Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Acura Integra Type R

Old 12-12-2012, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now I would get Civic FD2 Type R with no question if USA had them. 4 Door, awesome power and looks great.

I lived in Japan for 3 years and I know it first hand!!

Old 12-12-2012, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Young_R
Now I would get Civic FD2 Type R with no question if USA had them. 4 Door, awesome power and looks great.

x2

That along with the Japan only 2002+ Integra Type R are my favourite Hondas after the NSX and S2000.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:04 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacques79
Originally Posted by Young_R' timestamp='1355368417' post='22207196

x2

That along with the Japan only 2002+ Integra Type R are my favourite Hondas after the NSX and S2000.
+3
Old 12-13-2012, 06:46 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by fishfryer
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1355172823' post='22201607
For those that are saying it's underpowered, don't forget that it had 200 hp and it weighed less than 2600 lbs. NOTHING out there right now comes close to that power with that weight. ......
. It's plenty quick, very raw and very direct. ...
.. a crazy top-end rush. Loads of fun, if not particularly easy to drive at lower speeds (especially if you wanted to go fast).
I never said it was fast. I never said it had a ton of speed. I said "Compare it to other cars based on PTW, not outright power."

Power-to-weight, without stating the absolute lbs/hp, only gives a comparison point between two vehicles and how they'll probably accelerate. Since I didn't list the actual power-to-weight ratio of the Type-R, it is incorrect to assume (in any form or fashion) that I was trying to make a statement of absolute speed or acceleration. It was purely for comparative purposes to modern cars with more power (but much more weight). If you read my entire post, you'd see that but instead, you got stuck at PTW, typed up a reply and now you can't let it go.

Please, stop while you're behind. You made an inference on a point I wasn't arguing and never made.
OK let's recap, You inferred, I comprehended, you insulted me, I proved my point, you pouted and stomped your little feet like a chick.

Now I'll let it go.

/thread.
And I stand by my point - it's plenty quick compared to the cars I'd just mentioned in that post (which is the part you conveniently forgot to quote). It's as quick as most hot hatches built today while offering a much more enjoyable driving experience. It does have a crazy top-end rush - anyone that's driven those cars knows how hard the VTEC hit is. Honda really built that motor with a Jekyll-Hyde personality.

So yeah, keep trying.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:50 AM

DC2 Integra Type R's are sweet but not as sweet as a K20z3 motor in a EG/EJ/DC2/EK. You can have Type R steering rack put into either and get that manual, ITR rack feel. Not to mention you can still keep AC if you want it. Not to mention peg 13s with 205 street tires.. . I used to have a 95 civic with a K20a2. pulled a 13.3s 1/4 with a 2.15 60 foot on Hankook RS2 205/45/16 tires. 2450 with driver and fuel. 210whp/160trq and WAY faster than my S2000. With not that much work, LS1 vette fast around a road course in the straights and in the turns.. .

I've owned a 2008 Civic Si coupe. Stripped, that car would be a lot of fun for sure with a wavetrac diff and high end suspension. I beat up on lots of nice cars with it durring AutoX with minimal mods. It's not an ITR though for sure without significantly more money into bolt ons b/c of the weight. Weight is so premium for AutoX but the 8th gen civic can fit/tuck 255s with the right suspension mods and wheels offsets.

I drove a JCW mini the other day. Car flat out handles with minimal mods. WOW. Feels so good.

The S2000 is a pure drivers car. IMO, build a second one OR build/buy a K20Z3 EG/EK civic and put a quiet exhaust on it to keep it low-key. Get it ensured for a higher value. Type Rs are not magic but dissapear like they are!
Old 12-14-2012, 07:12 PM

Here's your problem, you're on an s2k forum asking about an ITR, so of course everyone is going to be biased and compare the two and say the s2k is nothing. Go to an ITR forum and you'll get the same thing. Here's my take on it as an owner of both at the moment. ITR > S2000. Sure an s2000 can be had cheaper, but it doesn't have the rarity (partial reason ITR's still fetch a nice price tag generally over $14k), parts are more expensive for an s2000, and for me doesn't have the same thrill. Granted my ITR is heavily modified and it's my track whore, but I get more satisfaction out of driving it when I take it out than my s2000.

Many ITR owners I know have sold and bought s2000s, evos, wrxs, or m3's and the majority of them sell and come back to the itr. I had an older gentleman come up to me at the track once to check it out because he couldn't believe how fast I was around track (and this was when it was still bolt ons). And don't get me wrong I love my s2000, but it's not the same for me.

Theft is a very real problem with ITR's. Forget letting it sit outside, going to malls or movies with it. It will also garner a lot of attention from younger kids and people who know what it is.

You can't compare it to civics or other trim integras because it's not the same. The chassis isn't the same. The appeal isn't the same. The "it" factor isn't the same. People can sit here and hate on it for whatever reasons, but until you've really driven one and run it up to redline hearing the car scream, then slamming on the brakes and turning in to getting right back on the gas full throttle and then while you exit that turn at full throttle you get the point by from *insert expensive sports car here* on the next straight; you'll never understand.

So basically just go test drive one and research it and decide for yourself.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLacK FirE
Here's your problem, you're on an s2k forum asking about an ITR, so of course everyone is going to be biased and compare the two and say the s2k is nothing. Go to an ITR forum and you'll get the same thing. Here's my take on it as an owner of both at the moment. ITR > S2000. Sure an s2000 can be had cheaper, but it doesn't have the rarity (partial reason ITR's still fetch a nice price tag generally over $14k), parts are more expensive for an s2000, and for me doesn't have the same thrill. Granted my ITR is heavily modified and it's my track whore, but I get more satisfaction out of driving it when I take it out than my s2000.

Many ITR owners I know have sold and bought s2000s, evos, wrxs, or m3's and the majority of them sell and come back to the itr. I had an older gentleman come up to me at the track once to check it out because he couldn't believe how fast I was around track (and this was when it was still bolt ons). And don't get me wrong I love my s2000, but it's not the same for me.

Theft is a very real problem with ITR's. Forget letting it sit outside, going to malls or movies with it. It will also garner a lot of attention from younger kids and people who know what it is.

You can't compare it to civics or other trim integras because it's not the same. The chassis isn't the same. The appeal isn't the same. The "it" factor isn't the same. People can sit here and hate on it for whatever reasons, but until you've really driven one and run it up to redline hearing the car scream, then slamming on the brakes and turning in to getting right back on the gas full throttle and then while you exit that turn at full throttle you get the point by from *insert expensive sports car here* on the next straight; you'll never understand.

So basically just go test drive one and research it and decide for yourself.
I honestly don't know what to say to this post. I realize the ITR is considered one of the best, if not the absolute best, FWD platforms in existence, but it's still FWD. And it always will be. I will probably never own a FWD car in my lifetime due to the clear limitations and handling character.

Every time I read about the ITR on a Honda board I just think it's brand fanboyism at its most potent--this isn't directed at any one person and it's not necessarily meant to offend...I just can't fathom such a platform garnering praise to the point of saying a car that is inferior in so many ways to an S2000 is still somehow better. But I guess opinions are opinions.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Syn
I honestly don't know what to say to this post. I realize the ITR is considered one of the best, if not the absolute best, FWD platforms in existence, but it's still FWD. And it always will be. I will probably never own a FWD car in my lifetime due to the clear limitations and handling character.

Every time I read about the ITR on a Honda board I just think it's brand fanboyism at its most potent--this isn't directed at any one person and it's not necessarily meant to offend...I just can't fathom such a platform garnering praise to the point of saying a car that is inferior in so many ways to an S2000 is still somehow better. But I guess opinions are opinions.

As this thread proves, better is a subjective term. We could sit hear and argue power to weight, 1/4mi times, braking distances, ITR is better in this category, s2000 better in that blah blah blah, but just because you find the s2000 better doesn't mean Mr. Jon Doe down the block is going to find it better when he needs something to get 35+ mpg and four doors to haul his kids around. Like I said, it's hard to understand if you've never driven one. FWD/AWD/RWD it doesn't matter. For the majority of people on this forum the only clear limitations are those from the driver not the car.

BTW forgot to put in my original post that the older man at the track was driving an ap1. So who knows though, once I get my s2000 on the track I could totally change my opinion. But I doubt it
Old 12-14-2012, 10:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After the last couple of posts I had to chime in.
I have never understood the excitement over the Type R Teg. The U.S. version has always been unattractive to me, but I've always loved the EG. Dropping a Type R power plant into to my hatch has always been something I wanted to do, and after reading Berny's post why would you buy a Type R anyway? Different strokes I guess... a sleeper hatch to go with the S!
Old 12-15-2012, 04:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BLacK FirE
Originally Posted by Syn' timestamp='1355548426' post='22211955

As this thread proves, better is a subjective term. We could sit hear and argue power to weight, 1/4mi times, braking distances, ITR is better in this category, s2000 better in that blah blah blah, but just because you find the s2000 better doesn't mean Mr. Jon Doe down the block is going to find it better when he needs something to get 35+ mpg and four doors to haul his kids around. Like I said, it's hard to understand if you've never driven one. FWD/AWD/RWD it doesn't matter. For the majority of people on this forum the only clear limitations are those from the driver not the car.

BTW forgot to put in my original post that the older man at the track was driving an ap1. So who knows though, once I get my s2000 on the track I could totally change my opinion. But I doubt it
Before we start comparing against the S2000, let's see how the Type-R holds up to the BR-Z/FR-S.

Let's not forget, members have had their S2000's weighed and quite a few saw figures around 2750ish. Also Ap2's are putting out 162 lb-ft of torque versus 130 lb-ft in the Type-R. Honda should have bumped the horsepower figures to 250 HP when the Ap2 was released.

Quick Reply: Acura Integra Type R