Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Another one of these threads... Cayman S or Elise?

Old 03-24-2014, 03:08 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Another one of these threads... Cayman S or Elise?

Cliff Notes version: I'm historically very conservative about spending money and I think I'd like to take the plunge and get an Elise or a Cayman S. Which one should I get and why?

I always try to be Mr. Responsible when it comes to spending money. I once purchased what I consider to be an expensive car (I'll give you clue, it brought me to this site in the first place, LOL) but the timing was all wrong. At the time I made that purchase, I was young and I owned my own (soon to falter) business, and the car was the first thing to go when things went south.

Even though that was years ago and I have had many years of financial success under my belt, I have always since been gun shy about buying anything remotely expensive. Every time I build up a surplus of funds, I put the money to better use than cars. Save a bunch of money, put 25% down on a house. Save a bunch of money, pay off wife's astronomical law school debt. So on and so forth.

But now I'm at a point where the big financial obligations one encounters at my stage of life have all been addressed. I have no debt other than my house and I'm way ahead of the game on that. I always max out my retirement funds, I have enough in savings to tide me over for a year if I lost my job (which is unlikely) and I just generally benefit from being paid reasonably well and, more significantly, by avoiding virtually all indulgences.

Further, my gazillion horsepower turbo Miata has been sitting in "almost finished" project mode for what feels like an eternity, and my wife simply is never going to let me spend the consecutive weekends in the garage to finish it or to then keep it running. Yeah, yeah, I should put my wife in her place and be a super stud like all of you guys. I can sugar coat it, but the truth is that I love my wife far more than my hobbies and I don't get to see her often enough with my work schedule, so when she gives me the stink eye for wandering into the garage to work on my favorite hobby, even if it's unfair on her part, I love her too much to argue with her about it.

All this leads me to my point: I have finally run out of excuses not to buy a new (to me) toy car.

Which car to buy?

-I have always wanted an NSX but they are just too expensive relative to their age. I don't even care about the fact that other cars outperform them. I love the way they drive. They are just too old for the money.

-I considered a C6 ZO6, but I think that's more than I should spend. They seem to be going for about $45k and I'd really like to stay in the mid to low $30k range. If I simply can't find something else that I like, I could probably swing it, but I'd rather not. Further, I don't love the C6. They are fast as can be, and I like them a great deal, but I really prefer smaller, nimbler cars.

-I really love the Lotus Elise. I test drove this one today. It was the first Elise I've driven and it was pretty awesome. I like how the engine revs and it handled really well. This is going to sound weird, but it really felt a great deal like my Miata. My Miata has a ton of aftermarket suspension upgrades and wide, sticky tires, plus no power steering, so it felt very familiar. I didn't push the car too hard but it felt like it cornered similarly as well. However, there are some negatives. Getting in and out of the car is harder than the Internet says it is. I am a small guy. I weigh about 145 lbs and I'm about 5'8" and I had a good deal of trouble getting in and out. That's nothing I can't handle in the fitness department, but I really wonder how easy it is to get in and out of if you're parked anywhere near another car. It seems that it would be hard not to bump the other car with your door. As for the particular Elise I drove today, I don't care for the color and I think it's slightly over priced. That said, it does seem to be a good representation of what I'm looking for and I may buy it if other I look at are not in as good of shape. The other big problem with Elise's in general is that they really do feel less safe than other cars. I'm sure it's actually safer than my Miata but it doesn't feel like it. I think there's a good chance that my wife will not be too happy about that. I also think there's a zero percent chance she'll ever ride in it. I worry that after driving this car, everything else will pale in comparison.

-I am also seriously considering the Cayman S (first gen). I will probably drive one tomorrow, but I'm a little worried, frankly. I really like the Cayman S (more than the Vette) but I don't get all excited about it the way I do the Lotus. My big concern is that it is just going to outweigh the Elise in terms of practicality and safety to such a profound degree that I can't even consider the Elise, and that makes me sad. Haha. I worry that the driving dynamics will feel tame by comparison to my Miata or to the Elise, but the practicality of it will make it the clear winner.

In any event, I just mostly wanted to put my thoughts on paper (screen?). This is likely the only frivolous or indulgent purchase I am going to make so I'd like to get feedback from any source possible.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been doing a ton of reading on the Elise. Got myself all obsessed with getting an Elise over the winter. I've not driven one - which likely a good thing as I'm sure it would make not buying one pretty tough (exactly how I got into my s2k).

I think I've walked myself off the ledge though - as I keep reading stories about them getting totaled for what would be nominal damage to any other car.

Funny that you have a Miata- as I started looking at the Elise because I wanted a great track car - but I've recently started thinking a lot about getting a NA Miata to play with. Figure it's cheap, light and parts are plentiful.

I don't have a perspective on the Cayman other than I love the way they look. My biggest fear would prob be the maintenance associated with a Porsche.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

OP, you write that this is purely a TOY car, so why would "practicality" even come into the picture?
Everything you wrote attests to the fact that you really want the Elise - it's very clear. I say go for it!

About the issue of getting in and out... my buddy (6', 215 lbs) owns an Elise, drives it regularly, and has no issues with this. The only thing he doesn't like about it is it gets uncomfortably confining on long trips (say over a 2-3 hours' drive), but as you're much smaller that shouldn't be a problem for you.

I love the Elise, personally. To me it takes what's good about the Miatas/S2000's of the world to their logical extreme, and is about the "purest" affordable sports car out there.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:53 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

In regards to the cayman, google D Chunk and IMS and that should keep you away, it did for me. Seriously though, a car that "prestigous" and expensive (more so due to their known beefiest profit margins), the D chunk failure shouldn't exist.
I was all for buying one, but the maitenance kept me away. Did some research, turns out the maitenance isn't too bad all things considered (the timing belt seems to be easier on that car most modern cars once you remove the front seats), but those failures sent me running.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:57 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

I love the elise, seems like they're generally reliable as far as the drivetrain is concerned. I have heard of the A pillar breaking off since people like using it to pull themselves out of the car. However, I cannot get in and out without having the door wide open. I can get in sorta fine, just literally slide in with my arms up, getting out is a chore though, and that ultimately was the deal breaker.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:58 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

hey E.G, get the elise...

For a toy car, IMO, you can't get better than an Elise/Exige. Remember they may seem overpriced, but they hold their value extremely well. When i look at "toy" cars, i look at total cost of ownership. Not just which car is cheaper. The elise/exige, is cheaper to run when you include depreciation, than almost any other car short of exotics.

The Cayman imo doesn't feel as special, even though it is a great car. Also they get expensive to repair/maintain compared to the elise/exige.

Also you get use to getting in/out. You'll master it within the first 100 miles. Also the elise/exige aren't too bad in terms of safety. Ive seen some pretty bad accidents and the cockpit holds up surprisingly well.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:46 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

I love orange cars and that well really shows it off. They are a blast to drive. My buddy had one and his wife would not drive in it. If it's a real toy, you could do a lot worse. Drive the Porsche, but go with your heart.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Neither. Pick up a 2000 to 2002 Mr2 Spyder with a blown motor and then go pick up a 1.8 Celica Gts motor and swap it... U can' have a "Poor Mans Elise" for $10k....

2195 lbs stock...Rear engine....Just think about having close to 200 hp flywheel horse power (bolt ons) and 2100lbs ( light diet).

They can look real nice with a nice drop, Lotus Elise wheels, spoiler and the TRD lip kit... Check Spyderchat.com

Saw a nice 2000 Mr2 Spyder in WHITE on Craigslist for $2600 obo, blown head gasket. The ad was gone the second day it was posted. I doubt it sold that fast, they probably changed their mind..

Let me know what you think.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the hots for a Chrome Orange Lotus Elise. No other color will do.

Prices are actually increasing one them.

That car is a panty dropper, especially in Chrome Orange.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:31 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Elise. The Cayman seems like a nice car as a DD or for road trips but if its just for driving fast on back roads/tracks, the Elise wins hands down. I would have one if I had the space for it, unfortunately we are a one car family now which means we need a car that can do it all. From what I understand, the Elise is not that car (for what its worth, the S2000 is marginal at "doing it all" as well).

Quick Reply: Another one of these threads... Cayman S or Elise?