Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

5-seater after my s2000?

Old 09-01-2018, 08:00 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
AWD? How difficult are these repair jobs for the DIY'r? Is it the sort of thing where every job that would be quick and simple on a honda or subaru is a royal PITA because of german engineering, or is it mostly like any other car (for example, do you have to remove the entire front end of the car to simply change a water pump?). I would love something this nice/fast/cheap/fun for a winter beater.
Just did my diffs and tranny on the x drive. Filling the tranny was a pita. I *think* I got it right.

On some 3.0 inline 6 they had valve covers crack because they're now plastic. Most folks get 70-100k out of them.

If you pick them up cheap enough you just drive them until they fail. Got one for $6k and commute in it. Nav, bluetooth, memory seats etc etc for that price seems like a deal.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:18 AM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
AWD? How difficult are these repair jobs for the DIY'r? Is it the sort of thing where every job that would be quick and simple on a honda or subaru is a royal PITA because of german engineering, or is it mostly like any other car (for example, do you have to remove the entire front end of the car to simply change a water pump?). I would love something this nice/fast/cheap/fun for a winter beater.
I have a rwd 335i. But working on these cars are quite labor intensive in comparison to a s2000. There is a reason why labor is like $1000+ to change the oil pan gasket and $2000 + to change turbos. But the benefit of that is it makes theses car super cheep and a great vale for the diy car person. If you can do basic car stuff like clutch jobs and engine swaps in your garage you can work on anything.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:24 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

"Clutch jobs" and "engine swaps" do not belong in the same sentence as "basic car stuff".

Basic car stuff would be oil changes, brake replacement (pads and rotors, if needed), diff fluid changes, etc. You only need basic hand tools, no lifts, no hoists, no specialty items, etc...
Old 09-03-2018, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
"Clutch jobs" and "engine swaps" do not belong in the same sentence as "basic car stuff".

Basic car stuff would be oil changes, brake replacement (pads and rotors, if needed), diff fluid changes, etc. You only need basic hand tools, no lifts, no hoists, no specialty items, etc...
you don’t need lifts or hoists or special tools to do clutch jobs or engine swaps. For engine swaps you just need a cherry picker which is like $200 new. I have done count less clutch jobs and engine swaps in the past 20 years I have been driving all in my normal 2 car garage at home. Actually most in just a driveway since I have only had a garage for the past 5 years.

Point i I was trying to make is a early manual transmission n54 335i is the best bang for your buck best all round car out there for car guys. I define car guys as someone with the ability to do a clutch job themselves. But non car guys need to stay far away from this car.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:43 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy

I know, I got a kick out of that too. What would be advanced car stuff to him?
Old 09-04-2018, 05:15 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Lol yup and does time not cost money? I barely have time to even drive my s2000 & Evora.

I remember working on sis’s old 3 series and mini were a pain in the ass.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:54 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
If you pick them up cheap enough you just drive them until they fail. Got one for $6k and commute in it. Nav, bluetooth, memory seats etc etc for that price seems like a deal.
Holy crap that is a lot of car for the money. It really is a great enthusiast daily.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
as a real car guy anything that involves maintenance and anything that bolts in i would consider a very basic skill. like clutch jobs/ engine swaps/ diff transmission swaps/ bolt on super charger and turbo kits.
advance things would be custom tig welding and fabrication and engine building and maybe tuning.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by s.hasan546

Lol yup and does time not cost money? I barely have time to even drive my s2000 & Evora.

I remember working on sis’s old 3 series and mini were a pain in the ass.
This thread was about a car that is fun that has 4 doors and is affordable and conferrable . A car that does everything well. Nothing that i can think of will beat a sub $10,000 n54 335i. A person like your self that owns a s2000 and an evora and is making good money probably would just buy a new generation m3/ctsv/atsv that was still under warranty if you were looking for a fun 4 door. Those are the best 4 door car enthusiast cars but they have not depreciated to an affordable price yet.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:14 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by riceball777
This thread was about a car that is fun that has 4 doors and is affordable and conferrable . A car that does everything well. Nothing that i can thin of will beat a sun $10,000 n54 335i. A person like your self that owns a s2000 and an evora and is making good money probably would just buy a new generation m3/ctsv/atsv that was still under warranty if you were looking for a fun 4 door. Those are the best 4 door car enthusiast cars but they have not depreciated to an affordable price yet.
Oh I agree, I love the 335. I love the n54 motor, had it in my 1M. If I had the time to maintain it and didn't drive so many damn miles, it would be near the top of the list for me.

I got my GTI bc it was cheap, had a lot of cargo space, good on gas (I drive 20k/year), and warranty until 100k through Geico extended warranty.

Quick Reply: 5-seater after my s2000?