Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Add a Civic Type R or wait for something else?

Old 05-12-2019, 06:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went the GTI route for daily / people transporter that is still a blast to drive daily. You get a nice quality interior, super torquey engine, and a quiet road ride all in a fun easy timeless design. My only concern was reliability, which is why I opted for a 2018. From 2018 on they come with a 6 year full warranty. I picked up the base model S for right around $25k. Other than maybe the Civic Si, you can’t beat it. I keep my S2000 for the fun solo drives!
Old 05-12-2019, 06:37 PM

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,444 Posts

I've heard a couple CTR owners say that it has many similarities to their S2000, I can't see a single thing that would be similar to be honest. I like many things about both cars, but I can't see much similarity.

I was considering the CTR very recently for a daily driver, but I chose a WRX for the AWD platform. Having to drive it in winter conditions and sharing the car with my son I just thought the WRX would be a better daily driver. I wish I could have the WRX as a daily driver and the CTR as a weekend fun car. I also got rid of my 2016 Civic 1.5l turbo daily driver as I had no faith in the longevity of that motor due to terrible fuel dilution issues , I had the TSB performed on the Civic but it made absolutely no difference. Honda didn't get the development right on that motor, I don't know if the CTR's are going to have the same issue or not, but there could be a chance and I didn't want to jump back into that possibility. The WRX direct injected turbo setup is working much better than the Civic's DIT engine setup, they seem to have gotten through the early fuel dilution issues better compared to Honda.

The CTR is a great value, exterior design is a bit odd but everyone has their own opinion, I think the interior design is excellent. If it wasn't needed in winter conditions I would have given it more consideration, but I wanted to get away from FWD in our winter conditions in favour of AWD.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:18 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I've heard a couple CTR owners say that it has many similarities to their S2000, I can't see a single thing that would be similar to be honest. I like many things about both cars, but I can't see much similarity.

I was considering the CTR very recently for a daily driver, but I chose a WRX for the AWD platform. Having to drive it in winter conditions and sharing the car with my son I just thought the WRX would be a better daily driver. I wish I could have the WRX as a daily driver and the CTR as a weekend fun car. I also got rid of my 2016 Civic 1.5l turbo daily driver as I had no faith in the longevity of that motor due to terrible fuel dilution issues , I had the TSB performed on the Civic but it made absolutely no difference. Honda didn't get the development right on that motor, I don't know if the CTR's are going to have the same issue or not, but there could be a chance and I didn't want to jump back into that possibility. The WRX direct injected turbo setup is working much better than the Civic's DIT engine setup, they seem to have gotten through the early fuel dilution issues better compared to Honda.

The CTR is a great value, exterior design is a bit odd but everyone has their own opinion, I think the interior design is excellent. If it wasn't needed in winter conditions I would have given it more consideration, but I wanted to get away from FWD in our winter conditions in favour of AWD.
Have fun with some 20 year old Scooby doo problems, hope you have a warranty on that guy. "Head gasket, compression, and valve stem seal problems, It's what makes a Subraru, a Subaru"
Old 05-13-2019, 07:37 AM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

I have not gotten to drive a type R as of yet, but have rode along and instructed someone at an autox event in one. I cant say I could see or feel one ounce of similarity between one and the S2k though lol. Whoever said that has not done much but drive the S2k to the store and back as they are very different cars!

They do feel fun, and are not as "FWD with too much power" as I expected. Even with some not so smooth power deliveries from the driver it did pretty well at putting the power down, but felt totally different than a RWD roadster as to be expected.

The few I know with them seem to like them as daily drivers so far.

I wish they looked ......... good? Lol That is all personal preference but find that the longer I see them the less I like the looks. I think they tried way too hard to make it look like a ricer car from the factory, but again, that is all personal preference.

The main point is if it is worth the price you will have to pay for one. Hard to say you will enjoy it enough to warrant the price vs other options on the market. They should be very reliable of course so that is a plus.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff
Have fun with some 20 year old Scooby doo problems, hope you have a warranty on that guy. "Head gasket, compression, and valve stem seal problems, It's what makes a Subraru, a Subaru"
Oh, my Subaru salesman never said anything about those issues ?

Its been quite fun so far as a daily driver.. I haven't owned any new car for longer than 3-4 years in the last 25 years , so chances are I won't make it out of warranty on this one. I will definitely be out of it by the time the powertrain warranty is over. To be honest I never want to own a new turbocharged car once it is out of warranty regardless of the make, and a DIT engine is likely even worse.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by engifineer
I have not gotten to drive a type R as of yet, but have rode along and instructed someone at an autox event in one. I cant say I could see or feel one ounce of similarity between one and the S2k though lol. Whoever said that has not done much but drive the S2k to the store and back as they are very different cars!

They do feel fun, and are not as "FWD with too much power" as I expected. Even with some not so smooth power deliveries from the driver it did pretty well at putting the power down, but felt totally different than a RWD roadster as to be expected.

The few I know with them seem to like them as daily drivers so far.

I wish they looked ......... good? Lol That is all personal preference but find that the longer I see them the less I like the looks. I think they tried way too hard to make it look like a ricer car from the factory, but again, that is all personal preference.

The main point is if it is worth the price you will have to pay for one. Hard to say you will enjoy it enough to warrant the price vs other options on the market. They should be very reliable of course so that is a plus.
I could get used to most of the car, except the rear wing. I'd love to see an aftermarket company come out with a more subdued rear wing, I'd gladly give up some aero to get rid of the huge wing. If I was set on tracking it then the wing would remain in place.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:35 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I have driven my R for 8k miles and owned my s2k for the past 15 years. Yes the R is definitely no roadster but it gives you the same sense of passion and smiles as the s2k did for me. I have gone through several cars in the past from a Evo x, sti, and even a Ats-v. As far as a fun daily driver this car is hard to beat. It handles great, pretty fast from the factory, it’s bigger than a lot of suvs and has a very compliant ride. Yes there maybe other cars that may do things better or look better but at this price point it’s a very hard car to beat. My biggest gripe is that I wish they made the rear seats with better material as it does look cheap for a $35k car.
The following users liked this post:
InitialDougie (05-15-2019)