Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Acura RSX Type-S?

Old 01-17-2004, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acura RSX Type-S?

Hey, I'm relatively new here but I have been viewing the s2ki boards for quite awhile now. I was thinking of first getting a honda s2000 but now I'm thinking of getting an RSX because of the extra passenger space. The s2k seems like a really nice car but it might be a bit impractical for me . I was wondering if any of you have had an RSX Type-S or have test driven one. How does the ride feel? Did you like the car? Is it worth it? I don't have the time to test drive the car for now and I am just curious as to whether this is the right car for me. I should be able to test drive it in about a few months if time permits. Thanks a lot, I hope to own a honda s2000 another day!
Old 01-17-2004, 09:26 PM

It's not a bad car. It's a good but basic sporty coupe. The only problem I have with the car is that it steers REALLY slow, the vtec duration is short (vtec doesn't happen in 2nd til 50+mph), and the car is kind of loud (road and wind noise) for a $24,000 car.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:12 PM
Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I traded a black Type S in for my 04 S about 2 months ago. The Type S is a great car and very practical. It is quick and handles great. My only complaint was the stock tires. If you get one, change them as quick as you can and you will enjoy the car so much more. My favorite thing about the Type S was that I could hold 4 people with performance and style or with the back seats down, it was like a small truck and came in handy through two moves and hauling things between Houston and Austin.

As for the S, it is my favorite car that I ever had (Type S, GRS and Prelude SI). You cant beat the handling and response with anything under $50K. I enjoy every trip to the gym, work, grocery store or Houston. I have a smile on my face every time I get into car. The S is my therapy of clients pissing my off or fights with my family and friends. Of course that it is not practical, every trip to the airport is an effort to get luggage in and out of the car and I can never haul around more than 1 friend. But it was a trade off that I made and I do not regret.

Either way, both cars have amazing value. You have to ask yourself what you want?
Old 01-17-2004, 10:20 PM

Thanks for the response guys. I'm not sure what I want right now. I'm kind of conflicted between the S2k and the rsx. One side of me wants to get the pure sports car, I've always loved a convertible, the feeling of the air and nothing above you is just incredible. But the other side of me thinks the rsx would be helpful when i need to transport friends to other places. I'll have to think about it. Anyone else have any reviews on the rsx type-s?
Old 01-17-2004, 11:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my feeling is that if you have any doubts of the s2000 right now, then you will definitely not be completely happy with it if you owned it. the s2000 is one of those cars that you either hate or love. if you are able to afford the price of a new s2000, but want some practicality, maybe you should consider a g35 coupe or maybe an rx8. imo, those two cars will give you the better of both worlds than an rsx-s would. whatever you do, don't get an s2000 unless you are absolutely possitive that is the car you want. otherwise, you'll end up getting rid of it after a short period and will lose lots of money on it.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I absoutely love the RSX interior. It feels nice and sporty with all those creature comforts that you will need for every day driving. It can be made quick on the twisties and the straights. Let Hondata flash your ecu and your looking at some nice power gains.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:38 PM

Drove it, loved it, buying it. It is the first Honda product in many years (other than the S2K) that speaks to the soul. It captured all of the best from the '88 and '90 Prelude Si, the '91 Integra, and the '00 Civic Si that I have owned in the past. It is not the best at doing one thing but it does everything close enough to the best that it gets the nod from me as a daily driver. You actually feel involved with the process when you drive it and not like you are just along for the ride. Some of the soul of the NSX and S2K must have leaked into it. There are faster cars in the price range and some would say better looking cars, but it should definitely be on anyones want list. A lot of people knock it, but if you approach it with an open mind you will find a practical, well equipped, sporty car that you can live with on a daily basis. Don't wait, take the time and drive it now. I chose it over the STi that I was in the process of purchasing to drive daily. That should tell you that there is something to this car.
Old 01-18-2004, 02:02 AM
Banned

I agree that if you want performance with a back seat, an RX8 or G35 coupe would be the way to go. That said, an RSX-S is really cute, IMO. And it handles great. It's a fun little car that can be made really quick with some basic bolt-ons, beginning with Hondata ECU.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya G35C is a good suggestion
Old 01-18-2004, 10:05 AM

my friend picked up a a brand new RSX Type S with 27 miles on it for $22k yesterday. if i had not bought the s2000, i would strongly consider it. it has the nicest interior IMO out of the s2k, 350z, g35, and typeS, yet performance-wise like stated above, it is not quite on par.

Quick Reply: Acura RSX Type-S?