Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Air cond STINK! any suggestions?

Old 07-09-2003, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air cond STINK! any suggestions?

I drive a Buick for work and while it has been a fine car for travel I have this issue with the air conditioner. When the air is first turned on there is a terrible stink for a couple of min and then it's fine. It will do this every time the car is parked for more than 10 min and the air is turned on .

The issue never comes up when operating the heat or vent settings . I have tried air freshners and recently removed all the vents and sprayed some bacterial eliminating air cleaner with no luck.

It makes no sence to me and the only thing I can think of is there might be something to do with the condenser causing the stink.

ANY suggestions?

TIA

Paul
Old 07-09-2003, 10:12 PM

Ask a dealer. That is a constant problem on BMWs and VWs. A Buick dealer could probably fix it for you. There is probably mold caused by moisture in the AC system.
Old 07-10-2003, 05:19 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Turn off the A/C a minute or so before you get to your destination, but leave the fan on, it will blow out any condensation in the vents and prevent mold/bacteria from stinking it up. Works great for me on all of the car's I've owned!
Old 07-10-2003, 05:21 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old mold. The way I eliminated it in the past is that every night I'd spray a liberal amount of Lysol into the vents and let it sit over night. It took about 2 weeks of constant spraying until I think I beat the mold.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:00 AM

Is there a way to take the vents apart so you can spray...or clean?
Old 07-10-2003, 07:34 AM

Thanks for the advise guys.

I think I'll give the Lysol idea a try and go from there. I have tried asking a dealer about it and they seem to shrug their shoulders..

I think maybe if I put an extension on the Lysol can (like you would find on a can of WD-40) and spray it in the vents without taking it all apart again.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:44 AM

In adition to the above suggestions, try leaving your ventilation setting on "fresh air" instead of "recirc". This can help dry things out when the car is parked.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:51 AM

Specialty automotive stores should carry an anitbacterial/disinfectant spray that you spray in the intake vent by the windsheild, this will pull the spray through the whole ventilation system and out of the vent in the cabin.

This worked well on my wife's car. Haven't had the problem with the S.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:05 AM

I have a product called Klima-Cleaner. 250 ml for $9.95. My order should be here next week. I can PM you when it comes in.

"Klima-Cleaner is a high-quality aqueous branded product which removes bacteria, fungi and other germs from airconditioning units without the need for disassembly. Together with its added odor neutralizers, its fungicical and bactericidal agents combine to produce an extremely mild recipe with a broad spectrum of activity and high substantivity which will not irritate the mucous membranes."
Old 07-10-2003, 08:46 AM

Nin009

Is this something you spray into the vents or do you do something else with it?

Quick Reply: Air cond STINK! any suggestions?