Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Any Focus SVT owners out there?

Old 05-10-2004, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Focus SVT owners out there?

I'm almost ready to ink a deal on a 2004 Focus SVT w/European Package. We're down below invoice on the car, and that's before the 3K rebate. I've looked at other options (new) and I've decided on this, with the Mazda 3 a VERY close second.

But before I do the deal, I'd love to hear from some owners about their experience with the car. My only real concern about buying an SVT Focus is reliability. I don't expect bulletproof reliability (hey, I also own a BMW...), but I don't want a nightmare either. Any first-hand experience?

And like I said, I've decided on the car, so please, no "hey, you should really get Car X instead". Thanks.

-R
Old 05-10-2004, 07:08 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Selby, about three months ago I was looking for a new beater car. The nicest thing I could find for the money was a leftover 2003 SVT Focus with the Euro Package. I paid just over $15,700 for it and it was one hell of a deal. After roughly 6200 miles I've had no serious issues. It is cold natured and I will need to have the computer flashed with an update to take care of that. I'm averaging 27 mpg almost no matter how I drive it. The worst thing is that it takes the expensive gas. It rides well, handles well, is reasonably quick, the Recaro's are great, and the stereo needs no upgrades. For the price it's a hell of a car. For the price I couldn't get into a Mazda 3.

It you want to talk about it PM me your # and a good time to call and I'll call you. I'm 2 time zones east of you. There are some minor things I don't like about the car but they are VERY minor and they don't bother my wife at all.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Focus SVT is a good car. I'm not sure about reliability, but driven normally it should last a while. The only reliability concern would stem from balance at high RPMs (which you will do I assume). I'm sure it's balanced enough, but almost certainly not as good as the Honda B18, K20, and F20. Things that you may run into down the road include bad crank bearings and other vibration-related wear.

I am just speculating, of course. I'm kind of biased against Ford because of their behavior. The Pinto, and now the Explorer fiasco just shows that they have a blatant disregard for human life. they actually quantified the value of a life in their decision analysis on repairing the Pinto. They chose not to. dispicable.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:15 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'm going to go for it. Appreciate the feedback.

CG, PM will be sent shortly...

-R
Old 10-15-2004, 10:35 AM

I have a JRSC SVT Focus that I beat to death day in and day out. I bought it mostly for track day outings, but it's just too fun to drive. I can't stay out of it!

I've had no problems with reliability, however, due probably to my very aggressive apexing at the track the trailing arm on the left rear of my JRSC SVT #1 failed on the freeway causing it's premature demise. I'm now on #2 and waiting for beefed up trailing arms before I go bouncing over apex berms again.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

is there a SVT 4-door hatch. my neighbor has a focus with SVT badges and wheels, but it has 4 doors. I thought they were 2-doors like the ZX3.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:49 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

After 5 months this pops back up. Yes Steven there is a 4 door / door SVTF called the SVTF ZX5. In 04 the Euro package was available this way also.

I wonder if Selby picked one up?
Old 10-15-2004, 12:38 PM

5-door SVT Focus is my daily driver and I love it. If you haven't checked out www.focaljet.com you probably should. Far and above the best Ford Focus online resource ever. I'm almost out of warranty on mine (34,750) but I'm not worried. I think the most common problem is the DSI (dual-stage intake) cable breaking. I usually shift at 4k and it get's me going enough to get around DC Beltway traffic. My only mods are an intake, shifter & knob and front stress bar.

On the practical side it's great to. I'm a musician and can haul all my gear and then some with no problems with the seats folded down. The heated seats are great in the winter (or in the summer if you wanna play a mean trick on your passenger ) As was said earlier, the sound system is good by itself. If you can, you might want to get one that doesn't have the winter package (heated seats, heated mirrors & traction control). The traction control can't really be turned all the way off below 20 mph. I know it sounds crazy, just blame the lawyers. Check out focaljet.com and PM me if you have any more questions.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by steven975,May 11 2004, 12:20 AM
The Focus SVT is a good car. I'm not sure about reliability, but driven normally it should last a while. The only reliability concern would stem from balance at high RPMs (which you will do I assume). I'm sure it's balanced enough, but almost certainly not as good as the Honda B18, K20, and F20. Things that you may run into down the road include bad crank bearings and other vibration-related wear.

I am just speculating, of course. I'm kind of biased against Ford because of their behavior. The Pinto, and now the Explorer fiasco just shows that they have a blatant disregard for human life. they actually quantified the value of a life in their decision analysis on repairing the Pinto. They chose not to. dispicable.
Nothing wrong with the balance of the engine. I know you're just speculating, but more manufacturers than just Honda can properly balance an engine.

And don't think every other automotive manufacturer doesn't apply a formula to human life vs. fixing a safety issue. I'm in the industry and it is not uncommon. Mitsubishi got caught recently, remember that fiasco? Remember Fight Club?
Old 10-15-2004, 01:10 PM

I have a 2002 SVT Focus without the weather package...I'm lovin' it. I too am a musician and I can get my amp and guitars around no problem. This is my daily driver and it fun to drive. I do want to put a larger anti-sway bar on the front and back.I drive aggressively in this car and I REV it to 7K frequently. No problems. The car really need no mods.It's good for track, autox and grocery store outtings.I have the 3 door model. Black with red seat inserts. My 2002 S2000 is Berlina with All red interior Yo. Hey,u too can match your S!

Ummm...Where's Selby

Quick Reply: Any Focus SVT owners out there?