Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Adding to the garage.... again.

Old 06-18-2018, 04:51 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by EastS2k
hindsight bias mate,

the bottom back then could be a false bottom, you never known with cars, just buy em and drive em.
Naturally, but there are certain criteria that you can spot them. Of course all "investments" are subject to risk, etc, but a car that was sought after, generally lusted after, has mass appeal, and offers something unique, you have a recipe for a good collector car. After seeing what NSXs and Supras have done, it was an almost no brainer. The car first and foremost had exotic appeal- it's rare, has crazy proportions, and has an iconic look. It has the performance pedigree. What really makes cars hold their value is when you consider what can you guy that can do what this does? And this goes beyond performance because then everyone would just want corvettes. What other car has this kind of exotic appeal in the, at the time, high 20k mark? 30k? 40k? Etc. You could roll into a cars and coffee in a c6z, but be directed towards the general parking area, or roll in a first gen nsx or this viper and get pointed to the exotic area.
And lastly does it have a market where people will pay the money for it? Yes, the viper does.

What I did get wrong though was how wide that valley was going to be, so I literally watched the prices spiked and that was the end of that. Same sorta thing happened when I bought my place.

Anyway, enjoy it man, great pick up!
Old 06-18-2018, 06:21 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Iconic shape from my childhood I often forget about. Other cars that stand out to me is Rx7 and the NSX. All thanks for the original Need for Speed PC racing game.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:30 AM
Community Organizer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
What I did get wrong though was how wide that valley was going to be, so I literally watched the prices spiked and that was the end of that. Same sorta thing happened when I bought my place.

Anyway, enjoy it man, great pick up!
Thanks man, I always thought the Gen2 GTS's were the ones to have. With the exceptions of the new Gen5's prices reflect that. IMO none of the Viper's are as iconic as the Gen2 GTS's. Something about the way they look... they just got it right.

It's got unique looks, a unique engine, successful racing heritage and performance to be competitive with even current supercars.

Couldn't pass up having one.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by lane_viper
Thanks man, I always thought the Gen2 GTS's were the ones to have. With the exceptions of the new Gen5's prices reflect that. IMO none of the Viper's are as iconic as the Gen2 GTS's. Something about the way they look... they just got it right.

It's got unique looks, a unique engine, successful racing heritage and performance to be competitive with even current supercars.

Couldn't pass up having one.
Absolutely. Cars that people aspired to own with an iconic, exotic look that offers something that is still relevant today is going hold its value. The drivetrain has proven that with upkeep it can hold up, and that shape will always be a head turner. There was an arcade game called super gt, I loved that game more than Daytona, and I always drove the viper. Silver with blue stripes, hence why I was searching for one.

Most people when they think of viper they think gen 2 gts, and forget that there was a gen 1 roadster.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ironically, I just sold my Gen 2 viper and am buying a Gen V. I had my gen 2 GTS for 12 years and man did they go up in price since I bought mine.. incredible. Mine was silver.

These are absolutely an iconic look.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Anrosphynx
Ironically, I just sold my Gen 2 viper and am buying a Gen V. I had my gen 2 GTS for 12 years and man did they go up in price since I bought mine.. incredible. Mine was silver.

These are absolutely an iconic look.
I hate you... did it have blue stripes?
Old 06-25-2018, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
I hate you... did it have blue stripes?
nope. I always thought I wanted stripes until I had mine. Then I appreciated the solid color scheme.
Great car. Miss it.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Anrosphynx
nope. I always thought I wanted stripes until I had mine. Then I appreciated the solid color scheme.
Great car. Miss it.
I totally get that.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:07 AM
Community Organizer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

So 700 miles home from Virginia Beach was a good "introduction" to the Viper. Me and the wife sweated our butts off, but you couldn't take the smile off my face.

Car is not perfect, but I wanted to put my own self into it anyway. I will get the pleasure of fixing it the way I want it. Car drove perfect and gave us zero trouble on the way home. Best description of this thing I can say is it's 100% American. Sounds like a truck, shakes ridiculously at idle, and has over the top styling. It really surprised me how small the occupants area was, as it's the narrowest part of the car. I would say the S2000 is just a tad tighter, but it is laid out better than the Viper.

Looks like it's got a Corsa Cat back exhaust, because I can tell it's not stock. Doesn't bother me one bit, as I think they are close to $2K. Other than that, car seems completely stock.

There were very very few times I could really "get on it" with the wife in the car, as she really hates it. I know better to piss her off after just getting the dream car too, but you can feel the power there. Speed seems even more effortlessly than the Vette, and it never seems like you are going as fast as you are. 80mph feels like 45mph.

I'm still in disbelief it's sitting in the garage.

Already fixed the blue center caps, as I couldn't stand them. I will post more pics when I've had a chance to clean it up and get it looking pretty inside and out.

Last edited by lane_viper; 06-27-2018 at 11:17 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by lane_viper:
fusionchickenleg (07-25-2018), InitialDougie (07-17-2018), JonBoy (06-27-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 01:52 PM
Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Very nice pickup - so those cars are now under $30k?

DAMN would love to pickup a yellow one

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@euroboutique/videos
Follow-Us Instagram/Facebook: https://www.instagram.com/euroboutique/

Quick Reply: Adding to the garage.... again.