Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Acura Integra Type R

Old 12-06-2012, 12:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Acura Integra Type R

Here's my situation. I've gotten a bit less interested in cars as a whole, and more interested in a certain type of car - raw, superb handling, high revving, lightweight sports cars (both old and new, often Japanese). Cars like Integra Type R, S2000, NSX, AE86 Corolla, Datsun/Nissan Z cars, e30 M3, GT3, GT3 RS, Ferrari Challenge cars, etc... "driver's cars" I guess.

I currently have a mildly modded, mint AP1 that I'm never selling, along with a 96' Jeep Cherokee for utility, poor weather, etc. I basically split time between the two. My wife has an 04' Accord too. They're all paid off. When I can comfortably afford a Type R (have pets, going to have a kid in a year or two... sort of need another promotion/new job first), I think I'm going to buy one and split time with the S2K and Jeep.

So, it's been a long time since I've been in a Type R, and I've actually never driven one. However, I still view them as rare, semi special, driver's cars... sort of the little brother to the NSX and S2K. I've done plenty of research, including reading old posts on this site, but wanted some fresh, recent opinions from fellow S2K owners to sort of push me over the edge to buy one (or maybe not).

Are Type Rs that enjoyable to drive? Are they even more raw than S2Ks? Do you think they're definitely worth $10-$12K? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would just spend the money modding your AP1. Do a lot of handling upgrades, and you'll love it even more!!! And of course power adders too!!

I can't say i've ever driven a type R, but I doubt it'll be as fun as an S2000. They only thing I can relate to for a Type R, is that my 92 civic has a JDM B18c Type R motor in it. Trottle response in my civic is way better then my s2000, but then again, my S2000 is supercharged and much faster, and handles better, and looks better...etc

My civic is my DD though. Although I'm sure the Type R would be a gem to have still.

Just my opinion.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:14 PM

I've owned one. The car will stress you out if you leave it out of your sight for even a minute.

Theft on these cars are ridiculous. Thieves do some really extreme stuff to take it from you; follow you home, find out when you leave to work, break into your garage, throw the car on a trailer and... you get the point.

If you're gonna own one, bring a fire arm.

I'm not even joking
Old 12-06-2012, 03:30 PM

I don't get the whole Intergra thing. Stick with an S.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by closetgeek
I've owned one. The car will stress you out if you leave it out of your sight for even a minute.

Theft on these cars are ridiculous. Thieves do some really extreme stuff to take it from you; follow you home, find out when you leave to work, break into your garage, throw the car on a trailer and... you get the point.

I'm not even joking
yeah, ive had a friend that got his entire type-r stripped.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:10 PM

A type R is a very good light handling car. But for the price a 8th Civic Si will be a better choice. Not that exclusive but it will offer more power and handling without having to look over your shoulder every time you park it outside
Old 12-06-2012, 04:15 PM

Test drove one before S2K and not sure what all the hype is about -- I find the S2K so much more enjoyable.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im assuming Type-R's are extremely easy to steal
Old 12-06-2012, 04:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

closetgeek, I know all about the theft. Damn thieves. But what about the driving experience?
Old 12-06-2012, 05:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by closetgeek

I'm not even joking
+1. One of the reasons why I let it go.

Quick Reply: Acura Integra Type R