S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0 (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/alfa-romeo-giulia-2-0-a-1180668/)

cdelena 01-03-2018 01:18 PM

Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0

About time to replace wife's turbo Sonata but everything she has driven thus far has bored her as not being 'quick and nimble'. I have not taken her to drive the Alfa being worried she would fall in love and it might be a maintenance problem. It certainly has the size and configuration and sure gets good reviews.

Any experience here?

Justapickup 01-03-2018 01:42 PM

Highly recommended!!! Very nimble handling, for a 4 door sedan. Beautiful looks inside, and out. I really like the design, nothing like it out there. The emblem is so iconic, much history behind it. Too bad I only had it for a few months before a road hazard totalled it. I do wish it came with a manual trans.

Chuck S 01-03-2018 04:39 PM

I have not taken her to drive the Alfa
Can't your wife drive? I'm curious just what you have to do with any decision about her car.

France was crawling with Giulia's two summers ago. My wife thought I was ogling the women. Yeah, them too. ;)

-- Chuck

mosesbotbol 01-04-2018 04:38 AM

Alfa is solid and it's a new car. I would go for it. Rust was the biggest issue on Alfa's of old (not engine issues) and they are now no longer using cheap Russian steel like 30 years ago...

JonBoy 01-04-2018 06:36 AM

I believe every Giulia tested by journalists, except one, that I've read/watched, has had issues. I would run away. They look great but all signs point to them having (at best) a few teething issues.

Try a new Honda Accord 2.0T - it'll be practically as quick, well-built, comes with a manual or a 10AT, has easy dealer access and is supposed to drive quite well.

vader1 01-04-2018 07:21 AM

I drove one for about a 30 minute tester and prefer it to my 328i. It is on my list as a consideration for the next daily. A few of the magazines have had some issues with early models and most of the problems were electrical gremlins. According to Alfa, they had some software issues that they addressed and I have not seen any issues addressed by the magazines in subsequent tests. I would however go to a Giulia forum and see what are the common issues with the car if any after software updates.

I still wish they had a manual, but if my choices are cars that only offer an auto, I really liked the car. They are priced very competitively in the segment. But if you are worried longevity, you could always take the lease and check it out.

sam_spider 01-04-2018 10:17 AM

I bought a Giulia Ti Q4 back in October, currently has 5200 miles on it as we drove from here (MI) to Houston for Thanksgiving in it. We traded in our '14 Abarth cabrio for it. I've had a long list of cars/sedans over the years, IMHO it drives better than the 3 series and A4/S4 hands down. We've had some snow this year, and even with the 19" wheels and the Pirelli all seasons it's equally as good as my Audi's have been.

I put a Madness Lusso stainless exhaust on it about a week after I got it, so now it sounds the way I think it should've :D. I plan on doing ECU tuning in the very near future as well. I've had zero issues with it, no gremlins, or anything else.

:hello:

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...d1e41f08b8.jpg

mosesbotbol 01-05-2018 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by sam_spider (Post 24403263)
I bought a Giulia Ti Q4 back in October, currently has 5200 miles on it as we drove from here (MI) to Houston for Thanksgiving in it. We traded in our '14 Abarth cabrio for it. I've had a long list of cars/sedans over the years, IMHO it drives better than the 3 series and A4/S4 hands down. We've had some snow this year, and even with the 19" wheels and the Pirelli all seasons it's equally as good as my Audi's have been.

I put a Madness Lusso stainless exhaust on it about a week after I got it, so now it sounds the way I think it should've :D. I plan on doing ECU tuning in the very near future as well. I've had zero issues with it, no gremlins, or anything else.

:hello:

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...d1e41f08b8.jpg

Wow, that looks amazing! Midnight blue is a good choice and classic Alfa color.

Driven 01-05-2018 11:51 AM

I love mine...

http://www.thekam.com/images/cars/gi...Euro092017.jpg

Had for a week before it was lowered on the wheels.

Pros:
- Easily best looking sedan out right now
- 280hp has plenty of scoot. The SO took it to the drag strip and ran low 14s all day with a DA of 5360', and some mediocre launches:
- The interior looks fantastic
- Gearbox, despite being a slushbox, works really really well
- I tracked mine and the brakes never faded. Handles just as competently as a S2000. Gearbox always seemed to know the right gear to be in.
- Awesome steering feel
- Pretty good gas mileage, roughly +26mpg
- Back seats that fold down -- QV doesn't have this, for some dumb reason.
- Very comfortable and compliant ride, while also being a great handling car.

Cons:
- Traction control cannot be turned off. This is painfully noticeable at autocross, less so on track days
- Car yells and prevents you from doing a lot. Leave the car on with the keyfob, and the car chimes endlessly. Unbuckled seat belt... chime. Want to move the car with the door open, nope.
- Again, TC cannot be turned off. This. Kills. A lot. Of. Fun.
- Some minor Italian fit and finish issues... such as the tow cover doesn't like staying affixed.
- TC and stability cannot be turned off.... ARG! The QV can turn both off, which almost makes the QV worth the extra $35k over the 2.0T

cdelena 01-05-2018 12:16 PM

Most entertaining sedan available from my test drives. BTW, fixed rear seats are not uncommon on high performance models as extra lateral support is desired.

I am thinking of waiting for a better inventory of '18s rather than get the small discount on a '17. If nothing else the inclusion of phone play features is good and may help future resale.

Have yet to make a recent visit to the Cad dealer but with a target of 50K it may not be a good choice for us.