Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

All motor or FI on a C6?

Old 11-28-2008, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All motor or FI on a C6?

I'm stuck at a crossroads with my car. It's an 06 LS2 Manual Z51 C6 all stock. The performance is great, yet at a 115mph trap, it's not enough for many cars I encounter. I got smoked by a civic hatch that had to trap around 125 (C6 Zo6 speeds)

I figure 500 rwhp is right where I wanna be at. At that power level, I hope to retain the use of my stock clutch, and I expect reliabilty and driveability to still be good being N/A. The sum of an H/C kit with LT headers is less than the Vortech kit and I feel 500 is good enough for a 130 trap and a high 10 sec on slicks.

The redesigned Vortech kit is suppose to be great and has made 600rwhp on 10psi (stock motor with tuning) There is also the APS TT kit for a bit more. As badass as a TT C6 would sound, I feel it's almost too much for a daily driver.

What would you do if $$$ wasn't a large concern?

Thx, Kevin
Old 11-28-2008, 01:32 PM

If you have the cash go for the APS TT setup. The quality and finish of the kit is incredible, almost looks as if it came that way from the factory. The base kit on 7psi should satisfy your power goals, and is upgradable if you decide to do more. If you decide on the centrifugal blower route, Id go procharger.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:07 PM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

If you have a great shop, a H/C package with LT's and exhaust isn't a bad way to go, but to get 500rwhp, the cam will be a bit choppy (sounds great, probably not perfect driveability). A turbo kit would be good, APS is awesome, just keep the boost down on a stock motor to keep from breaking something prematurely.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If $$$ isn't much of a concern, I'd trade it in for a ZR1. If it is, I'd stay NA, since aftermarket FI is rarely as well-engineered as OEM. I had a Vortech S/C on my old S2000, and ever since that nightmare I've fantasized about bombing their HQ w/ their crappy tech support people inside it.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:42 PM

TT.

or buy the zr1, take off the supercharger and slap on the TT kit to that one, since its built for boost.

imagine being in a vette....and having the spooling sound of a turbo! strike fear in the hearts of many

not to mention fi you stay off boost you;ll get good gas mileage...where as headers/cam will give you shitty gas mileage all over the place.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Chris S,Nov 28 2008, 11:30 PM
I had a Vortech S/C on my old S2000, and ever since that nightmare I've fantasized about bombing their HQ w/ their crappy tech support people inside it.

Vortech's kit on my Maxima (via Stillen) gave me an armful of troubles. Good thing I knew somebody who knew ways to work around its failures, without resorting to Vortech more than once. At the end of the day, I could say all the downtime spent was worth the gains on the street because it was my first boost experience and somewhat different, being on Maxima. But if I was expecting these issues beforehand, on a Corvette, I'd say go with a mild TT setup if the other drivetrain components and your driving ability support this.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:08 PM

If money wasn't a concern, I'd trade the car in for a ZR-1, but seeing as you're stuck between boosting it or remaining N/A, I'd go with N/A because there's something about knowing that your car is a lot faster than other cars on the road without a turbo spooling or a supercharger kicking in that makes it sound tempting.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by UmarS2K,Nov 28 2008, 04:08 PM
If money wasn't a concern, I'd trade the car in for a ZR-1, but seeing as you're stuck between boosting it or remaining N/A, I'd go with N/A because there's something about knowing that your car is a lot faster than other cars on the road without a turbo spooling or a supercharger kicking in that makes it sound tempting.
x2. FI can be a pain in the ass to maintain and you'll never get that smooth delivery back
Old 11-28-2008, 06:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Better off asking on the corvetteforum. Id keep it N/A.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:56 PM

If you plan to do road course work, stay NA. If you need 500 Rwhp na your cam would have to be huge on an lS2 unless you went with more cubes, which is a good option. You could start with a C5R block and go from there. It might not be a real friendly daily driver.
If you are only drag racing for short bursts and need stock drivability why not just do the Magnusen M122? You will easily have over 500rw a shit ton of torque and have very stock like drivability.

Quick Reply: All motor or FI on a C6?