Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

718 GT4

Old 03-19-2018, 08:30 AM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Someone caught a video of a 718 Spyder.

Sounds like a Turdbo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l6n...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-19-2018, 09:04 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by blueprint

Sounds like a Turdbo.

I actually don't think so.

718S turbo flat-4:

981.1 Spyder flat-6:

Doesn't sound distinctly like either to me due to the limited revs/throttle. But I don't hear a turbo and it doesn't sound like a Subaru like the first video.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:28 AM

It doesnt sound like a flat 6 thats for damn sure.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:20 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by blueprint

Sounds like a Turdbo.

That sure sounds like the 4 banger to me. And it does not sound particularly good either.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by vader1
That sure sounds like the 4 banger to me. And it does not sound particularly good either.
I agree.

Im disappointed.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:42 PM

Received 559 Likes on 391 Posts

the pops and burbles sound a bit too artificial and consistently "programmed" the way they do on the that other video that adut posted of the Focus RS.

Oh well. Shy of a BRZ/FRS/FT-86/ND-mx5, I can't afford any "newish" sports car, so, I don't have any problems. It's so much easier when you're "poor." Your options become so limited that choice is an imaginary concept and no one gives a shit whether or not you care.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:58 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

It doesn't sound great, but it doesn't ruin the car for me, either.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:48 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings
Oh well. Shy of a BRZ/FRS/FT-86/ND-mx5, I can't afford any "newish" sports car, so, I don't have any problems. It's so much easier when you're "poor." Your options become so limited that choice is an imaginary concept and no one gives a shit whether or not you care.
After waiting a while and spending $60k on a car I really wanted for years, I can say, its alright. I love the car but don't drive it that much. I still have a hefty payment for another year. It was worth it in the fact that I will keep the car for a long time into the future, but really what I want now is a GTI. Not even an autobahn. It is a fun cheap car with a bumper to bumper warranty for 6 years that I can beat the crap out of on a daily basis and will be paid for long before I stop having fun with it.

I'd love for more fun cars to come out in the below $35k range because that's where the value is. I enjoy driving the Cayman but don't want to daily it, so even if a GTI is less fun per mile, I will get a ton of enjoyment out of running it every day. I have always been addicted to the Automags since I was 15, but I get them now and see all of the $70,000+ to several hundred thousand dollar cars and I don't even read those articles anymore. What do I care what a Pista or new Pagani can do? I will never own one. Too many unicorns and not enough Miatas. 718's are great cars, but you get so close to $100k with options it is just stupid. Do I love my 981? Yes. Did I get as much satisfaction out of it for the money I spent as I thought I would? No. It is nice, but there are other things in life.

Last edited by vader1; 03-20-2018 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:22 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

After waiting a while and spending $60k on a car I really wanted for years, I can say, its alright. I love the car but don't drive it that much. I still have a hefty payment for another year. It was worth it in the fact that I will keep the car for a long time into the future, but really what I want now is a GTI. Not even an autobahn. It is a fun cheap car with a bumper to bumper warranty for 6 years that I can beat the crap out of on a daily basis and will be paid for long before I stop having fun with it.

I'd love for more fun cars to come out in the below $35k range because that's where the value is. I enjoy driving the Cayman but don't want to daily it, so even if a GTI is less fun per mile, I will get a ton of enjoyment out of running it every day. I have always been addicted to the Automags since I was 15, but I get them now and see all of the $70,000+ to several hundred thousand dollar cars and I don't even read those articles anymore. What do I care what a Pista or new Pagani can do? I will never own one. Too many unicorns and not enough Miatas. 718's are great cars, but you get so close to $100k with options it is just stupid. Do I love my 981? Yes. Did I get as much satisfactions out of it for the money I spent? No. It is nice, but there are other things in life.
So much truth in what you said. I also took the plunge and bought a car I've wanted. The payments as it turns out really didn't impact my lifestyle but money spent is still money not saved or repurposed. I love the car, but it's definitely a diminishing rate of return the more you pay.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:11 AM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

I'd love for more fun cars to come out in the below $35k range because that's where the value is. I enjoy driving the Cayman but don't want to daily it, so even if a GTI is less fun per mile, I will get a ton of enjoyment out of running it every day. I have always been addicted to the Automags since I was 15, but I get them now and see all of the $70,000+ to several hundred thousand dollar cars and I don't even read those articles anymore. What do I care what a Pista or new Pagani can do? I will never own one. Too many unicorns and not enough Miatas. 718's are great cars, but you get so close to $100k with options it is just stupid. Do I love my 981? Yes. Did I get as much satisfaction out of it for the money I spent as I thought I would? No. It is nice, but there are other things in life.
This is why I doubt I'll ever replace my S2000. All the options I want are extremely expensive and potentially won't be more fun to use day to day.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4