My 4EAT Forester gets about the same mileage.

Quick Reply: 4WD/daily- Help me decide!