Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

60 Minutes: Conan's SHO

Old 05-05-2010, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steponme,May 5 2010, 04:04 PM
In my view, he liked the money more than entertaining his fans like he had been for nearly 2 decades. It wasn't that big a deal, so the new change didn't work out like they had planned, everyone should've gone back to their old shows for a few more years, then a permanent change will take place when Jay retires.

He said that talk show was his dream, but when he saw the presented money, his dream evaporated.
I like money more than doing the job I've done for nearly 2 decades as well.

In case you haven't heard, he has another talk show, just not working for his old a$$holde employer.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Steponme, if I worked as a pizza delivery boy for 15 years waiting for the day I would become manager of the store as was promised me by the owner. Then after all those years when the manager does finally retire, am given the job. Only to have the owner tell me 3 months later that he made a mistake and wants the old manager back even though he's old and doesn't do as good of a job anymore. And I have to go back to being delivery boy and the guy hired to take my place has to start washing dishes. I should just accept that? Even though I trained for years to take that position and passed up other opportunities because of the promises made to me and the loyalty I felt for the store? And even though other stores were begging me to come be their manager? You are so right. He should have given up hundreds of millions of dollars, given up his dream of having his own prime slot show, kicked Fallon to the curb, and continued to work for the A holes who lied to him all so he can make his fans happy. The same fans who can watch him on another channel this fall.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ltswb,May 5 2010, 07:22 PM
So Steponme, if I worked as a pizza delivery boy for 15 years waiting for the day I would become manager of the store as was promised me by the owner. Then after all those years when the manager does finally retire, am given the job. Only to have the owner tell me 3 months later that he made a mistake and wants the old manager back even though he's old and doesn't do as good of a job anymore.
Not very good analogy and full of false logic; not nearly the same situation. For the first time in network history, they wanted to experiment with the 10 o'clock time slot but it didn't work out. Everyone should've gone back to his own time slot. I'm not defending the network, but I'm saying Conan isn't some innocent angel or anything; I think he is money-hungry and he's lost me as a fan. He was making, what, $15, 20 mil a year? That network made him famous, not to mention filthy rich; the least he could do is to continue his old show for a few more years and Jay will have retired by then. He bit the hand that fed him. Regardless of what you guys say, I'm no longer his fan; neither am I Leno's fan. I think Jimmy is a genuinely nice guy though.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:14 PM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

so he should have ****ed over Jimmy Fallon then is what you are saying? "for his fan's sake?"

his real fans will be ok, we are all just waiting for him to come back on a new network.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=budgy,May 6 2010, 03:14 PM] so he should have ****ed over Jimmy Fallon then is what you are saying?
Old 05-06-2010, 03:40 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317,May 4 2010, 03:19 PM
Eff that, Jay should've done the right thing and simply RETIRED, not try to stay on the air and go to an earlier time slot.
Hmm, so you would sacrifice your job for someone else when you want to keep working?
Old 05-06-2010, 05:12 PM

Steponme, how come you're not a successful broadcasting executive instead of posting on S2ki since you know precisely what everyone should do?
Old 05-06-2010, 05:14 PM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Steponme,May 6 2010, 03:28 PM
No one would've been ****ed over. Geez! I don't see why it was such a big deal. The new experiment didn't work out, everyone should've gone back to his own time slot for a short while; a new, permanent change would take place when Jay retires in the near future. They didn't complain when they were being paid millions of dollars for doing their old shows before.

Yes, he could always go to a new network, but it was NBC who fed him and made him a household name. Plain and simple!
Jimmy Fallon didn't have his own time slot before the changes, he didnt have a show. And going on that late basically means yes, he would have gotten screwed, no one would watch his show if it was on any later....everyones watching the Colbert Report re-run if they are still awake by then
Old 05-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris S,May 6 2010, 05:12 PM
Steponme, how come you're not a successful broadcasting executive instead of posting on S2ki since you know precisely what everyone should do?
Who's to say I've never been? My point of view? The guy was just having a hissy fit because he knew NBC would have had to compensate him money for that contractual obligation. In simple words, he money-hungry, yo.

Yes, Fallon didn't have a time slot before then, but he would have taken over Carson's slot.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:06 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by budgy,May 6 2010, 07:14 PM
his real fans will be ok, we are all just waiting for him to come back on a new network.

I'll be watching Conan, not Leno.

Screw NBC, Conan knows that him leaving hurts NBC, it will take away from the 11:30 viewers, and his staff and fans will find homes in a couple months. Conan is going to need all the support staff he had at NBC, the studio they work at will just have a different mailing address.

In a few years when Leno is retiring, NBC will have to come courting Conan, which is better than him sticking around just waiting for the opportunity.