Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Alternatives to another S2000?

Old 12-04-2017, 09:50 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by lookstoomuch
How about a C5? Never owned one but that's on my short list of post s2000 cars. Would be different enough but still decent handling.

You'd have to look at the awful GM interior.
I've wanted a C5 Z06 for track and they're great deals. However, right now I want something small and nimble, which the C5 isn't really.
Originally Posted by hecash
For the uses that you described, consider,
https://cars.oodle.com/mercedes_benz...bs=1&r=country
Ew, an SLK? Ew. Not widely regarded as a great sports car.
Originally Posted by Jah2000
I think my answer is Miata ND. Those will never become super rare (to find in good condition) nor too expensive.

Of course, Caymans/Boxters, Z Roadsters, Lotus, etc. are all awesome cars and maybe more similar to an S2k (if not, more better actually). But, honestly, those are much much more expensive (to both buy and maintain) and aren't nearly as reliable and simple as a Japanese car (Miata).
ND simply will depreciate way too fast for me. I hate losing money to depreciation - it's such a hidden expense. Even if I find an ND for low-$20s, the NCs that are 5 years older are worth like half that. Not worth losing ~$2k+ every year when I can get an S2k (or other bottomed-out options) which loses no value and is actually slowly appreciating. I wish the ND had come out like 5 years ago!

That has always been my problem with the Euro options - may be arguably better than the S2k in some areas, but not much/any better overall, and they simply have a lot more that goes wrong and at a higher price point. I drove my S2k hard for 3.5 years and had almost no problems whatsoever. Meanwhile I'm reading about M Roadsters and it seems like there are endless "Have you done _____ fix yet?" I really don't want to deal with that esp. on a car that I won't even be using that much. We'll see... test driving a high-mile Z3 MR in a couple of hours and will report back.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:13 AM

Received 107 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by white98ls
...when I can get an S2k (or other bottomed-out options) which loses no value and is actually slowly appreciating.
Exactly! It is appreciating (just like the Supra, RX7 FD and NSX are).... to the point we won't be able to get a good, clean one, at a fair price in 5-10+ years.

Don't get me wrong... I love love my S2k and want to keep it forever.

My point is... what will you do IF/WHEN you finally lose your S2k (crashed, stolen, etc.) and it's also 10-20 years from now? I really doubt you will pay $30-60k for an S2k.

Appreciating is not always good thing. Idk why people here are always so happy that S2k values are quickly appreciating (too quick imo, prolly from the hype train)...smh. All it means is that you will never own one again in 10+ years.

Last edited by Jah2000; 12-04-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:46 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VilleS2K
"Being seen in a Miata." Really? Who the heck cares what other people think?

Also, having experienced a few cars on your list, I think another S2000 is your best option. There's not a more engaging, rewarding sports car for the price... not even close. Maybe one with higher mileage that's been worn in a bit, which is still an awesome car.
Exactly. What an obtuse statement. Why bother looking at Miata's if you have this mind set ?
Old 12-04-2017, 12:55 PM

Just got back from test driving a stock Z3 M Roadster. It struck me as kind of the anti-S2000 when it comes to roadsters. Power all over the rev range and very low beltline were pretty fun. BUT... soggy stock suspension, slow and vague steering (S2k isn't known for great steering feel, but at least it's quick and direct), clutch has little feel.

To top it off, it reminded me of all the 2000-era problems my E39 M5 had, including some new ones like seats that shift forward and backward almost 1" on this one (common problem). Not to mention bigger issues like subframe tearing. It really made me love S2000s more - so quick, direct and precise in its responses, and with 70k mine looked and felt brand new and asked for nothing. We are a lucky bunch to own or have owned S2000s, they are great cars. Maybe I will get another after all.
Originally Posted by LUV2REV
Exactly. What an obtuse statement. Why bother looking at Miata's if you have this mind set ?
Ok, it was mostly a joke. It does have a bit of a girly image but more importantly, it looks okay but just not exciting to me (the MSM does improve this a little). The S2k has timeless, unique styling despite somewhat similar proportions, and I love how the Z3M/Z4M look. Even like the original Boxster's styling. The Miata lacks aggression, although nicely-modded ones improve upon that.
The following users liked this post:
georgewny (02-07-2018)
Old 12-04-2017, 01:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by white98ls
Just got back from test driving a stock Z3 M Roadster. It struck me as kind of the anti-S2000 when it comes to roadsters. Power all over the rev range and very low beltline were pretty fun. BUT... soggy stock suspension, slow and vague steering (S2k isn't known for great steering feel, but at least it's quick and direct), clutch has little feel.

To top it off, it reminded me of all the 2000-era problems my E39 M5 had, including some new ones like seats that shift forward and backward almost 1" on this one (common problem). Not to mention bigger issues like subframe tearing. It really made me love S2000s more - so quick, direct and precise in its responses, and with 70k mine looked and felt brand new and asked for nothing. We are a lucky bunch to own or have owned S2000s, they are great cars. Maybe I will get another after all.

Ok, it was mostly a joke. It does have a bit of a girly image but more importantly, it looks okay but just not exciting to me (the MSM does improve this a little). The S2k has timeless, unique styling despite somewhat similar proportions, and I love how the Z3M/Z4M look. Even like the original Boxster's styling. The Miata lacks aggression, although nicely-modded ones improve upon that.
The 'girly' analogy has long become old with the Miata, are you still on the bandwagon ? My wife drives my 04' X50 911 Turbo Cab more than I, does that make it girly ? She also drives my 16' GT350, girly ?

I must ask again, why are you even considering a Miata based on what you have said yourself ?
Old 12-04-2017, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by LUV2REV
The 'girly' analogy has long become old with the Miata, are you still on the bandwagon ? My wife drives my 04' X50 911 Turbo Cab more than I, does that make it girly ? She also drives my 16' GT350, girly ?

I must ask again, why are you even considering a Miata based on what you have said yourself ?
Ok, I just said it was mostly a joke, and what really bothers me more is it's a little boring/non-aggressive looking. As you said yourself, I'm still considering it, so obviously it's not a huge deal to me.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:39 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Jah2000
Exactly! It is appreciating (just like the Supra, RX7 FD and NSX are).... to the point we won't be able to get a good, clean one, at a fair price in 5-10+ years.

Don't get me wrong... I love love my S2k and want to keep it forever.

My point is... what will you do IF/WHEN you finally lose your S2k (crashed, stolen, etc.) and it's also 10-20 years from now? I really doubt you will pay $30-60k for an S2k.

Appreciating is not always good thing. Idk why people here are always so happy that S2k values are quickly appreciating (too quick imo, prolly from the hype train)...smh. All it means is that you will never own one again in 10+ years.
Redundancy it the key, better to have two or more than one in this case!
Old 12-04-2017, 09:58 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

I'd stay away from those bmws, they're just bit with the hassle unless owning a roundel is that important to you. The problem is that you've pigeon holed yourself into a niche that really only a higher powered s2000 can fill. The miata won't make you want to run out to get something you forgot in it just so you have an excuse to look at it, or is it something that your friends are going to want to talk about. The msm is a great car but the nb chassis compared to an s2000 on The street is just no comparison. The nc has no carb legal forced induction option but otherwise is a solid car, but then youre lacking the motor. The s2000 is the best value for an interesting car that has loads of personality.
For me the lack of torque became exhausting, more specifically is gearing relative to it's torque curve in first and second when driving in the street. This is where a car like the miata is better. Your desire for a drop top eliminated alot of great cats like a c5z or even a Z which is a better all around car. I bought a c5z after my last s and sold it because it was just too much too deal with driving around town in. Bought an frs which makes me not really miss the s2000 except for is 40 extra hp.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
I'd stay away from those bmws, they're just bit with the hassle unless owning a roundel is that important to you. The problem is that you've pigeon holed yourself into a niche that really only a higher powered s2000 can fill. The miata won't make you want to run out to get something you forgot in it just so you have an excuse to look at it, or is it something that your friends are going to want to talk about. The msm is a great car but the nb chassis compared to an s2000 on The street is just no comparison. The nc has no carb legal forced induction option but otherwise is a solid car, but then youre lacking the motor. The s2000 is the best value for an interesting car that has loads of personality.
For me the lack of torque became exhausting, more specifically is gearing relative to it's torque curve in first and second when driving in the street. This is where a car like the miata is better. Your desire for a drop top eliminated alot of great cats like a c5z or even a Z which is a better all around car. I bought a c5z after my last s and sold it because it was just too much too deal with driving around town in. Bought an frs which makes me not really miss the s2000 except for is 40 extra hp.
I'm not sure I'd agree here. I took the long way home from work DAILY when I had my MSM...As for looks, there are some really interesting looking Miatas out there...
Old 12-05-2017, 08:36 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by GT350RS
I'm not sure I'd agree here. I took the long way home from work DAILY when I had my MSM...As for looks, there are some really interesting looking Miatas out there...
Can't disagree with you in that it's fun to drive, but in terms of finding excuses to just go look at it I dunno. Like if you go over to a friends place, they won't ask to go outside to see it. Not that any of this should matter but at least the s has some level of panache.

Quick Reply: Alternatives to another S2000?