Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

60 Minutes: Conan's SHO

Old 05-04-2010, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S,May 4 2010, 07:54 AM
Don't blame Jay, he didn't have a contractual relationship w/ Conan. Blame NBC if you want to fault anyone.
Eff that, Jay should've done the right thing and simply RETIRED, not try to stay on the air and go to an earlier time slot.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pbm317,May 4 2010, 05:19 PM
Eff that, Jay should've done the right thing and simply RETIRED, not try to stay on the air and go to an earlier time slot.
Let's see how you'll feel about the peanut gallery's opinions when you're nearing retirement age.

I like Jay, I like Conan, and the whole situation sucked, but neither are to blame. It's all NBC's fault for the drama that ensued.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:38 PM

When you think with NBC, you are wrong.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris S,May 4 2010, 01:48 PM
I hope you're not questioning his judgment! I'd have done the same, and wouldn't be back on the air if I got a payday like that.
No, that certainly is A LOT of money; however, he kind of betrayed his fans and took the money. All of a sudden, he was too good for that time slot when he was on that show for almost 2 decades and it was what made him famous. He could've gone back to that show for several more years and Jay will have been retired by then. There are people who thought he took the high road by taking the money over appeasing the fans. At the end of the day, he was just money-hungry (it's not like he wasn't filthy rich before then).
Old 05-04-2010, 04:26 PM

Received 63 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT,May 4 2010, 07:11 AM
Well, he does have a MB and a VW in the driveway as well...

The SHO is a centerpiece, but i wonder what cars he really drives.
tmz did a couple spots on him during the turmoil and he was in a Porsche 911 Cabriolet
Old 05-04-2010, 08:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When the hell did S2KI become a fawkin' SHO fanboi site?

Old 05-04-2010, 09:36 PM

I think Conan's long term ownership of the SHO speaks both to the character of the car (well at least the motor) as well as his enthusiasm for cars. I would also point out that it's not like he needs the money from the sale of a $3000 car so why not keep it for sentimental value as well as comic relief. Also, like may stars I'm sure he likes to have his "no one rich would drive that" car so he can go incognito from time to time.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:06 AM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Steponme,May 4 2010, 03:58 PM
No, that certainly is A LOT of money; however, he kind of betrayed his fans and took the money. All of a sudden, he was too good for that time slot when he was on that show for almost 2 decades and it was what made him famous. He could've gone back to that show for several more years and Jay will have been retired by then. There are people who thought he took the high road by taking the money over appeasing the fans. At the end of the day, he was just money-hungry (it's not like he wasn't filthy rich before then).
you really aren't looking at the bigger picture.

Conan could have taken his old time slot and kicked Jimmy Fallon out of it....that would make him a hypocrite if he did so because he has repeatedly said if he were in Jay's shoes he would not have come back to do the tonight show.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:19 AM

I suspect Conan didn't want anything to do w/ NBC after that fiasco. If your employer kicked you in the balls, would you rather take a big settlement or a demotion?
Old 05-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Banned

In my view, he liked the money more than entertaining his fans like he had been for nearly 2 decades. It wasn't that big a deal, so the new change didn't work out like they had planned, everyone should've gone back to their old shows for a few more years, then a permanent change will take place when Jay retires.

He said that talk show was his dream, but when he saw the presented money, his dream evaporated.

Quick Reply: 60 Minutes: Conan's SHO