Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Another bites the dust, Audi announces no more manual in the R8 for 2015 :(

Old 03-12-2014, 02:11 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Another bites the dust, Audi announces no more manual in the R8 for 2015 :(

One of the big reasons I loved the mighty R8 is because Audi still realized the market for a manual tranny car. But it seems by 2015, they will go to S-tronic only which means another car falls off the exclusive list of cars that are still being offered with 3 pedals.

Do you guys think this would keep the values of the v8/v10 manual cars?

This is one car that would be great to have in my garage stable
Old 03-12-2014, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has been known for a while now, unfortunately. Apparently less than 15% of gallardo's ordered in the last 7 years have been equipped with a manual transmission. For an S2000 owner this boggles the mind, but the proof is in the numbers - people aren't wanting to row gears anymore. It isn't just the exotics either. Porsche and BMW have been going this way for a long time now too. The amount of people wanting third pedal cars is dropping off.

I read somewhere today that over 1,000 Huracan's have already been sold in just the two months that Lamborghini has been taking orders for them. Lamborghini sold 1221 Gallardo's (coupe and spyder models) in total for 2012. Sales aren't hurting so why spend the time to develop a car with multiple transmission options?
Old 03-12-2014, 03:16 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Doesn't really surprise me now that auto versions are as quick or quicker in most cases. In super car or near super car I see the need to be able to shift quickly enough to hit those 0-60 times everyone drools over; thus lending itself to an autobox.

But lets get real. People don't want manuals because they want to text and driver in their cars
Old 03-12-2014, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by s4play
...by 2015, they will go to S-tronic only...

Do you guys think this would keep the values of the v8/v10 manual cars?
I expect the dollar value of the manual cars to remain unchanged. The "most desirable" and hence models that command the highest resale will remain those with "trick" auto trannies along with all the other options. But it will certainly make private sales of the manual R8's very easy.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard or read owners of used auto-trans sports cars complain they couldn't find a manual car when they were ready to buy. There is little reason to take the hit from trading with a dealer when you can post a single ad and sell your car quickly to an enthusiast with cash in hand.

I guess the bottom line is you will be paying roughly the same but from a private seller. When it's time to sell you get more money than a dealer would offer. Whether that fits the definition of "keep the values" is up to you.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it, get a used R8 V10 with a manual

Or perhaps a Ferrari 360/430 Spider would be nice as well..tough choices
Old 03-13-2014, 05:26 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I think laziness is a factor, but I think a good portion of people that can afford these cars are getting on in years, and have hip/arthritis problems lol.

One of my buddy's Grandfather just bought a C7 convertible yesterday. He went with the 6 speed auto because he's had hip surgery.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:25 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

6 spd f430s have been slowly increasing in price. I expect the same thing happen to all the last gen 6 spd last gen exotics.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:40 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by EricJT7
Do it, get a used R8 V10 with a manual

Or perhaps a Ferrari 360/430 Spider would be nice as well..tough choices
One of the reasons I've been following this very closely is that I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a certified R8 v10

I finally convinced my wife it's a practical supercar and she agreed to let me keep it next to my other baby! Originally she said we have way too many "weekend" cars and would not want another one in our garage that just sits. I promised her this one I would drive more often for sure...hehe

One of my dream F-cars has always been a yellow Stradale. The deal breaker that has me on the fence about buying one has always been the F1-tranny since the Stradale only comes in that one choice. I also see a trend of 6-speed cars holding or increasing ever so slightly in value. I think dealers play it down but in the private party world a manual tranny sells much better IMO.

The E-gear, DCT, PDK and glorrified auto's of the world all share one issue ~ wear and $$$$ to replace/service. I would hate to be on the receiving end of one of those bills. This makes the manual cars more cost effective, especially in the pre-owned world.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:44 PM

Doesn't sound like money is a concern, get what you want. Manuals aren't going up in value, yet - maybe in 30 years. Exotics are colossal liabilities, unless you moth-balled a 275 GTB...

Audi gave away both R-tronic & 6-speed v10's at the end of the 2013, offering 25k off MSRP. Folks in that demographic aren't usually enthusiast, rather affluent individuals who like to sip espresso while fighting traffic. Also, "rich guy" isn't worried about longevity, he's selling after 3 years for the next mind f**k anyways...

CPO cars are a tremendous value, buy with confidence. One of my colleagues daily's a v10 R8, other than rear tires every 5k, it's been quite the beater...
Old 03-17-2014, 01:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't you guys get it? These companies are selling to people buying the cars, not enthusiasts of 10 year old Hondas. If their paying customers demanded manuals over DCTs, that is what they would be making. Alas, the market has spoken.

Quick Reply: Another bites the dust, Audi announces no more manual in the R8 for 2015 :(