Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Are American cars really that bad

Old 01-11-2002, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only domestic cars that are worth the key to start them are Ford. I have owned a cheverlet truck and would not take another one free if it did not have plenty of warrenty. The Pontiac Formula is also nothing to bragg about but still has the extended warrenty left. General Motors is just junk in any form.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:20 PM

I was an American car kind of guy until a year or so ago. In 1995 I bought a brand spankin new Chevy lumina sedan for my wife. Within 3 months I paid it off, so we had in mind she would drive the thing forever. Well, it lasted 82,500 miles and 5 years before the transmission and the engine blew. We ended up selling it to a junkyard. I swore I would never ever buy another domestic again in my life. I bought a Honda Odyssey to replace that.

On the other hand, In 1996 I bought a used 1993 Ford Mustang 2.3L for myself to drive. It had 52,000 miles on it, and was running strong up until I sold it to get my S2000. In the end it had 105,000 miles on it and I felt it would last a lot longer. I kick myself in the ass for selling it.

I will never, ever, ever buy a GM product again, but I would possibly buy a Ford.
Old 01-11-2002, 09:27 PM

Wow. All this slamming of American cars..
I have quite the opposite experiences:

1st car: 1985 Chevrolet Cavalier ( 2.0 Liter .. AM RADIO only!! ) But the sucker ran for just over 160,000 miles when I got rid of it and the engine was still working great. But the body rusted pretty bad.. guess that's what you get living in a state that believes that there should be more salt on the road then actual snow.

2nd car: 1991 Buick Regal. I got that sucker around 87,000 miles before I put it into a concrete wall. Never had a single problem with it.

3rd car: 1995 Saturn SL2 ( I was bent on getting a car that would not rust ) Sold it in 1999 with around 40,000 miles on it. Only problem: warped rotors ( once )

4th Car: 1999 Chevrolet Tahoe. It now has 28,340 miles on it and not a single problem.

And finally the S2000: So far 7,492 miles no problems except for that damn plastic window which is already very hazy. Is there anything that can remove that haze? I've tried everything I can think of.
Old 01-12-2002, 12:46 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Seb2k
[B]Is there anything that can remove that haze?
Old 01-12-2002, 02:15 AM

No, they are not.
Old 01-12-2002, 11:11 AM

I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with American cars, necessarily, they run decently and will probably last as long as most Japanese cars.....BUT

They will look horrible doing it. At 100,000 miles, your engine will probably run, brakes work, etc, but your interior will be falling apart, the car will squeak whenever you look at a bump, the suspension and steering will have loosened up, etc....American cars, for the most part,are either built to be soulless transportation pods for people who don't think about their car any more than they think about their toaster (Think chevy lumina, malibu, buicks, etc) or they are built with the kind of styling, build quality, and interior materials quality that makes you think a seven year old bought the car since he outgrew his Fisher Price little tykes coupe (Think Pontiac, Ford Mustang ['99+, I like the styling of 94-98]). It never ceases to amaze me that people will pay the same money for a Cavalier or Sunfire that they would for a Civic or Corolla. Sure, the cars may last the same time, but at 100,000 miles, the Civic will seem like it has 50,000, the Cavalier will seem like it has 200,000. My Mom, who aways claimed Buy American, had a 1997 Chrysler Concorde, which was falling apart after two years. We traded it for a 2001 Honda Accord, and will never go back to American again.
Old 01-12-2002, 12:55 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HondaGuy347
[B]At 100,000 miles, your engine will probably run,
Old 01-13-2002, 06:38 PM

most american cars are inexpensive when compare to imports. Thats what the american car makers are targeting. You see alot of commericals always comparing prices. "you get more and pay less". Well you get what you pay for. Also while everyone his designer better engines, American car makers are making better day time running lights, you seen the commericals.

After WWII, with the rest of the world in ruins, we had the only major manufacturing infustructure. There where not much competition and we can demand a high price for everything. It was the roaring 50s. I belive it started in a late 70's. Taxes was so high to many companies stop introducing better products. Why spend money on making something better and paying lot a taxes when people will by whatever is our there. Stuff like TVs, radios would go up in price, not like how it is now. Our factories where getting old and outdated. Car makers managerment decision to control everything from the top. Innovation was stop.

At the same the the everyone else was rebuilding their factories with new tech and tools. The japanese car makers was managing from the Line. This created a high quality of goods. newer cars was produced. shapes of cars started to be more rounded. The american car makers follow suit, but was still lack the tools tools the create at high quality. Next the japanese car makers change shapes with less rounded and sharper lines and panels. Again american car makers follow. I think the gap is closing but, as long as american car makers target the lower cost maket things will not change much.

just me 2cent
Old 01-14-2002, 03:08 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by douglasr
[B]

Cars built in the UK have improved a lot - they are all owned by foreign companies !.
Old 01-14-2002, 04:14 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by 2kturkey
Yeah, I remember the Sterling - it was a Honda (Acura) Legend reskin if I recall correctly. What sort of a damning comment is that on Honda then??
My uncle had that Sterling long ago. No, it wasn't a reskin of the Legend. It had nothing to do with Honda at all.

Quick Reply: Are American cars really that bad