Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Acura Integra Type R

Old 12-06-2012, 05:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lcuky
Im assuming Type-R's are extremely easy to steal
Integras in general are easy to steal. An ITR is a gold mine for a ricer.

Stick with/mod the S.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No one really answered your question so I will:

They are great driving cars. Just about the only FWD car next to a Mini I'd ever consider owning.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:26 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

DC2-R's are great cars. There is a reason why they are still legendary and considered among the best FWD cars ever. yes they are enjoyable to drive, the car is light (especially if you strip it out) with very decent power to weight. Good old Vtec kicks hard, unlike the variable I-Vtec of nowadays. The LSD and various other chassis goodies make it a great track car....but i'm sure you know all of this already.

As far as comparing the enjoyment to an S2000, it really depends on your attitude. It has less power and is FWD, which could be good or bad depending on how you look at it. A lot of ITR owners use that as something to be proud of when they suspension tune their car to be faster around a track than some s2000's. Having that said, with equal mods and drivers, an s2000 will likely be faster around the track.

As far as a 'raw' feel, i'd say the two cars are very similar.

In the end, i don't think the ITR is worth what they are going for. As you said, they go for $10-12K, even higher in some cases. You can get a decent early MY S2000 for that price--might have higher mileage, but it's still got a reliable Honda engine, with more power, RWD, HIDs, and way lower theft risk. The only reason to get the ITR IMO, would be to own a part of history and for the prestige, if you will. If they were $2-4K cheaper and not such a theft risk, it would be a no brainer. Unfortunately, they are still pricey and theft magnets. Every ITR owner i know is extremely paranoid about where they drive and park their car. They lose sleep over it, in fact, because they have nightmares of their cars being stolen and stripped (no joke, many of them have these nightmares). That would take a chunk of the enjoyment out of owning one for me.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
DC2-R's are great cars. There is a reason why they are still legendary and considered among the best FWD cars ever. yes they are enjoyable to drive, the car is light (especially if you strip it out) with very decent power to weight. Good old Vtec kicks hard, unlike the variable I-Vtec of nowadays. The LSD and various other chassis goodies make it a great track car....but i'm sure you know all of this already.

As far as comparing the enjoyment to an S2000, it really depends on your attitude. It has less power and is FWD, which could be good or bad depending on how you look at it. A lot of ITR owners use that as something to be proud of when they suspension tune their car to be faster around a track than some s2000's. Having that said, with equal mods and drivers, an s2000 will likely be faster around the track.

As far as a 'raw' feel, i'd say the two cars are very similar.

In the end, i don't think the ITR is worth what they are going for. As you said, they go for $10-12K, even higher in some cases. You can get a decent early MY S2000 for that price--might have higher mileage, but it's still got a reliable Honda engine, with more power, RWD, HIDs, and way lower theft risk. The only reason to get the ITR IMO, would be to own a part of history and for the prestige, if you will. If they were $2-4K cheaper and not such a theft risk, it would be a no brainer. Unfortunately, they are still pricey and theft magnets. Every ITR owner i know is extremely paranoid about where they drive and park their car. They lose sleep over it, in fact, because they have nightmares of their cars being stolen and stripped (no joke, many of them have these nightmares). That would take a chunk of the enjoyment out of owning one for me.
This sounds extremely stressful
Old 12-06-2012, 09:05 PM

I think the ITR also has an appeal because it was the only Type-R to make it here to the states. It probably is a must-have for any die hard Honda fan.

I hear ITR's are a blast to drive as far as FWD cars go. Sure, cars like the new Civic Si and the Mazdaspeed 3 will be faster, but not many offer the same experience a ITR does.

I know if I owned one, it would never leave the garage.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:07 PM

^^^^ITR's get stolen out of garages all the time!
Old 12-06-2012, 09:23 PM

I really wonder if someone would actually risk breaking into my home, opening up my garage door (which makes a ton of noise) triggering my house alarm (yapping dog that never shuts up), starting up my car, and stealing it.

Seems like a very big risk for a car worth $10,000. Shocking.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:37 PM

usually the ITRs aren't stock and when parted out, they are worth much more than 10K. The ITRs that go for 10K on autotrader are usually only mildly modded or stock.

As for Parts: Stock B18C5's go for $3500-4k easy, if they have a K swap, $5k easy, volk wheels 1500-$2k, a lot have front end conversions $1500, Recaro seats $800-1200, etc. The problem is twofold: 1) Many parts are interchangeable between other popular honda chassis (so more demand) and thusly 2)there are tons of people who buy and sell these parts every day that unloading stolen parts is very quick and easy to do.

Because it's so easy to steal and sell these parts, it's a thief's dream. Go to Team-integra.net and Honda-tech and browse the civic and integra forums and you'll find tons of "my car was stolen" car threads.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:26 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the responses. Like I said, I'm well aware of the theft issue, which is frustrating. Beyond that though, I'm more interested in the driving dynamics and experience like some of you guys discussed. Still leaning towards owning one, but will probably need a test drive for confirmation. I expect it to be similar, yet different than the S2K, for obvious reasons... if that makes sense.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:02 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I think ITRs have a halo around them because they are the "ultimate Civic", and the crowd that worships them, which has a reputation for theft and badging plebeian Civics, all want one, or at least a car that looks like one.

Do I think theft is as big an issue as people make it out to be? Who knows - seems like most theft is in Cali, Florida, or major cities, same as S2k theft and seat theft. If you are not in a trouble area I wouldn't worry about theft that much. For the money however, I think I'd look at a different car - there are plenty of great cars in that price range that don't carry the stigma or the target the Type R does. I don't see the value or fun in buying a fwd sporty car when I could buy a rwd sports car, especially some of the contemporary hatchbacks that were available.

Quick Reply: Acura Integra Type R