Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

5k per week Tesla - would you want such a car?

Old 07-05-2018, 08:03 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Tesla allowed order configs last week for all open reservations so they can get the deposits so it looks good on the financials for now even though delivery isn't for 3-5 months. This scheme guarantees another 2,500 per car immediately plus people cannot get the refund on the original 1k anymore one they order. I got my email but passed. The only way I buy this car is if the federal tax credit is still around when the base 35k model comes out. I'll get a few options and make it an appliance commuter for mid 30's after options and federal tax credit. This car is not worth 50-70K at all.

Tesla Opens Model 3 Orders to Reservation Holders - The Drive
Sounds like a Ponzi scheme.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:58 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Yeah, you certainly get a sense of cash flow concerns these days over at Tesla, but it is at least delivering product. The question is, when do economies of scale kick in?
Old 07-09-2018, 05:55 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Yeah, you certainly get a sense of cash flow concerns these days over at Tesla, but it is at least delivering product. The question is, when do economies of scale kick in?
When they can produce 500k-1mil cars/year.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:12 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

I wanna know how many people are dropping off entirely due to bad press and getting their deposits back versus the ones who just take a pass one their turn while they wait for the strippo models? And then how many people will drop off when they start to be seen everywhere and don't seem quite so special?

Long before they can get to the bottom of the wait list, things like the I-Pace will be readily available, and maybe another model or two. They will look just as tasty, close in price, and will be the hot new thing instead.

I really do cheer for Tesla though. A big American car startup. I wish the best for them, but it will continue to be a bumpy rise.

Last edited by vader1; 07-09-2018 at 06:14 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm one of the guys waiting for the strippo models. My wife has a Model S, which she adores. I enjoy driving it, it's a wonderful, comfy, highway cruiser. But some of the criticisms are valid. We were involved in a fender bender and the front quarter panel is back ordered, so we have to drive around with dents and scrapes as we wait. Twice the center touch screen has taken time to load up when the car was parked in the sun in 90+ temps.

Despite all this, I really appreciate the benefits of an electric car, and my will leverage my wife's day 1 Model 3 reservation to get a short range, base Model 3. The Model S drives very well, I expect the Model 3 to drive even better (albeit slower in straight lines) so I have no desire to purchase autopilot/self driving (I'd want to drive it myself). My commute is 40 miles round trip, so 210 miles is plenty of range for me. And less weight is better, another reason I'd prefer the shorter range. RWD>AWD since I don't live in the mountains or have to drive off road. If we get 6+ inches of snow, my job allows me to take time off liberally.

Ever since the NTSB/NHTSA (forget which...) crash tests of the Model S, Tesla has carried a reputation of having extremely safe cars, so it makes perfect sense to me that they structurally overengineered the welds in the Model 3 to get a design in ASAP to start production. Now that they've been able to conduct more thorough tests, they've found out that some welds are unnecessary. I'd bet 4 figures that the Model 3, with the 300 welds removed, will still be rated in the top 5 safest cars in its class.

Last edited by TrumpetTitan; 07-09-2018 at 07:51 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-09-2018, 11:06 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Volvo and Jaguar are going to lead the premium/ultra premium electric car segment; it's just a matter of time. They are both "all in" and I think Tesla will lose its brand mystique once more recognize brands do everything a Tesla does and more. Safety is a big concern and who makes a safer car than Volvo? Jaguar dominates in Formula E; so expect a lot in their portfolio to follow suit.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:46 AM

Talked to my brother last night, his windshield has a large "T" shaped crack in it. Apparently from the Tesla boards, this is a common problem caused by hot days and a poor fit. Does not know when they will source him a replacement but he went on vacation so he does not need the car for a week. He made it a whole month problem free.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Talked to my brother last night, his windshield has a large "T" shaped crack in it. Apparently from the Tesla boards, this is a common problem caused by hot days and a poor fit. Does not know when they will source him a replacement but he went on vacation so he does not need the car for a week. He made it a whole month problem free.
I can confirm this is a common problem. The wife's Model S has a minor windshield fitment problem. We're on the waitlist to get a new windshield, but in the meantime there's slightly more wind noise coming from it. Fortunately no cracks, yet.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by TrumpetTitan
I can confirm this is a common problem. The wife's Model S has a minor windshield fitment problem. We're on the waitlist to get a new windshield, but in the meantime there's slightly more wind noise coming from it. Fortunately no cracks, yet.
My bro just sent me an email talking about how much fun he is having with his Model S loaner, but it is not his windshield that cracked,I had that wrong, it was the entire glass roof. That should be a fun fix.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:18 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
My bro just sent me an email talking about how much fun he is having with his Model S loaner, but it is not his windshield that cracked,I had that wrong, it was the entire glass roof. That should be a fun fix.
This isn't so uncommon on other cars that use a similar system.

Quick Reply: 5k per week Tesla - would you want such a car?