Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Acura TL experiences?

Old 07-28-2006, 04:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by y2ks2k,Jul 27 2006, 11:28 PM
I wouldnt buy another TL myself. Just to many damn rattles and creakes and problems. It was probably the worst car I have ever owned as far as reliability.
Given your extensive (reliable) car list, that says alot. I'm really surprised, Acura quality in this model has suffered so much. I don't think I've spoken with a single satisfied owner. They ALL complain of rattles and creaks.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've spent quite a bit of time driving a new TL. When you compare the other cars near that price point it's really alot of car for the cash. But at the end of the day it really is just a fancy Accord. I think the G35 is a more rewarding car from a drivers perspective, if you are cross shopping them as used cars the prices should be prettty similiar.

I used to love the TL but after a few years of seeing it age, I'm really not much of a fan anymore.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:16 AM

My background: Mom has 6spd 04' TL, GF has 6spd 06' TSX. Have driven friends 6spd 05' G35 coupe.

I'd prefer to drive the TSX even though it's not nearly as fast in a straight-line. The TSX feels much smaller, more nimble, and faster reacting. This isn't to say the TL isn't a very nice drive, quite enjoyable infact. I haven't experienced any of the said problems associated with the TL as previously mentioned, so far so good. The TL is extremely comfortable, luxurious, and enjoyable to drive. I would, however, consider the TSX a better drivers car between the two.

G35 is a nice drive as well. I can't comment too much since my drive was very limited, however, the clutch did feel awefully heavy (he said he had it "adjusted" and don't know if this feeling was an effect to this adjustment). The shifter wasn't nearly as enjoyable as either the TL or the TSX. The power was on par with the TL, although the G35 felt quicker while the TL gives more of a rush to redline feel. Never got to hit a corner hard so can't comment on steering feel or grip. I can say the TL's steering is too "assisted". TSX steering is much more direct/sporty.

Tough choice between G35 vs. TL vs. TSX

It'll come down to personal preferences/factors, test drive em and let us know what you think.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:22 AM

I realized how easily your choice can be resolved:

2007/2008? G35

300+hp, refinement equal to, if not better than the TL... voila!
Old 07-28-2006, 08:58 AM

I own a 2002 TL-s, 90k miles. The only major problem was the transmission which was handled under warrenty at about 60k miles. The warrenty on the tranny is 100 k miles but I don't think that problem exists anymore. There have been a few minor problems that were handled at oil changes. My car still has essentially no rattles or squeaks and will deliver over 30mpg on the road and mid 20's around town.

I am surprised at all the people who complain about the car because it still seems to get good reliabilty ratings from JD Power and CR etc. Of course my experience wouldn't necessarily transfer to the new model.

I'll be replacing it this year and I'll look at competitors. But on paper the TL still looks like the best all around value for me.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:05 AM

[QUOTE=Suzukaboy,Jul 28 2006, 11:58 AM] I own a 2002 TL-s, 90k miles.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:33 AM

The 99-03 TL is actually the second gen. Made in America. Based on the 98-01 Accord Global Midsize Platform. Plagued with tranny problems, especially the Type-S variants.

The 04+TL is also based on the Accord Global Midsize Platform, albeit the updated 02+ Accord version.

The 96-98 TL is the first gen. Made in Japan. Based on the Vigor/Legend platform.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:23 AM

I read there is going to be a new type S with 300 HP. Is this ture?

Sam
Old 07-28-2006, 10:37 AM

Hmmm. Interesting discussion. Well, I won't argue that the TL is a gussied up Accord, but for me it was no contest. When I bought my wife an '05 TL 6MT Navi in November 2005, the Accord of the day had that crappy looking rear end treatment (since refreshed) which I absolutely could not stand.

I got the TL for ~$34K out the door, which is pretty good considering it was a Navi. My wife found out 2 weeks after we bought it that she was pregnant with our second child. Very quickly, it became a hassle for her to get the stroller in and out, etc. She asked to go back to the '99 Volvo V70 she was formerly driving, and of course I said, "OK." This left me with the TL as a DD and I couldn't have been MORE pleased with it.

Yes, I am apparently the one owner represented here that did not experience issues with my TL. (Except for the soccer mom beyotch that side-swiped me on I-95. Only cosmetic damage to right rear quarter and paint, but the car would never be totally 100% again...)

I had but two complaints with the TL, one more severe than the other:

First, and worst: FWD. Had I been shopping for a car for my own exclusive use when we purchased it, this fact would have probably kept me from buying the TL. But at the end of the day, I couldn't find anything else in the class that compared AND was offered in a MT. I'm not a huge fan of the G35 because of gripes with Infiniti interior materials....

Second: Fuel mileage. The TL is a hog on gas. Sure, it feels great while you're burning it... I always drive in a fairly spirited way (safely, of course), but even with relatively judicious application of the throttle, I was seeing an avg. MPG of 18 or 19. Note that this consists of around-town and stop and go interstate commute traffic conditions.

I had no problems with squeaks, rattles, carpet or leather. The tranny was really smooth and solid, albeit a bit longer throw than the S2000. The motor is rock-solid. I really enjoyed the power band of the TL and wish Honda could come up with a lighter version of that 3.2 for the S2000.

Of course, being FWD, there is considerable torque steer. Having grown up driving FWD cars, I know how to get the most out of them without trashing times or tires, and I made a game of getting the best spin-free launch. The car moves really nicely, especially at speed.

I found the handling to be tight, if a little soft. Great on the highway.

Ergonomics, interior touches, NAV system, radio, Bluetooth all tip-top!

But a few months ago, I decided to trade the TL for an Odyssey, because the 26 miles a day to work and back just didn't seem like enough justification for a $600 car payment. So the wife got a new Odyssey and she's happy as a clam. I had to go back to using the Volvo wagon as my DD, but it's paid for, hauls all my junk and makes those weekend drives in the S2000 all that much more enjoyable.

I personally hope to see the AWD system go to the TL soon. If they did a Type-S with the RL motor, even better. (RL and TL need to merge and Acura need a real full-size luxury sedan (READ: V8!!!).

Good luck along the way.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:47 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Just for comparison sake I would drive a Lex 350, and maybe even a Legacy GT.

The Legacy gets zero points for snob appeal but is an absolute blast for the money and a limited has a rather nice interior and awd as a bonus.

I've only been in TSX's a few times and never behind the wheel but I think they are underrated by too many people for not having nine million horsepower. Its a heck of a nice car.

Quick Reply: Acura TL experiences?