Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0

Old 01-05-2018, 05:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Alfa is solid and it's a new car. I would go for it. Rust was the biggest issue on Alfa's of old (not engine issues) and they are now no longer using cheap Russian steel like 30 years ago...
I digress. I previously noted my brother's experience with an Alfa Spider when you recommended one to another poster in another thread. The car had no corrosion issues, it was simply an unreliable POS. Italian car's are mostly rubbish IMO, the exception being current Bugatti and Lambo which are essentially German auto's built in Italy (and not surprisingly the most reliable and best put together).
Old 01-05-2018, 05:13 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

I really like this car...but its missing one critical component. Let's play 20 questions.
I'll give you a hint. It's missing a pedal.

darcy
Old 01-06-2018, 05:40 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by LUV2REV
I digress. I previously noted my brother's experience with an Alfa Spider when you recommended one to another poster in another thread. The car had no corrosion issues, it was simply an unreliable POS. Italian car's are mostly rubbish IMO, the exception being current Bugatti and Lambo which are essentially German auto's built in Italy (and not surprisingly the most reliable and best put together).
I could say the same about our MB 500 SEC & 300D. All German cars must be rubbish.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am looking to replace the family car, still have the S2000 if I want to shift.

Of course reliability is a concern but early in a model run it is just a guess, and in the first year there have not been any negative trends with the Alfa. I was told I was looking for trouble when I bought the Sonata turbo but in seven years it has been the most reliable car I have ever purchased, the only one of over a dozen that has been fully trouble free.

Still shopping but the two top candidates right now is the Alfa and the Audi A5 Sportback.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:18 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I really like the car, but I think it will be a better buy at 3 years old rather then new.

Another consideration may be this:

Old 01-08-2018, 09:00 AM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by cdelena
Of course reliability is a concern but early in a model run it is just a guess, and in the first year there have not been any negative trends with the Alfa.
The 2.0T are pretty trouble-free. The QV, otoh, were plagued with problems, initially.

I'd expect reliability to be on par with your other german/british luxury sedans.

And you can still get good lease deals on a Giulia for like $350/mo for the base.
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (01-08-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 09:56 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
I really like the car, but I think it will be a better buy at 3 years old rather then new.

The XE is a nice car (I lease a top spec 3.5T R Sport). The car is a rocket ship! Nice steering feel and well composed in cornering. I know someone with both the XE and F-Type and he says the XE is a better handling car. That being said, I probably would've be the Giulia Q if it was available at the time I leased the XE. I still would love the Q, but the are too similar to have like the same car twice in the garage... I think it is better the buy the Alfa now while it is still fresh and not everyone has one. 3 years if they are successful should see a lot more Alfa's on the road. Dealership are opening at a frenzied rate like they have for Maserati. I like the interior styling, brakes, and wheels on the Alfa over the Jag, but I would lean towards Jaguar making a better overall car.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:23 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT

A friend of mine in Arizona took me for a ride in his this last weekend. I loved it! Handled very well, tons of power, excellent grip, lots of composure on the back road we were driving. Great car.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After a full test it is clear that the Alpha does not have the interior room for us to replace the family car so it is off the list... but it is fun!

The A5 Sportback does not have sufficient rear head room so it is off the list.

The A4 was impressive so it is still on the list.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:21 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by cdelena
After a full test it is clear that the Alpha does not have the interior room for us to replace the family car so it is off the list... but it is fun!

The A5 Sportback does not have sufficient rear head room so it is off the list.

The A4 was impressive so it is still on the list.
Chris, we got our 328i specifically because it can comfortably fit full-size adults in the back seats. And we preferred how it drove over the A4. Have you looked at the BMWs any?

Quick Reply: Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0