Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Aftermarket Stereos

Old 05-23-2017, 09:21 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Aftermarket Stereos

Is it just me or are they ridiculously over optioned? I just reluctantly replaced my 2004 CR-V factory stereo with a new Kenwood so I could have bluetooth. I really would rather keep the factory unit but I have no choice if I want bluetooth. So why can't the aftermarket brands just make a simple, classy looking stereo similar to factory without all the carnival lights and 10,000 audio adjustments. A simple one with bass and treble knobs that don't feel like they are going to fall off every time you touch them would be WONDERFUL. There used to be a Blaupunkdt model that looked kind of factory but Crutchfield didn't have it anymore. Just had to vent about my first world problem. Anyway, I can't be the only one who hates these new receivers. What do you think?
Old 05-23-2017, 01:16 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

blaupunkt? crutchfield? I too loved the 90s!
Old 05-23-2017, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by ealand0001
blaupunkt? crutchfield? I too loved the 90s!
Actually, they had a model called the New Jersey like 6 months ago. It was a double DIN model that looked almost factory.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

sony xav-ax100

Knobs for bass and treble are weird though... that's sort of an anachronism and I don't think you'll find it on anything mass market. The super high end single DIN head units are nice looking too but they're very expensive for what you get.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with WCVR-V, seems like manufacturers are competing to see how many "features you'll never use" they can add or how annoying they can make the front face. My first HU replacement (16 years ago) was a Sony, and the constantly blinking lights on the face of the head unit that you could never shut off made me tear it out after just a couple weeks. Haven't looked at a Sony since. I had a really annoying Kenwood for a while that had constantly-moving videos of dolphins on the front display, that didn't last long either. Been using Alpine for the last 10 years, no really annoying features and most of them integrate well with the DCI.

I too would like to have an easy-to use bass control but that would mean adding a rotating knob, but that's a mechanical part, which, as mentioned, is "so 90's". Actually, it's more like the 70's. It's much more modern to NOT be able to control the music you listen to.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Look for an old nakamichi deck and then add Bluetooth adapter through the aux input.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:04 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

The only thing that differentiates these radios is the dancing lights and digital controls. I'm not sure what use Bluetooth has in a car stereo especially in our cars where they're barely audible with all the wind and mechanical noises.

-- Chuck
Old 05-24-2017, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
The only thing that differentiates these radios is the dancing lights and digital controls. I'm not sure what use Bluetooth has in a car stereo especially in our cars where they're barely audible with all the wind and mechanical noises.

-- Chuck
This is in my CR-V. My S2000 is pretty audible with an amp and decent speakers. But, when driving hard the car has a better soundtrack.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:53 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

If you notice the market for them has shrunk massively. For the S2000 I went with a pioneer deck that didn't have a CD drive but iphone compatibility and bluetooth. It looks fairly clean but I do hear you on all the lights and BS. I like the audio options but when I have to mess with the light options and setting up everything else it is annoying. I will say in the S at least the quality of audio was better with the new deck at least.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:22 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I coudlnt agree more, I hate the look of new head units
Ive delayed so long upgrading the HU in my S and my 05 crv for this very reason
I went as far as modifying the alpine ktp amp harness to work with the factory head unit, but I think to get the results I want I will have to go after market unfortunately

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Stereos