Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Another Baby Driven Car Decision

Old 11-05-2016, 11:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another Baby Driven Car Decision

Like a couple other posters, I recently have had a baby prompt me to contemplate if I can justify keeping my beloved S2000, and if not, what other cars might fill (partially)my S2000's shoes as a fair weather weekend ride.

Factors against keeping the S2000 include: 1. weekday requirement to pick-up and/or drop-off duty for daycare and 2. I want to share automotive enthusiasm with my baby boy (and have wife along too). So far, these factors have limited my S2000 drives to solitary trips to run errands...ugh!

I've never done auto cross, but I wonder if getting into a season of that would make not make keeping my S2000 seem like a waste.

If I ultimately decide S2000 no longer fits my lifestyle (though still reluctant to make that call), I have come up with a few options that I think best fit my requirements, ranging from practical needs (like seats for my wife and child and the length of my garage, which is very short) and preferences for manual transmission, rear-wheel drive and another fair weather convertible. Though I intend to test drive all serious options (though finding an opportunity is another story), I'd be interested in hearing opinions listed in order of current preference.

1. 1-series convertible: I have not decided between a 128i and a post-2011 135i. For me, the pros include: 1. marginal length increase over S2000 (so it fits in garage and I anticipate short wheelbase feels sporty), 2. Though they have their own mechanical issues, it seems they have nothing catastrophic like e9x M3 rod bearings or e46 M3 Vanos issues, 3. Lighter (though still fat compared to the S) than many other 4 seat convertibles, 4. Decent power (especially the 135i), and 5. Not super common (at least in my area).

2. Toyubaru FRS/BRZ: I don't sense large differences between brands. For me, pros include: 1. Light weight, 2. Fairly reliable, and 3. Corner carving abilities. I really like to have a fair weather convertible, but this might be a good closed top option, especially if my young son hates sun, wind, etc.

3. FIAT 500 Abarth Cabrio: This car might be too toy-like, but pros for me include: 1 featherweight despite being a convertible, 2. Roof rails intact might be safer for child occupant, 3. fuel efficient, 4 dirt cheap and wouldn't care where I drive or park it (as I do with the S and possibly would with the other options). It appears there are reliability issues but the cheapness overcomes some of those issues for me.

4. Subaru WRX STI (previous generation post-2011): This is more of a wild card for me, and pros include: 1. Expanding seasons and weather where driving it makes sense, 2. Might have a little more "specialness" than other choices, 3. Only 4 door option where I know even our rear facing child seat would fit day-one, and 4. AWD would be a departure from (i.e. new experience) my previous car experience.
The following users liked this post:
d16tof22 (11-05-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 12:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't have too much experience with many of the cars of the list, but it might be worth considering the Camaro V6 1LE, it's got all the good stuff and a bit more bulky than option 1-3
Old 11-05-2016, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by 879
I don't have too much experience with many of the cars of the list, but it might be worth considering the Camaro V6 1LE, it's got all the good stuff and a bit more bulky than option 1-3
Thanks for the suggestion. My wife and I drove a previous generation Camaro convertible (Hertz V6 variety), and it seemed bulky...like much too large of a car for me. I like the downsized current generation, and it might actually fit in my garage, but I like buying cars after they depreciate for a few years. The current generation Camaros are just too new.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:51 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Wait until the kid is here and learn from that. Small BMW is going to be no fun loading the little guy up.

my s sat for 2 years, became a weekend or track only car once we had our son. I enjoy bringing him with me in my daily. Debating another sports car and strongly considering a second row sports car. Gt350R is top in my list and swinging for the extra back seats.
Old 11-05-2016, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by rob-2
Wait until the kid is here and learn from that. Small BMW is going to be no fun loading the little guy up.

my s sat for 2 years, became a weekend or track only car once we had our son. I enjoy bringing him with me in my daily. Debating another sports car and strongly considering a second row sports car. Gt350R is top in my list and swinging for the extra back seats.
Our son made his arrival... he is going on 5 months old, though I'm in no hurry to make a move. If forced to sell the S2000, I'd probably at least wait until the spring. And, I wouldn't look for a replacement car until the S sold, which could take a while as I almost certainly would list it for sale privately. In the meantime, I'm just pitching some ideas.

As far as a 4 seat convertible, I have heard it is easier (than a 2 door coupe) getting kids in and out of the backseat with the top down. And theoretically that would always be the case, since any replacement would be a fair weather vehicle. Would definitely have to try with our son if we settle on a vehicle.
Old 11-05-2016, 05:43 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

ndfan, congrats on the new addition! Just a thought, before that car purchase. Any others potentially in the oven? Got to consider this as once one comes, others seem to come much more easily. I settled on a van. Best choice I made, for the long run (vacations, school, sports, music lesson, etc).

Old 11-05-2016, 09:01 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Awesome. I read too quickly missing baby already arrived! Congratulations.

I quickly gave up any hopes of 2 doors. My son is now of the age he can managed to get in and out of the car on his own. That's when I think two doors becomes possible.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep the s and buy a Fit (or some other cheap beater).

Kid can pay for his own damn college.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:36 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

I like the Abarth Cabrio the most out of your choices. Cool, hip, and fun car. Loves to rev and drive hard. You can be in a new or near new one. Good warranty and financing.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure your carseat fits in the back before deciding on any of these. I bought my 135i a while back from a new dad that sold his S2000 for the 1 series only to find out the carseat didn't even fit.

Quick Reply: Another Baby Driven Car Decision