Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

718 GT4

Old 03-20-2018, 10:28 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
So much truth in what you said. I also took the plunge and bought a car I've wanted. The payments as it turns out really didn't impact my lifestyle but money spent is still money not saved or repurposed. I love the car, but it's definitely a diminishing rate of return the more you pay.
I'm saving to spend quite a bit on a car I really want in about 4 years, but I plan on buying something used that will hold almost all of its value. I personally can't fathom paying a bunch of money on a new car knowing that it's going to depreciate like a rock and I'll have to start over at whatever it's worth in a few years.

S2000 is a great example of this. Buy it, enjoy it, sell it for pretty much what you paid.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:29 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
After waiting a while and spending $60k on a car I really wanted for years, I can say, its alright. I love the car but don't drive it that much. I still have a hefty payment for another year. It was worth it in the fact that I will keep the car for a long time into the future, but really what I want now is a GTI. Not even an autobahn. It is a fun cheap car with a bumper to bumper warranty for 6 years that I can beat the crap out of on a daily basis and will be paid for long before I stop having fun with it.

I'd love for more fun cars to come out in the below $35k range because that's where the value is. I enjoy driving the Cayman but don't want to daily it, so even if a GTI is less fun per mile, I will get a ton of enjoyment out of running it every day. I have always been addicted to the Automags since I was 15, but I get them now and see all of the $70,000+ to several hundred thousand dollar cars and I don't even read those articles anymore. What do I care what a Pista or new Pagani can do? I will never own one. Too many unicorns and not enough Miatas. 718's are great cars, but you get so close to $100k with options it is just stupid. Do I love my 981? Yes. Did I get as much satisfaction out of it for the money I spent as I thought I would? No. It is nice, but there are other things in life.
Truth!! I get more total enjoyment out of my 2016 Camaro SS as a daily driver than I do my other cars. Why? Because I drive it every day, I don't worry about it that much, it wasn't very expensive to buy, and I can flog the piss out of it and it just keeps coming back for more. Factor in the awesome sound from the performance exhaust, comfy ride with the mag shocks while still giving good car control, nice turn-in, feels fairly light on it's feet, nice shifting 8-speed auto banging the gears with a nice pop with a WOT upshift, heated/cooled seats, HUD, etc., it's a blast.

Definitely diminishing returns with more expensive cars and they are more compromised too most of the time.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:33 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

I thought the Camaro was your wife's daily? Did you steal it from her lol.

I put around 10,000 miles a year on my Cayman, and love every minute. Can't imagine it being a garage queen that only gets driven 2-3000 miles.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:40 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
I put around 10,000 miles a year on my Cayman, and love every minute. Can't imagine it being a garage queen that only gets driven 2-3000 miles.
Mine will be a garage queen for a few more years but I only drive 8,000 miles a year total. If I drove my Cayman full time during the 7 months a year we get "Cayman weather" I'd still be able to put only about 5,000 miles per year.
The following users liked this post:
WolfpackS2k (03-22-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 01:36 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Just a test mule. Before the current GT4 came out they also did testing of GT4 parts on standard Caymans.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:19 PM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Quite the discussion on rennlist.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:51 PM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
I thought the Camaro was your wife's daily? Did you steal it from her lol.

She stole the Lexus once we had the baby. I didn’t complain.

Yeah, a Cayman would be a blast for 10k Miles/yr!!
The following users liked this post:
WolfpackS2k (03-22-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 07:45 AM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Just a test mule. Before the current GT4 came out they also did testing of GT4 parts on standard Caymans.
That was my thought as well. A "handling" test mule wouldn't necessarily get the gt motor.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:22 PM

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings
the pops and burbles sound a bit too artificial and consistently "programmed" the way they do on the that other video that adut posted of the Focus RS.

Oh well. Shy of a BRZ/FRS/FT-86/ND-mx5, I can't afford any "newish" sports car, so, I don't have any problems. It's so much easier when you're "poor." Your options become so limited that choice is an imaginary concept and no one gives a shit whether or not you care.
there are good cayman/Boxsters cheaper than new 86 or NDs.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:41 PM

Received 559 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by ChiHonda

there are good cayman/Boxsters cheaper than new 86 or NDs.

Running and maintenance costs are also a factor. I want to track the car and be able to afford doing ~10x HPDE days per year. Included in those costs are maintenance and "unexpected" repairs - like losing a motor. I'm looking at probably $3k to $5k versus $15k to $20k+ for such a scenario.

Also, I'd buy a used 86 or ND, which makes that a moot point.

The limits of sports cars both in terms of power and handling are such that it's impossible to safely and responsibly approach and explore the limits on public roads. Even used sports cars in the $40k range have limits that far exceed what is approachable on public roads. I drove my brother's modified 996TT and found it to be too much for me on public roads. I would have loved to have driven the thing on track, and I'm sure it would have been awesome, but there is no way I could afford to do that 10x a year. I can only imagine how newer super cars like GT350R, GT3s, GT4s, Z28, LT1, GTRs, etc. etc. might possibly be underwhelming on public roads if driven within the confines of what would be consider "safe" and "responsible."

Quick Reply: 718 GT4